1964 Imperial, other rims that would fit over disks

64Imperial

Reaction score
Hey I have a 1964 Imperial and I'm trying to find other options of rims that would be similar enough to my OEM set, but could accommodate a rotor better. I still want to retain the 5x5.5 bolt pattern and 15inch rim so i can still use my hub caps.

I thought about 1976 to 1986 Jeep Cj5 rims but I'm not sure if the offset would be close enough.

Let me know what you think! Thank you in advance!

Caution: I did the same thing with my 65 SF and the rims became a big issue AFTER I put in the rear brakes. I had assurances from 4 different shops that they knew what they were doing and discovered none of them did and replaced axles, shims and rims along the way. Just giving you a word of caution to research it well and that the rims and the brakes are compatible. After almost finishing my complete restoration project, I am considering writing a book and calling it "What Not To Do!"

Last edited:
Caution: I did the same thing with my 65 SF and the rims became a big issue AFTER I put in the rear breaks. I had assures from 4 different shops that they knew they were doing and discovered none of them did and replaced axles, shims and rims along the way. Just giving you a word of caution to research it well and that the rims and the brakes are compatible. After almost finishing my complete restoration project, I am considering writing a book and calling it "What Not To Do!"
I don't blame you! That sounds like a major headache! I'm kinda in the same process now and I'm just trying to gather information before I move on to the next step. I'll definitely consider your advice!

Why would the wheel bolt pattern affect your OEM wheelcovers fitting?

Just curious,
CBODY67

Why would the wheel bolt pattern affect your OEM wheelcovers fitting?

Just curious,
CBODY67
Oh I just meant that the rims need to be for the same bolt pattern because my brakes are still the same 5x5.5. Sorry about the confusion, I kinda put two different things in one line

I put "wheels 15" 5x5.5" into the search engine at www.summitracing.com and some steel wheels came up from a few brands. You can go the websites for those two brands and possibly find something that might work in non-chrome wheels, possibly?

good luck thats an odd bolt pattern to find things for cars, it was predominantly used in truck chassis other than your car

I put "wheels 15" 5x5.5" into the search engine at www.summitracing.com and some steel wheels came up from a few brands. You can go the websites for those two brands and possibly find something that might work in non-chrome wheels, possibly?
Thank you for the suggestion! I have been searching on summit and found out ford trucks, jeep, International Scout and dodge are probably my best bets. I just didn't want to pay for brand new rims if I can pick up one from the junk yard to try out.

I've also noticed a bias as you search for items on summit. They don't always show you cheaper OEM style rims, but put up the "universal" and "custom" fits. The expensive ones lol :p

I noticed that when I was looking up brake calipers. If you use their filters to select things like rotor thickness 1.25, you get only Wilwood calipers. If you search by vehicle, like a 1995 Dodge ram, you get OEM parts that are way cheaper!

Now rotors I haven't had the same issue which is good, but something I'd thought I'd tell everyone in case they do the same thing.

good luck thats an odd bolt pattern to find things for cars, it was predominantly used in truck chassis other than your car
I've been hearing that alot! Lol it also doesn't help that my front spindles are A5 and A3 bearings... like a truck! Lol among other things I think they just took off from like a D200!

"I am considering writing a book and calling it "What Not To Do!"
Dab Nab It, I Thought I Had DIBS on That. LOL
Tony.M
I think we all need to release one at this point lol I've heard it all and had my own fun experiences! Honestly, if it wasn't for this great group I'd be sunk!

You could try squarebody Chevy Rallye truck rims, available from roughly 1973 through 1987. They are the right BP, were used on disc-brake-equipped pickups, and look good, too. You wheelcovers will work on them. These are 15" x 7".

A plain steel 15" x 6" Chevy steel pickup wheel can be found, too; but they appear to be fairly rare these days, versus the Rallyes.

One thing about Summit is that they will alter their listings every so often, as to what brands and such are displayed. Going to the particular wheel seller's website usually brings up the options which summit might have deleted, usually.

Disregard the above on the wheels, the Ford five-lug pickup wheels are 5x5-1/2". Chevy uses a 5x5" BP.

Hey I have a 1964 Imperial and I'm trying to find other options of rims that would be similar enough to my OEM set, but could accommodate a rotor better. I still want to retain the 5x5.5 bolt pattern and 15inch rim so i can still use my hub caps.

I thought about 1976 to 1986 Jeep Cj5 rims but I'm not sure if the offset would be close enough.

Let me know what you think! Thank you in advance!
Did you find rotors that fit your Imp, with 5.5” bolt circle?

Did you find rotors that fit your Imp, with 5.5” bolt circle?
So yes and no lol it's been kind of a battle.

Front rotors off of a 1995 Dodge ram 1500 fit but they have some play and you'll need to put a bearing spacer on the spindle, like a metal ring, and then the rotor fits. The other issue with these rotors is that you need a hub ring so your Rims sit perfectly on the rotor hub. You'll also need a wheel spacer to fit your drum brake rims over it.

I also milled down my front hubs out of the original front drums to fit a 1990 Ford F150 4wd rotor and that seams to work well but they are thicker rotors around the hub bore and the hub lip becomes non existent when you place it on. It also would be complicated to create a hub ring to fit them. And the OEM rims would still need a spacer.

So I'm currently looking at 2 piece rotor set up that I can have custom made (at least the rotor hats) and I should have a better fit. I'm also still looking for rims that will fit over a disc brake set up so as long as the hub has a lip I won't have any fitment issues over the calipers.

Back