1965-1966 vacuum trunk release install

I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures that show how you mount that metal bracket that holds the push button to the dash frame, and how it pokes through the glove box liner. Thanks!

I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures that show how you mount that metal bracket that holds the push button to the dash frame, and how it pokes through the glove box liner. Thanks!

That's the next challenge. So far, here's what I've found, for 1966. The pictures below are from... azblackhemi, from a thread dated September 2020. It looks like the switch is installed on the small support used for the tissue dispenser (the picture shows the under side of the support).

Switch-2.jpg

Switch-3.jpg

The thing is that the switch I have has a different support. The 1965 and 1966 parts manuals show the same part numbers for the glovebox. Maybe factory changed the way the switch was installed ? Indeed, with 1 screw only, that thing cannot stay in place correctly. Or it's not the original setup.

Release-19.jpg

Another picture I found on eBay shows the same setup as azblackhemi's.

Switch-1.jpg

Last edited:
Now, the switch. Of course, be sure it works well before installing, to avoid future headaches, like leaks (air being sucked into the intake manifold via the switch) or non-functioning release.
The switch connects to the hose towards the trunk release, and to the hose towards the vacuum tank.
When at rest, the hose towards the release is at atmospheric pressure (yellow arrows in first picture). There is a small sort of felt to avoid dirt from getting in.
When one pushes the button, the air in the hose towards the release is sucked thanks to the vacuum tank (yellow arrows in the second picture), and opens the trunk.

In my case the it wouldn't flow between the 2 hoses when pushing the button. I drowned it in penetrating oil for few hours, pushed the button many times, and it started to work.

Release-20b.jpg

Release-20c.jpg

Hoses now connected to each other at the trunk lid level. One clip holds one hose, the other clip holds the other one. Pay attention, the clips must be rather close to the lid, otherwise they will interfere with the hinges when one closes the trunk.

Release-21.jpg

The vacuum tank is also installed, and partially connected. As expected, I had to disconnect the low pressure tube of the air conditioning system, as the tank wouldn't find a way to its final location with the tube in place.

Release-22.jpg

I also replaced some of the screws in the glovebox compartment, that were rusted. I'll have to remove that rust spot on what appears to be a kind of cup holder?

GloveBox-01.jpg

All hardware provided by @azblackhemi :)

GREAT work, thanks for the update. Power trunk release is one of my favorite options. Good luck getting to the finish line.

And now the conclusion...

I've connected all hoses, and... it works !:):) But it didn't at the beginning, because I had inverted the 2 hoses on the vacuum tank.

At the firewall level, I have worked on the grommet from the engine bay, as it is virtually impossible to access it from the inside. So, what I've done is that I gently pulled it from the engine bay side (it was still soft), and slid it. Then I inserted the hose coming from the trunk release switch through the firewall then through the grommet.

Also, as the existing hose (intake manifold to heating system) was just hard as stone due to decades of heating/cooking by the engine, I cut it, put a little connector and used an extra vacuum hose. I preferred this to trying to route the hose up to the heating system in the dash.

Release-24.jpg

Then, I connected the vacuum tank to the hoses. One needs to pay attention, the middle inlet goes to the trunk release switch, whereas the outer inlet goes to the T-connector - on the picture, it is behind the low pressure tube of the A/C system. From this connector, one hose goes to the intake manifold, and the other hose goes to the heating system.

Release-23.jpg

Me too - thanks for the info.

FYI to anyone viewing this thread - I'm still looking for the vacuum hose clips for the trunk lid hinge, and any of the special grommets.

Back