1965 Chrysler 300 Lower Steering Column Bearing

NC300

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I just completed tearing down the steering column and found the lower bearing to be very notchy feeling. The size is a little odd as it is 1-5/16 (1.3125”) with a 3/4” inner diameter. The bearing sits inside the rubber isolator in the aluminum casting at the bottom.

i was able to source the upper bearing and isolator from DMT. Has anyone found a source for the lower bearing?

Nelson

upload_2021-7-25_18-27-18.jpeg

Last edited:
I did not find a source, because I had my wheel all torn down and needed to get the car back in one piece ASAP. Prior to the teardown, I had a terrible squeal when I turned the wheel, and I thought it was the upper bearing, mainly because I thought there was a lower bushing that I could clean and grease, not a bearing.

Anyway, when I discovered that dead-dry, rusty, notchy bearing I:
1. removed it
2. removed the seals (red in your pic) on both sides with a dental pick
3. soaked it in kerosene and brushed it with a toothbrush, rinsed, repeat, etc
4. then I gently began to "work" the bearing little by little through its rotation while still soaked in kero and a little oil....and it got quite smooth after a few minutes
5. rinsed some more
6. cleaned and dried it
7. fully packed it in grease and reinstalled the seals.

Two and a half years later it's still smooth and quiet. Oh...I did replace the upper because I had sourced it just as you did.

Lacking that bearing, you might try my kludge and see if your can return it to serviceability.

IMG_0931.JPG
IMG_0934.JPG
IMG_0936.JPG

Thanks for the post, I appreciate it. I will give that a try this week. Thanks for the pictures.

Hi, yes I ended up getting pulling the seals and soaking it in gasoline. I blew it out with compressed air and repeated the gasoline soak. It freed up and with some nice Mobil red grease it’s now really smooth.

Thanks again for the advice!

Back