1965 New Yorker Booster for Disc Conversion

JGC403

Reaction score
I have been researching for a disc conversion for the New Yorker I came across this thread about the Dual Diaphragm Booster:

65 Fury disc brake conversion advice

I'm going to go with Wilwood Disc brake kit with the 12.19" rotor and 4 piston calipers. We are also go with an 18" wheel.

Anyways I'm having a hard time trying to find the Dual Diaphragm Booster. I found these 2 possibilities, does anyone know if these will work?

Bendix Style Dual Diaphragm Booster for Mopars
1962-74 Mopar A B E Body 8" Dual Power Brake Booster Master Cyl Disc or Drum | eBay

We are re-doing the brakes to get her back on the road then will be getting the interior re-done. Next will be going through and upgrading the entire suspension and steering with Firm Feel parts, changing the color of the car from white to black, and Building the 413 that is in with twin turbos and adding a GV OD. That is the plan anyways.

1965 New Yorker exterior 1.jpg

The '68-71 dual diaphragm Bendix booster is normally used for disc brake conversions on your application. Fly in the ointment is that this booster was not used for dual piston calipers. It might still work. Converting to discs is not as simple as it sounds when you are not using stock components. The normal conversion for a '65 Chrysler product would be to find a '68-'71 Booster and front spindles with calipers. The Front brake hoses are also different so they will need to be changed as well. The '68-'71 booster used a split brake system. It did not use a portioning valve. There was a metering valve installed at the front cross member split for the front brakes and there was a brake warning valve installed under the master cylinder on the frame rail. If you bought a disc conversion kit, these normally come with an adjustable brake portioning valve which is installed in place of the stock brake warning valve. If you go that route, you do not need to worry about the cross member metering valve. You will, however spend some time re-balancing the brake system with the adjustable valve.

You can also use the '72 and later spindles so long as you use the '72 and later rotors and calipers. Some of the very late spindles will require a change in ball joints. The '72 and later booster will not waork on a '65-66 Chrysler as they are too big to fit the available space.

Most '65-'66 Chryslers have 3/16" brake tubing to the front brakes, check to see if that is what you have as discs will not get enough fluid flow to operate properly will a smaller sized tubing.

www.boosterdewey.com sells the double diaphragm booster, it will be a lot cheaper to have a core booster rebuilt rather than buying an aftermarket repop booster.

Dave

The eBay one is not correct, but the Bendix one looks OK.

In the link they want you to select between A-body, '66-'70 B-body, '71-'74 B-body, and E-body. Is there a difference between them or will one of those be close enough for a '65 C-body?

Magnum Force sells the Wilwood kit and they give the option of adding 1 of 2 Wilwood master cylinders. Both Wilwood master cylinders use a 2 bolt mount, and the dual diaphragm booster that I need, the master uses a 4 bolt mount. Can I use an adapter to go to the 2 bolt master cylinder?

Magnum Force sells the Wilwood kit and they give the option of adding 1 of 2 Wilwood master cylinders. The Wilwood master cylinders use a 2 bolt mount, and the dual diaphragm booster that I need the master uses a 4 bolt mount, can I use an adapter to go to the 2 bolt master cylinder?

The short answer is no. No one I know of makes such a thing and the added space to incorporate the adapter would cause a lot of issues with trying to get a proper rod length to operate the master cylinder.

Dave

So no matter what I'm stuck with a cast iron master cylinder with the 4 bolt mount.

I think somebody made an adapter to use a chev or mustang booster with the two bolt aluminum master. Do not know of anyone who did that conversion though. Other members might know.

Dave

Anyone know if one of those booster for an A-body, B-body, or E-body that Dr. Diff sells would fit a C-body?

The boosters for the various body styles are not the same. They all use the same "pumpkin" but the linkage rods to the pedal assemblies are different. More importantly there is a preset boost ratio that is adjusted internally (changing the boost valve) to get the proper amount of boost for cars of different weight classes. If you try to use a light weight car booster on a C body, it is not going to stop worth a darn. You will want to find a C body configured booster and have it rebuilt. I think some members have some cores, you might want to inquire if anyone has one for sale.

Dave

Last edited:
Back