1966 300 wheel size

Bryon Mason

Reaction score
I want to change the wheels out on my 66' 300 and I'm quickly learning that I have to research EVERYTHING before making any changes. I recently read about the left hand right hand thread deal ( good thing before i put the impact on it) . I was wondering if any changes needed to be made if I wanted to go from a 14" to a 15" wheel. Whats the bolt pattern on these cars and what kind of backspacing do the wheels have? I found the information on the attached screen shot but not sure how accurate it is. I'd like to find a nice chrome 5 spoke wheel, along the lines of a Cragar SS or similar. I appreciate everyone's ones help, im learning alot from this forum!
Screenshot_20200903-100044_Samsung Internet.jpg

Std wheel for drum brake cars was 14x5.5-6.0. Left-hand studs should have an "L" stamped in the middle of them. Right-hand studs shoudl have a "R" stamped in the middle of them. RH studs can replace LH studs, IF the lug nuts are also changed. RH is "the norm" for every other brand, and Chrysler several years later. 14x6 Magnum 500s were a factory option on 300s.

Std wheel for the power disc brake cars was 15x6.
Bolt circle is 4.50", just as Fords were back then.
"Backspacing" seemed to have been invented sometime in the later 1970s or earlier 1980s, as I recall?

www.mymopar.com for FSM downloads, www.hamtramck-historical.com for other sales and spec items. Plus the link above.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

It can still look spectacular with 14-inchers.

View attachment 399804
But only if the Chrysler is actually wearing the rare Chrysler dogdish caps, which it looks like this one is.
Otherwise, it just looks kinda wrong to me.

But I saw a high-dollar 68 Hemi Roadrunner on ebay last week wearing Dodge caps with the red fratzog, which I considered unacceptable due to availability of the correct caps. Esp considering the pricetag on the car.

Back