1966 300

Redhead

Reaction score
Greetings,
New to the site obviously, I just purchased my Uncles 1966 300. I really like the 66 it has 383 with 727 torqueflite and factory A/C . Bad news is, it doesnt run. I do know that my uncle overheated it and probably blew a head gasket before parking it in my grandmas drive way for the last 10 years. Its all there minus a drivers side rear trim piece, a passenger fender skirt, and the horn button, also has a bent hood hinge. So after about 7 years of asking to purchase the car he finally sold it, unfortunately for me it was in much better shape 7 years ago. Plan A is to pull the engine apart and cross my fingers I can get away with a just a gasket set and a water pump. I'd like to get the body fixed down the road rust on lower quarters and above the one fender skirt that is there. Id like to do a color change on it to white. Tell me if thats a bad idea. I briefly thought about selling it but i cant do it. Sorry about the bad pictures

20161019_123526.jpg

20161019_123554.jpg

20161019_123630.jpg

20161019_123646.jpg

Welcome from :canada: and from another 66 300 owner! Thanks for bringing another one back from the dead!!

Congrats on your new car. Looks like you got it in time before it would give up and spiral into oblivion quickly without any care from you. I would think if the body is savable economically then the rest will be worth it. If the reverse ,then I would re think the whole thing.
Why not show some specific points of concern of the body,,trunk ,rear quarters ,floor ,,underneath ,engine compartment,etc. There is so much knowledge here concerning these cars and these guys have seen it all. They will give you a point blank opinion.
Welcome to the forum!

Welcome nice 300. Looks fairly straight and solid. No rust around windshield or C pillars/rear glass, which is a big plus. I would concentrate on getting it running, and safe, and worry about the body later. Oh, and keep the original color. Gold and black is a great color combination.You'll have no problem getting help as the '66 300's are very popular around here. More pictures please.

Last edited:
Welcome to the site from the Motor City! These are my favorite Chryslers hands down and in my opinion they look best with some color on them and gold is an excellent color.

Welcome, as 68 Nwprt said the 1966 300 seems to be the car of choice here. They are one of the best designs Chrysler ever came out with. As also mentioned leave it gold, that is a great color.

I guess it's actually green as read in another thread in which case I'd color change to gold. :D

I wouldn't call it gold. Below is a newport convertable that has the same color, this is what it looked like years ago. Not sure of the correct name for this color but some shade of green.

2016-10-20-06-26-42-1123470120.jpg

Welcome. I agree, focus getting it road worthy first. Here is another vote for gold, factory color saddle bronze.

IMG_20160709_132516317.jpg

I wouldn't call it gold. Below is a newport convertable that has the same color, this is what it looked like years ago. Not sure of the correct name for this color but some shade of green.

Ya know. . . I'm not a fan of green, but that color of green looks great. I say go with the original green. It would look pretty good with the black interior. If you really want to change some colors around, you might consider going with a white interior.

I'm guessing the tag says FF1.

I'm thinking its Haze Green like my Black one used to be....like Matt said....not mine btw

IMG_5478.JPG

Another vote for the original green. I'm new as well and restoring my 66 convertible with the help of a parts car that's identical. I've posted a lot you can see under my welcome wagon. Look under at the frame of the car. If it's solid Go for It! Surface rust does not count of course. All else is easily repaired.
Work on the mechanics first then save for or move on to body and paint. Is there water or antifreeze in the oil? That's an obvious indicator of bad head gaskets from overheating. If it does not knock you know the bottom end of the engine is probably ok. Change the water pump and thermostat, flush the radiator(pressure test radiator if you have the tool). Do the head gaskets at a minimum if you see water or antifreeze in your oil/ on the dipstick. Make sure the valves seal before putting the heads back on. Having the heads checked at a local machine shop while there off , it's is always a good idea. Be sure to torque the head bolts when reinstalling them with new head gaskets. Torque to the correct setting with a torque wrench and in the correct order. I like to use new bolts as sometimes the old ones neck and can snap off. You don't want that!
These old engines are fairly simple.
Many good mechanics on this site!
Thanks for saving another! It definitely looks worth it from what we have seen.
As mentioned earlier 66 is a favorite and looks awesome. That stock green is back in style again!

If this was cream colored it would be like the one Henry Hill drove in the begining of Goodfellas.

Back