1966 Chrysler 383 power steering pump

Reaction score
Hi guys I have a '66 Chrysler Newport. The power steering pump is starting to leak. Does anybody have a NOS power steering pump or know anybody who has one? Please let me know. My email address is johnnys1294@gmail.com Thanks a lot, John

Last edited:
Is it one of those steering pumps that need the large O-ring? If so bring the O-ring to a JohnDeer outlet and match it up to one! Thats how I found one for my 64 steering pump. After almost 10 years it's just starting to leak again... glad I picked up a spare! lol

i got a seal kit for my 66 from carquest a couple years ago. easy rebuild. paint it up make it look good too!

I don't think NOS is the way to go with an item like this as the seals internally will al be brittle and will leak in short order. You would be better off getting a rebuild kit and rebuilding yours.

When I bought my 66 300 the power steering pump was shot. I was in the same boat as you looking for a replacement. I went a pretty easy route removed the pump and reservior took the reservior off the pump and sent the pump to Rock Auto who then routed to Cardone I think. Bottom line was I received my reworked pump after about 10 days, it even came with the seal kit for the reservior. I installed the reservior put in the pump and it works perfect. I think it cost me about $38.00

Hey Big Block. Do you have a power steering cooler in front of your A/C heat exchanger or radiator? I'm having a horrible time finding the return hoses for my 383, 1966 - from steering to cooler to reservoir. If you do, can you post pics or send them to my e-mail?

I have a 66 Newport and just re-did my power steering pump and replaced the steering gear down below. You can fix these seal leaks with a $6-$9 kit from Rockauto or your local parts shop. These pumps are strong. Mine's original and never been replaced [84 k miles]. But seals will go. NOS is a nice thing to want, but when it comes to rubber parts - unless the car's a trailer princess, not a daily driver - you really ought not chance 46-year old seals on a driver.

Back