I asked before and I'll ask again, where God can I actually get a power steering pump?

My current set up has a lot of play in the steering wheel. I plan to get a firm feel gear box to go with this. Hopefully tighten it up and not have so much slop, and no leaks. I did pm rainy day so hopefully that is a good option.

Just tossing this out there...

What about changing to a Federal pump? Better yet would be a Saginaw pump. You'd have to find the brackets though. Our Products - Suspension/Steering - Power Steering Brackets

The question to ask first though is what is failing with the present pump? That tennis ball in the existing bracket makes me wonder what's going on with that.
Because the pump is adjusted wrong. The two brackets should be next to each other with a rubber bumper that goes into a slot on one of the brackets. It's the same bumper as a manual trans clutch pedal bumper. The pump bracket should be pulled from the bottom when adjusting.

As far as belt squealing goes, a fresh belt or even some aerosol "belt dressing" may solve that. Maybe both. I've had to deal with that for years on my Mopar, specifically for the power steering.

There's a guy I know across town with a '69 Road Runner, met him at a car show. He told me he "painted" his pulley grooves with spray-on bed liner paint to solve his belt squeal. Says he did it before mounting anything to the motor prior to installing, taped off the outer pulleys so the paint only went into the grooves. The rubbery texture grabs the belt and prevents squealing or slippage. I haven't done this, yet! Belt dressing works okay for a few months and there's usually enough in the can to last me about a year. But I am considering it.

Here's the saginaw power steering pump setup I have.

Screenshot_20230826_101434_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230826_101444_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230826_101453_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230826_101503_Gallery.jpg

Have a 68 Newport 383 with a Thompson style power steering pump. I've already had it rebuilt and it's failing again. I just want a reman already done I can just quick swap. Was told is part number 20-6107. I have looked high and low, far and wide. Everybody sends me links that carry some other year or from a quick glance looks like the part but isn't. I'm just shocked a simple part can be this difficult to find. And bonus points if it comes with a reservoir cap which seems simple but isn't. I love my car but Damn it's difficult. I seriously have spent hours upon hours looking and calling. I'll be getting a firm feel gear box but they'll only redo my pump, none available to buy. Help!!!
Not cheap but FirmFeel sells them and you can select different steering firmness. POWER STEERING

Firm feel doesn't have any new pumps available unless I buy the new bracket on my own. I've been in good contact with them. They can only rebuild mine if I want. They do however have the new gear box which I'll buy after I likely buy this pump from rainy day.

Where is your pump leaking?
Typically they leak around where the reservoir canister meet the pump itself.
Easy fix..remove pump from car, remove brackets, and remove canister from pump.with a new O ring and Permatex " The Right Stuff" silicone.
I never had any issues with any of my big block pumps.
The bracket on other hand I deleted it for a new repop that does away with the glop that causes belt ssqueal.
You will need a different size belt, cant remember if it is a 15545?
Nstionsl Moparts has the bracket, pump rebuild kit, or msy have a good used pump. Tell rm I sent ya!!
National Mo-Parts – Est. 1987

Screenshot_20230826_164820_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230826_164842_Chrome.jpg

I had an issue sealing the pan on the back of my remanufactured TRW pump on my 68 Polara. I went to a local seal supplier and they suggested a 'backup' seal to take up the slight difference in the replacement seal thickness and the groove in the pump. As its a square profile, it can roll as the pan is pushed on. Worked perfectly.

I also discovered that the bracket that attaches to the back of the pan has to be perfectly square to it, or it will leak. I put a Dowty washer on to take up any slight difference. Finally, I put PTFE tape on the main hose connection.

This was about 10 years ago and I had no issues getting a pump but was told, even back then, that 'cores' for remanufacturing were becoming scarce.

Cheers Steve

Back