I asked before and I'll ask again, where God can I actually get a power steering pump?

Biggredd2069

Reaction score
Have a 68 Newport 383 with a Thompson style power steering pump. I've already had it rebuilt and it's failing again. I just want a reman already done I can just quick swap. Was told is part number 20-6107. I have looked high and low, far and wide. Everybody sends me links that carry some other year or from a quick glance looks like the part but isn't. I'm just shocked a simple part can be this difficult to find. And bonus points if it comes with a reservoir cap which seems simple but isn't. I love my car but Damn it's difficult. I seriously have spent hours upon hours looking and calling. I'll be getting a firm feel gear box but they'll only redo my pump, none available to buy. Help!!!

This might not help BigRed (or maybe it will?) but can someone identify these 2 pumps?

pspump1.jpg

pspump2.jpg

Just tossing this out there...

What about changing to a Federal pump? Better yet would be a Saginaw pump. You'd have to find the brackets though. Our Products - Suspension/Steering - Power Steering Brackets

The question to ask first though is what is failing with the present pump? That tennis ball in the existing bracket makes me wonder what's going on with that.

I lost the reservoir cap and needed a quick solution to drive the car. It's just sitting on the side while I was working on the car. So I plugged it up with that so I could drive it to go get the transmission rebuilt recently. I'm not opposed to switching the bracket if it's a direct fit but then the problem is I still don't know what pump to buy and where. The current pump leaks again and the shop that rebuilt it said it might fail in the future. And I keep trying to tighten it and squeals when I accelerate only.

Edit, the tennis ball is not holding anything in place. I just used it as a cap after I lost my other one as a quick temporary solution to drive and not lose fluid. I set it to the side during that picture

The pump with the oblong-shaped reservoir top is a Saginaw pump, used in later model years.

The tennis ball means the "auto-adjust" bracket needs some help?

I suspect that FEW parts vendors might have the OEM pump on the shelf, considering the car is over 50 yrs old, unless it might be a niche vendor. Might be best to change to a Saginaw pump and related brackets.

The Saginaw pump, sourced from Saginaw Gear division of GM, was used by GM for decades so the basic pump items are still available at most places.

CBODY67

I lost the reservoir cap and needed a quick solution to drive the car. It's just sitting on the side while I was working on the car. So I plugged it up with that so I could drive it to go get the transmission rebuilt recently. I'm not opposed to switching the bracket if it's a direct fit but then the problem is I still don't know what pump to buy and where. The current pump leaks again and the shop that rebuilt it said it might fail in the future. And I keep trying to tighten it and squeals when I accelerate only.

Edit, the tennis ball is not holding anything in place. I just used it as a cap after I lost my other one as a quick temporary solution to drive and not lose fluid. I set it to the side during that picture
Where are the leaks from? There is a big square o-ring that seals the reservoir case to the pump body. There is the seal on the pump shaft the pulley is attached to. The former lip seal could have worn a slight groove into the shaft, over the years, which a new seal might or might not help with.

Here's how to adjust that bracket.

Is there a specific model number of saginaw I need to get?
Mancini and others sell conversion kits. As far as I know, there is only ONE Saginaw pump, although there CAN be some minor differences as to model year and such.

Are you using genuine power steering fluid in the system, rather than atf? From my experiences, atf can cause leaks where genuine atf does not.

The pump with the round filler tube - I can find no numbers stamped anywhere on it. The pulley is 5" diameter.

I thought these both would have been '65-68 C body.

Tennis ball cap is good idea.

BigRed - what are you using for PS fluid? Synthetic? Maybe that's the problem.

Pulley diameter is not specific to the pump, but how the pulley is located and held on the pump shaft is important.

I've seen that video and for whatever reason I can't get it to stop squealing. I'll try again. Also, since I plan to replace both the pump and the gear box I've been using a mix of standard steering oil and half leak stop as I'm ruining my garage floor. Head of the local car club got a kick out of the tennis ball and posted it on our page. Lol. I burned the fuzz off first and metal zip tied it. Have tried multiple caps that just never work. Im sick of this pump period. I just want someone to hold my hand and help me now. Lol. My hand is up asking for help.

Have y'all tried to see where the leaks are coming from? Pump? Gearbox? Lines? Sloshing out the top of the reservoir?

If the stop leak hasn't worked yet, it's probably not going to.

Regards,
CBODY67

I replaced my power steering pump & brackets a few years ago because of the same issues your having. I bought the complete setup with brackets, pump & hoses from Boullchon Performance @ 843-744-6539. My car is also a 68 with a 383 engine.

If you haven't tried Steer-and-Gear in Columbus Ohio, I'd give them a call. Those guys know their stuff and have seen it all. I'm sure they can help you.

Last edited:
I have a good used Saginaw big block pump with brackets and pulley available. 100 plus Shipping. I can be reached via Pm.

I concur: the top one is a Saginaw pump (ellipsoid neck); the lower one is a Federal / TWA / Thompson pump (round neck). The main difference btw them is the line pressure. It’s higher in the latter, as it was intended for the heavier cars.
My ’70 NYer came originally with the Federal pump. I had it switched to Saginaw (along with the brackets; those are different btw those two types of pump) just to find out, how it affects the steering. It certainly does:
With the Federal pump, you could turn the steering wheel with your finger, even when parking. Can’t do that with the Saginaw pump in place. You need a firm hand, and have to earnestly turn the wheel. There is considerably more feedback from the steering now. You can feel it on the road, too. No more sloppy steering.

As said above, you can purchase the Saginaw pump, along with the needed brackets from both Mancini Racing (Clinton Twp, MI) and Bouchillon Performance (Hanahan, SC). You can find what you need in eBay, too.

Last edited:
Back