1966 Chrysler Newport New Engine 383 to 440

Sweet Newport. I had my eye on one that I didn't get, two door coupe in green, about eight years ago. Still thinking about it.:thumbsup:

Thank you! I certainly feel honored to own this one and to have it be in such good condition. Well don't hesitate too long on buying one if you're able. They are awesome cars!

I wouldn’t say that it’s totally obnoxious... I’m pretty sensitive to sound.
Also, at the time, I was geared up a little higher than yours will be (I think?) and I had basically taken the interior out aside from the headliner, dash and front bench was running headers with manual dropouts. I’d changed most of that back before I sold it but didn’t have it on the highway after that. I don’t think you’ll have any issues running your configuration.

Thank you GJS. I hope so also. Mine has all the interior in it and factory exhaust manifolds so I am hoping it is manageable. I certainly want an aggressive "hot rod" style sound and tone without it being frustrating to listen to inside the cabin. Might even get to hear it this afternoon if they get it wrapped up!

Thank you GJS. I hope so also. Mine has all the interior in it and factory exhaust manifolds so I am hoping it is manageable. I certainly want an aggressive "hot rod" style sound and tone without it being frustrating to listen to inside the cabin. Might even get to hear it this afternoon if they get it wrapped up!
As always, post a video!

Really nice car, I like it! I was up in the air with the TTI exhaust I put on the 300 between the H pipe and X pipe. In the end I went with the H because their website said it had more of the "classic" sound (or something like that). I like it but I like yours too. I'd have to say yours sounds a little smoother, as if the exhaust pulses are blended together more, rather than hearing each pulse.

I'd love to see a video of you opening er up!

Really nice car, I like it! I was up in the air with the TTI exhaust I put on the 300 between the H pipe and X pipe. In the end I went with the H because their website said it had more of the "classic" sound (or something like that). I like it but I like yours too. I'd have to say yours sounds a little smoother, as if the exhaust pulses are blended together more, rather than hearing each pulse.

I'd love to see a video of you opening er up!
Thank you very much! I am definitely happy with it sounds. They wanted to do an X-pipe originally but the spacing just wasnt going to work out well with where they wanted to put the mufflers and how the exhaust clears the cross member. They ended up doing the H pipe and I’m happy they did. Hopefully I can get some video next week of it opened up on the road.

6387F5B3-897A-4726-B4F1-38D18A964D48.jpeg
5FE1C695-5534-40ED-972A-FDB61C7214E0.jpeg
D7855595-76A4-4509-A77F-EE7945E3623C.jpeg
D8AB5E56-9D3B-48DD-BD4A-98873A6E2B49.jpeg

For the first time in over 16 years Mellow Yellow is back prowling the streets! And no I was not doing 75 mph. The Speedo is wrong after the gear change. 75 on the gauge is right around 58 according to my GPS. It drives very nicely. 440 sounds awesome and runs out well. Going to take it easy for a bit as it breaks in before I give much of a performance report. So incredible to actually drive it! Dream come true!

The car really cleaned up nice from the before pic's, congrats on getting it mobile. Enjoy

The car really cleaned up nice from the before pic's, congrats on getting it mobile. Enjoy

Thank you! It looks 100 times better than it did when I got it. Lots of hours of cleaning, vacuuming, washing and painting.

Drove mellow yellow to work this week. Really need to get my manual choke installed. It’s back at my buddies shop for a couple days. Was running a bit rough and we need to figure out what Speedo gear I need. The speedometer is off about 15 mph at 60. I changed from 2.76 gears to 3.23’s. Plus a different tire diameter. It cruises really nice. All my gauges are staying in spec so that’s a good thing also. Now it’s just some fine tuning and fixing little things.

Back