1966 Fury III - Unfinished Project

Thank you.
Went look at the VIN, apparently this car originally had a 361 in it.

I just now finished reading this entire thread. I can't believe I missed it when you first posted it. Your patience, perseverance and can-do attitude are most admirable. You are truly a rare and talented hobbyist person. Mighty fine!

Little by little, piece by piece. It stopped raining long enough today to get the bodywork hammers out and straighten the drip rail out enough to be able to refit the trim.
20220726_190001.jpg

The line (more or less) follows that of the other side, which is straight down following the window trim, and then curving gently in towards the back.

Next task, one I don't look forward to, is to try straighten the trim that came off because it snagged on the rail.
Looks like someone caught a signpost or gate or something with the drip rail and bent it all out of line, then a replacement trim was just snapped over it.

Phil

20220727_195110.jpg

This is about the limit of my expertise.
20220727_195315.jpg

I think that will clip on and stay on. Don't want to hammer it on because I'm afraid it won't come off without twisting again.

Good news, my wiring machine still works.
20220728_164015_1.gif

Sadly my skills haven't improved much. Getting better though, mig is quite different from stick.

More good news.
20220728_184828.jpg

Just found the missing reversing light lens. It's all beaten up but it should glue together.
One less thing I have to find.

Phil

Oh... I didn't notice it's broken... welding that will melt the turn signal switch unless you can get the remaining bit off before welding it...

If I couldn't find a replacement, or remove the end bit easily from the turn signal switch, I would make some sort of a sleeve that encapsulates both halves, fill it with JB Weld, and stuff 'em togther. A McDonald's shake straw comes to mind...

Oh... I didn't notice it's broken... welding that will melt the turn signal switch unless you can get the remaining bit off before welding it...

If I couldn't find a replacement, or remove the end bit easily from the turn signal switch, I would make some sort of a sleeve that encapsulates both halves, fill it with JB Weld, and stuff 'em togther. A McDonald's shake straw comes to mind...
It went together.
It'll come apart.

I should be able to fix that.

Edit:
20220728_212110.jpg

That cleaned up acceptably.
20220728_210105.jpg

The pieces of the lens still attached to the lamp assembly undid and glued back to the lens. That's now hardening overnight.

Next up I'll see about taking the turn signal switch apart. Looks like there's screw threads down the center of the fractured portion.

Last edited:
I found the handle for the parking brake release. Funnily, the parking brake still works.
20220729_143520.jpg

Because I'd pulled the gauges out to get at the mechanism, I decided to clean them up.
20220729_100312.jpg

The ones in the car were dirty, the spares ended up submerged in rainwater during the storm.
20220729_114409.jpg

I tested the gauges. Surprisingly, they all worked, including the ones that had been under water.
20220729_170112.jpg

Cleaned up the PCB and repaired a couple broken traces.
20220729_173131.jpg

Wire wheeled the rust and paint off the mask, repainted it flat black.
20220729_185903.jpg

The chrome was all gone, so the next best thing in budget- the shiniest "metallic" silver they had in a can. The area around the words, originally dull silver can go back pale gray. The fluted section in the middle, back to flat black.

Hopefully that'll look nice.

I found a brighter silver paint, even has a fair bit of reflection to it.
20220730_142153.jpg

I'll wait for that to dry, it's very slow- then do the detail work on it.
Between times I dug the flooded speedometer out of the storage.
20220730_151746.jpg

It's a little worse for wear, having been submerged in rainwater for several weeks. The mechanism is rusted solid.
20220730_222911.jpg

Still, it cleaned up nicely. The surround is cracked and the plastic lens is crazed. The inside edge of the bezel needs to be painted pale gray, it's a little bit too shiny.
20220730_221018.jpg

The PCB cleaned up though, and the lights work. Neat design that the light shines through the odometer hole to illuminate the gear position indicator.

Phil

Back