1966 Fury III - Unfinished Project

IMG_20230925_222635_291.jpg

20230926_074744.jpg

Tried to catch the same angle. Definitely an improvement.

Phil

First of the inner panels to go on the inner edge of the quarter. This one's measured correctly.
20230926_163720.jpg

That's from the end of the floor to the upkick panel. Using the outer quarter template to measure up.

Phil

I'll be headed to Mississippi tomorrow in this.
20230930_171551.jpg

Keep an eye open if you're there, flag me down if you recognize me!
20231001_103913.jpg

Cruising up and down the boulevard.
Once the Fury is done, I'll take the same photo if I can there.

Phil

Last edited:
Got the carburetor and ignition tuned up reasonably well. Runs and idles now without being too stubborn.
20231007_134758.jpg

Holds good fuel pressure. Secondaries work too which is good.
Need to get back to the sheet metal on this.

Phil

Surprisingly, this aluminum trim has remained shiny, despite being bare polished metal
20231014_184738.jpg

I think the rest should tolerate being cleaned up. I need to get some paint thinners to strip the paint off the trim.

Phil

Well, help me understand.

20231024_180618.jpg

Pulled the pinion carrier off.
Undid the nut, knocked the back of it one side then the other until it came off the splines.

Knocked it back on to keep it sealed but now it's wobbly. And it leaks.

Will the pinion nose bearing pull out that way?

Phil

Last edited:
Well, help me understand.

View attachment 624244
Pulled the pinion carrier off.
Undid the nut, knocked the back of it one side then the other until it came off the splines.

Knocked it back on to keep it sealed but now it's wobbly. And it leaks.

Phil
I guess the first thing is why did you remove the yoke. Need a bit more info.
Not sure if this diff utilizes a crush sleeve to maintain preload. If it did there is a good chance it’s not tight enough. Also you may have damaged the seal when you did this procedure.

I guess the first thing is why did you remove the yoke. Need a bit more info.
Not sure if this diff utilizes a crush sleeve to maintain preload. If it did there is a good chance it’s not tight enough. Also you may have damaged the seal when you did this procedure.
The yoke has been hogged out on one side and has half a screw stuck in the other. It is u/s and needs replacement.

The seal is still ok; the pinion now wobbles about, it didn't when I started.

Yup, looks like I've smashed the preload sleeve. Superb.

Guess I'll get a bearing if it needs it, seal and redo the nose of the axle while I'm at it.

Phil

Last edited:
Yup, looks like I've smashed the preload sleeve. Superb.

Guess I'll get a bearing if it needs it, seal and redo the nose of the axle while I'm at it.

Phil
Usually if you over tighten the nut it will squash the sleeve and the end result will be too much preload on the bearings. This will result in a very tight pinion not loose as you describe. I suspect you didn’t tighten it enough. I always check the number of threads showing prior to removing the nut. On reassembly I check the threads and rotate the pinion to see if it is getting too tight.

Usually if you over tighten the nut it will squash the sleeve and the end result will be too much preload on the bearings. This will result in a very tight pinion not loose as you describe. I suspect you didn’t tighten it enough. I always check the number of threads showing prior to removing the nut. On reassembly I check the threads and rotate the pinion to see if it is getting too tight.
It's flopping about like the bearing has collapsed. I'll pull it apart again tomorrow if I have time and get a flashlight in there to see.

Phil

Okay, so it's a 741, which matches the spec of the car.
20231025_072056.jpg

So that means the pinion preload is set internally with shims and the yoke bolt just does up to a static lb/ft figure?

Phil

Back