1966 Fury III - Unfinished Project

This carburetor is irksome.

New floats, 5psi fuel pressure and it barfs out of both sides upon fuel delivery.
20230913_114152.jpg

Gushes with each pump and doesn't hold pressure.
20230913_114202.jpg

I can't see why, it's all put together correctly.
20230913_112801.jpg

Phil

Your terms are very vague and nothing like what I've heard in a mechanics world. (old)

"barfs out of both sides upon fuel delivery"
"Gushes with each pump and doesn't hold pressure".

From the looks of how dirty the throttle bores are in your pictures I'd hate to see the inside passages.
You need a good carburetor rebuild person IMHO.

DIRTY.HOLLEY.jpg

Good luck...

It's being fed from the engine driven pump. That pump, when stalled by placing my finger over the end of the pipe, builds a static pressure of 6psi.
As it's driven by an eccentric, the delivery is uneven (as opposed to, say, a rotary vane pump driven by an electric motor).

Upon priming, the secondary idle air bleeds bubble and spit, before the bowls fill completely.
If I continue to crank the engine, the fuel pressure spikes 5-0-5-0 psi as the engine turns. With each rise in pressure, all four booster venturis pour gasoline because it would appear the float valves are not stopping the flow of fuel.

Internally it's as clean as I could make it, all the rubber and plastic parts are new. The throttle bores are sooty, yes. All the passages pass carb cleaner under pressure as you'd expect them to.

I didn't go much further because it floods so badly. I wanted to try determine cause and resolve that first.

Phil

This carburetor is irksome.

New floats, 5psi fuel pressure and it barfs out of both sides upon fuel delivery.
View attachment 616709
Gushes with each pump and doesn't hold pressure.
View attachment 616708
I can't see why, it's all put together correctly.
View attachment 616710
Phil
Hard to tell from the pics but something doesn’t look right with the spring. I wonder why it is at an angle. It’s been a lot of years since I had a look at the inside of one of these so I don’t remember it too well. Have you tried to lower the float levels at all.

Hard to tell from the pics but something doesn’t look right with the spring. I wonder why it is at an angle. It’s been a lot of years since I had a look at the inside of one of these so I don’t remember it too well. Have you tried to lower the float levels at all.
It's a funny little beehive shaped conical spring which makes it look like it's at an angle.
Yes, I tried setting the level, it's at the lowest.

I think the burst of fuel pressure is overwhelming the valve. If I clamp the pipe with grips it will start and run.

Phil

Yup, if I regulate the fuel supply to a trickle it will run. However, even at a trickle with no pressure registering on the gauge, the floats don't close the valves.

Next object to be launched into orbit: this carburetor

Last edited:
I've used twin Holley 850s on big roots blower motors for boats, and for good reason.
And had a few smaller ones on cars that worked well. If a car had a good working one, I would run it. But I wouldn't buy a new one or repair one for a car.
Carter AVS is my favorite.
A simple Holley float valve shouldn't be too much of a challenge for you.

I've used twin Holley 850s on big roots blower motors for boats, and for good reason.
And had a few smaller ones on cars that worked well. If a car had a good working one, I would run it. But I wouldn't buy a new one or repair one for a car.
Carter AVS is my favorite.
A simple Holley float valve shouldn't be too much of a challenge for you.
You'd think, but so far it's proving elusive.

I've a couple ideas though. It can't be a large number of things. Trouble is, it gets locked inside a sealed metal box and that's difficult to see what's happening inside.

Got it cleaned out. Better than it was.
20230915_075039.jpg

Reassembled, starting to get the float levels set up right and the idle mixture.
20230915_094358.jpg

It's started to leak from the front, need to find out why. Doesn't like to idle much.
20230915_161244.jpg

It got a bit warm. Left it to cool down and the battery to charge.

Phil

Had a moment between house work and cooking to cut a relief in the arch return, and with large lever and size 8 popped the front back into something much closer to the shape it should be.
20230925_185040.jpg

Not perfect at all, but better for 5 minutes' work in the rain.

Phil

Back