1966 Imperial Crown convertible

Member's Projects & Restorations

1. patrick66

patrick66 Senior Member

I got the car out last weekend for a parade. Of course, it rained and the parade was cancelled. But, on my drive, the power brake booster failed, most of the dash lighting is dead, the brake lights and turn signals are on vacation, and one of my wipers is wonky. Crap.

First thing is getting the brake booster rebuilt, and the decision was easy with so many recommending the same guy. I'm going to do a dual-circuit master cylinder conversion concurrently. Then will come the brake light and t/s issue, which I believe to be ground-related.

It would be relatively easy to pull the instrument cluster out to renew all of the bulbs and check continuity, while having far easier access to the power booster bolts in the process.

It never ends.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. patrick66

patrick66 Senior Member

Can't believe it's been eight months since I even touched the car, other than to move it a couple of times. I found out that the rebuilt brake booster I've had in a box on a shelf for two years is an exact replacement for the bad one on the car, so the dual master cylinder conversion is in full swing now.

The steering wheel i got from member boltupal is in way nicer shape than the pics suggested. Of course, the '64 metal ribbed center is different than the '65-'66, I'm hoping the later woodgrained center trim swaps to the early wheel.

20190720_122447.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  3. patrick66

patrick66 Senior Member

Hmmm...I found out something new today while getting ready to install that new '64 steering wheel. The wheel diameter is a full 1.65" larger on the '64 wheel, so the horn arm is longer, as well. So, for now, I'm gonna install that earlier wheel and the ribbed horn bar as-is. The '64 wheel is in way better condition. Might look odd to us, but 99% of people out there aren't gonna know, unless it's pointed out.

This week, the weather is gonna be in the mid-'80s, so this will be a perfect opportunity to get all that installed.

• Like Like x 2
  4. patrick66

patrick66 Senior Member

Well, I managed to get a few things done...on the Hudson. Got three parts off to the powdercoater, and am supposed to pick those and two other parts for it back this week. Got a friend coming by later this week to help me with its underhood wiring so it'll start and run. With the 12V conversion, it should be pretty straightforward.

Found a few little bits for the Imperial last week. More proper fasteners and a few more light bulbs. Gotta get crackin'!

• Like Like x 3
  5. bigmoparjeff

bigmoparjeff Senior Member

Would have never guessed in a million years that they changed the wheel that much between '64 and '66.