1966 Imperial Crown convertible

There's a trick to getting those P/S pumps tight again, but I don't remember it. Back when my '66 New Yorker was a daily driver I jammed a chunk of wood down in the bracket to keep it tight. It had been fine until I loosened it for some repair I was doing, then was never able to get it tight again. I may have just not had the right tools back then to crank down hard enough on the bolts. There's also a rubber bumper on the bracket that wears out/falls out.

Jeff

Here ya go:

Been working on the D100 this week. Got new motor mount insulators, a battery cable end, oil & filter, and a few little bits. Should finish all that today.

Now that we have the Coronapocalypse upon us, perhaps I'll have time to finish up what I need to do on the Imperial and get that back on the road. Might not be able to actually go anywhere for a bit, we'll have to see what stupidity and fraud lie ahead

May 2nd. I actually worked on the car this morning! The ONLY thing keeping me from power steering is getting the remains of that 54-yo low pressure line off that power steering box! I have the proper pliers to remove the original clamps, but the clamp on the box nipple has proven to be a nightmare. It has rotated so the little tongs are nearly impossible to reach. The hose has neen removed to the nipple, but I still can't remove that clamp and 1" of rotted ps line. I have the new line on from the pump to the ps cooler, and from there, back to the steering box, but it has yet to attached there, obviously.

If i can get that rectified in the morning, there is maybe 30-45 minutes of work left before the much-anticipated road test. May 3rd will make 19 months since I last drove it further than the end of the driveway. :(

Video of the road test next up!

Got the power steering issues resolved. Tightened the pump bracket correctly. New ps return lines and clamps. Purged the air out. Steering is nice and smooth with no leaks.

The new Group 27 battery fired the car right up. It is the right size as it physically takes up the entire battery tray, and it has (I think) 990 CCA. Big sucker! Nice to hear it run again.

Test drive after work today. Still need to trace the damn lighting problem. Now, one brake lamp is out, and they still come on with the headlights. Oh, and my instrument cluster lights are all dead...again. Gauges all work.

I just want to drive the ******* car.

Last edited:
Yard-drove it yesterday. Power steering issues are resolved. Left front brake needs further adjustment. Mechanically, I'm there. A few more minutes on that brake, and it's ready.

For today's wash at the car washing emporium that is one mile away, I'll use my headlight switch to activate my brake lights for that short drive. I need to drive it, even for a couple of miles! It feels good to sit in that BIG car and go!

Got it washed up and rolling, finally! The Imperials' first time on the road in 19 months. The front brakes are still off in adjustment; I need to get back under it and adjust a bit more. The car tracks straight and runs beautifully! After work tomorrow, I'll jump on the brake adjustment. It should be ready for the Sunday afternoon cruise...top down, brakes working, and fun for all!

20200507_200039_HDR.jpg

20200507_200019.jpg

I know I've shown few pics of the actual work that's been done, so far; like the trunk, top boots, weatherstripping, hoses, and other things. This week, I'll take a few pics of the areas completed, plus a couple of areas yet to be worked.

After much thought, I'm 99% ready to send the car off to a pro restoration shop to tend to the various electrical issues throughout, and get the air conditioning back up and blowing cold. There is a shop 100 miles away that comes highly recommended, with very reasonable labor rates.

I was working on the Coronet last night, cleaning and detailing the trunk, and cleaning the wiring up on my underdash Pioneer cassette unit. Came out of that with tremendous pain in my lower back, it was all I could do to walk back to the house. This stuff used to be a lot of fun for me. Now, it just hurts. A bunch! I'm way too young to be feeling like 80.

Found a pro shop 10 miles away that's been in business for 25 years, plus he is an NHRA inspector. He also comes recommended by a couple of hotrodder friends. So, it goes in the shop the day after Memorial Day for two or three days. Lights will get fixed, plus the A/C serviced. Still has R12 in it!

Great news! My light problem is solved. A combination of wrong bulbs, a loose wire at the column, and a new brake switch that failed to engage when the brakes were applied (installed at the booster/dual master install) all contributed to the no light/no turn signal problems. The grounds were fine. Plus, the front brakes needed a better adjustment, which is done. He is going to do a NSRA safety inspection tomorrow, and I'll pick it up Tuesday. Now, to finally enjoy the car after 19 full months of inactivity!

Next things are the DS window, pressure-check the heater core, and service the air conditioner. I'm gonna put some miles on her first!

He sent some pics. The LF inner wheel bearing stayed on the spindle when he pulled the drum to repair the adjuster wheel. Greased, but stuck on. Fixed that and the adjuster. After bleeding the brakes, he found the LF wheel cylinder was sticking, too. Lots going on with that left front!

He ordered a wheel cylinder today; should have it tomorrow, and everything ready to go by noon.

All that little stuff adds up.

Resized_20200601_131556.jpg

Resized_20200601_110111.jpg

Last edited:
She's home! Took her for a quick test drive before paying for the job. What an improvement! The car tracks perfectly, smooth as glass at 70, and stops far better than it ever has. An enjoyable 13-mile ride home. Had to stop for fuel, as the 19-month old gas in it just wasn't fresh enough, so I put ten gallons of mid-grade in, along with some fuel conditioner.

When there are/were a lot of little things amiss (and a couple not-so-small!), the fun factor rapidly vanishes. I'm definitely buying a lift this year! I'm glad she's ready for some warm-weather driving, finally!

Future needs - why isn't my heat/air fan working? Stick the glove box in, along with the ducting. Check radio power. Check dash lights. And finally get to that damn DS door window motor!!! I look at that giant door card and just stare at it. I've practically memorized the removal procedure!

Last edited:
Back