1966 Imperial Transmission Mount

OKDart

Reaction score
The parts stores show this type of transmission mount for my 1966 Imperial. In the pic, the transmission is jacked up contacting the tunnel and it still needs another inch to install.
I got this car disassembled and don’t know what was there originally. But in a google search, I found a listing for 62-66 imperial mounts that looks like what I need. $700 seems like a bargain for the whole set, but all I need is the trans mount. What are you guys using?

48E7C9A3-C1E3-4B16-9109-1ABC91080791.jpeg

DD8EFC17-2D54-4EBA-B2A6-1292E95EE01A.png

I ordered one for a Dodge 880, we’ll see how it fits. Looks like the center bolt is inline with the 2 outer bolts, and on mine the center is offset forward.

6EB12E55-8591-4A38-89B0-2F7E9C95298C.png

Last edited:
imperial services, steve charette has the correct mount. was $100 and 2-3 weeks wait about a year ago.
jim

Thanks, according to that site, it’s a one year only mount.

I’m gonna wait and see how this other one fits.
Are yours new?

Turns out the earlier one I ordered had a wider bolt spacing and won’t fit.

I ordered one for a Dodge 880, we’ll see how it fits. Looks like the center bolt is inline with the 2 outer bolts, and on mine the center is offset forward.

The center bolt in mine (also '66 Imp) is also offset forward about 1/4" in the position where it is resting. But it is quite obvious from the way the old rubber is distorted; it should be in line with the 2 outer holes as per Matt's pictures.
I checked the engine mount bolts (frame to mount) and confirmed the drivetrain is pushed forward as much as the clearance holes in the engine mounts allow. They seem to be a 1/2" bolt in a 3/4" hole.
What did you end up doing? Pushed the whole engine/trans assembly back to a neutral position for the trans mount?
I guess only shift linkage and drive shaft would be affected.

I am going to loosen the engine mounts and try to push back the engine and if that is not successful I might try an cast a soft polyurethane transmission mount with the center bolt offset.

The center bolt in mine (also '66 Imp) is also offset forward about 1/4" in the position where it is resting. But it is quite obvious from the way the old rubber is distorted; it should be in line with the 2 outer holes as per Matt's pictures.
I checked the engine mount bolts (frame to mount) and confirmed the drivetrain is pushed forward as much as the clearance holes in the engine mounts allow. They seem to be a 1/2" bolt in a 3/4" hole.
What did you end up doing? Pushed the whole engine/trans assembly back to a neutral position for the trans mount?
I guess only shift linkage and drive shaft would be affected.

I am going to loosen the engine mounts and try to push back the engine and if that is not successful I might try an cast a soft polyurethane transmission mount with the center bolt offset.
I bought an original mount from detmatt. It's been over a year and my memory is fuzzy, but I think it dropped right in. I don't remember having to make any adjustments to install it.

Last edited:
Thanks - I guess I don't have to worry too much about casting the bolt and holes in line or offset then.

If I had lived in the same customs zone as any seller of a trans mount, I would have never even considered making one.

Back