1966 Newport Fan shroud

Blackrifle

Reaction score
I went to Jersey to pick up some sheet-metal for my 66 Newport 383 car.
While there I noticed a metal 2 piece shroud. The older gentlemen had 7 or 8 radiators sitting around and I had pics of mine on my phone.
I matched it up with one there and the shroud lined up with the mounting holes and such.
I snapped it up.
My question is did these cars have Metal 2 piece Shrouds in 1966?

I went to Jersey to pick up some sheet-metal for my 66 Newport 383 car.
While there I noticed a metal 2 piece shroud. The older gentlemen had 7 or 8 radiators sitting around and I had pics of mine on my phone.
I matched it up with one there and the shroud lined up with the mounting holes and such.
I snapped it up.
My question is did these cars have Metal 2 piece Shrouds in 1966?
Not sure about 66 but it was an option on the 22” radiator in 68. My Newport did not have a shroud but I looked around and was able to score the 2 pc metal shroud. Works great!

@darth_linux - keep in mind that in 66 it would have been a 26" rad for AC or trailer tow/high altitude cooling cars, and the 26" rad (and the prerequisite bigger rad yoke) was new for 1966.

1965 C body cars equipped with factory AC or trailer tow/high altitude cooling used a 22" rad, so it's more common to find a 2 pc metal shroud on 65s as there was no other choice.

In 66 and up, non AC cars equippe with dealer add on AC, high altitude cooling add on packages, trailer tow add on packages or such (therefore cars with factory 22" radiators and yokes alread installed), would get the 2 pc metal shroud for 22" rad in 66 - 68 when those packages were installed. I am not sure if fleet sales/taxi/heavy duty cars could order 22" rads with shrouds for installation on the assembly line in 66 - most likely they could, but it was uncommon, as the 26" rad was clearly the better choice.

@darth_linux - keep in mind that in 66 it would have been a 26" rad for AC or trailer tow/high altitude cooling cars, and the 26" rad (and the prerequisite bigger rad yoke) was new for 1966.

1965 C body cars equipped with factory AC or trailer tow/high altitude cooling used a 22" rad, so it's more common to find a 2 pc metal shroud on 65s as there was no other choice.

In 66 and up, non AC cars equippe with dealer add on AC, high altitude cooling add on packages, trailer tow add on packages or such (therefore cars with factory 22" radiators and yokes alread installed), would get the 2 pc metal shroud for 22" rad in 66 - 68 when those packages were installed. I am not sure if fleet sales/taxi/heavy duty cars could order 22" rads with shrouds for installation on the assembly line in 66 - most likely they could, but it was uncommon, as the 26" rad was clearly the better choice.
Thanks for the clarification Ross.

Our 66 Newport had a dealer AC when we got her. Still have the condenser, York compressor, dryer and sundry bits on the locker. THANK YOU for the detail on 65 radiators! I had induced this to be the case, but had no historical data to back it up. Mathilda, while a '66 model, rolled off the line in Nov. 1965. I actually have a 22" 65 Imperial shroud which I first tried to adapt to Mathilda, but, no go! It's a 2 piece sheetmetal shroud also, though the bracketing and depth are totally wrong for a C body car. As you know, 1968 is the LATEST year I like as a rule, so I'm happy to use the 65 radiator on Gertrude, though I've cursed a few times my fate in being stuck w 22" radiator yokes.

Still, the 65 radiators CAN COOL WELL, for a price! Re-coring one of these 2524984s will run between $700-$1100 this year. Given its superb performance under Sonoran Desert conditions however, I say its worth the $. Saving an engine is worth a grand now-a-daze....

I am looking for a fan shroud for my 66 New yorker with the 26" radiator I think the number is 2579011
I think this is the superseded part number. I haven't double checked that but it does show it fits a '66 with a 26" radiator. I happened to find this while looking for something else a couple days ago.

Mancini Racing Radiator Fan Shroud

Pretty pricey was hoping someone had and old one in decent shape for sale Thanks
Best to put a "wanted" ad in the Marketplace section.

I'm sure there's some out there. Some guys think they are made of gold, cracked or not, so sometimes the best bang for the buck is the new one.

I wanted one for my '70 300 and found a pile of nice ones at Carlisle for $50 each. I had my wallet out real fast and didn't haggle.

Best to put a "wanted" ad in the Marketplace section.

I'm sure there's some out there. Some guys think they are made of gold, cracked or not, so sometimes the best bang for the buck is the new one.

I wanted one for my '70 300 and found a pile of nice ones at Carlisle for $50 each. I had my wallet out real fast and didn't haggle.
Thanks for the info

Back