1. LocuMob

LocuMob Fluid Technician with a hat FCBO Gold Member

There jack stands under there, and I only sat next to the car.

I'm not sure if braver if the correct word... :lol:

2. Polara_500

Polara_500 Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

I really did try to practice restraint on this one....... honestly. :poke::rofl:

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. rags

rags Well-Known Member

and lifts are cheap.
    CL
    ◀ prev next ▶

favorite
    hide

flag
    Posted 16 days ago

print
    Challenger 9,000lb 2 post car truck hoist lift - $2000 (Hugo)
    image 1 of 10
    00g0g_i9XBACRCw8x_600x450.jpg

00g0g_i9XBACRCw8x_50x50c.jpg 01717_eBrMdok2XUP_50x50c.jpg 01111_arCT7eDvfQ4_50x50c.jpg 00a0a_jUfHiObCZGo_50x50c.jpg 00c0c_6cGITyekZmb_50x50c.jpg 00i0i_aMKb0VuSZpU_50x50c.jpg 01717_3YWclZYXVPd_50x50c.jpg [​IMG] 00b0b_kWVNmXMABx_50x50c.jpg 00M0M_f1IbECvE9JP_50x50c.jpg

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
    (google map)

more ads by this user

Challenger 9000lb 2 post car truck hoist lift. Model 39000. Symmetrical. 13'10" tall. Has truck tops and the 2' post extensions to accommodate taller vehicles. Could be lowered back to 11' 10". Was just removed from a shop closing. Everything works.

Have machine to load. Check out other ads for more lifts.

Man cave Repair shop garage Rotary Forward Nussbaum Mohawk Ammco Bendpak
    • do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers
    post id: 7033707879

posted: 16 days ago

updated: 2 days ago

email to friend

♥ best of [?]

Avoid scams, deal locally Beware wiring (e.g. Western Union), cashier checks, money orders, shipping.

• Like Like x 1
  4. rags

rags Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  5. LocuMob

Sweet! Now, can I borrow some money from you? :lol:

I'll have to see what's around when I have a place to bolt them down, I don't even know if that second one would even fit lengthwise in my garage. If it did... I'd still need money.

• Like Like x 1
  6. rags

rags Well-Known Member

buy one less car. side work? that big drive on could pay for itself in the first month. and really, with the jacks, it is a great deal.

7. LocuMob

It is a great deal. I've bought all the cars for now, other than a parts car I found. Even skipping that, I'd be 80% short. I'm stretched out as far as I'm comfortable financially,otherwise I'd buy it and keep it for as long as needed. But I don't need it, so I can wait for one, down the road. I'm fine with that. The grand plan is a two post, and a four post, best of both worlds.

8. rags

rags Well-Known Member

my best wishes for you. truly hope you accomplish your goals. if you had to choose one, the drive on with jacks is the safer and more versatile.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  9. LocuMob

I've done everything on dirt or gravel so far, I probably wouldn't know what to do with the car on a lift!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. rags

rags Well-Known Member

i used to work for a guy whose rule was "if it doesn't go on a lift, we don't work on it." he was right. that became my rule. whatever effort that you have to make now, divide it by 10. plus you get to be the envy of your friends and neighbors and you'll receive numerous "you suck" awards on FCBO. again, best of luck and i hope that you're successful.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  11. 65sporty

65sporty Old Man with a Hat

This is where I am spoiled, any job where I need a hoist I take to work and do it at night or weekends. I guess one of the perks of where I work, but I have heard of shops not letting guy's work on there own stuff there. That would suck:(

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. LocuMob

First gas station I worked at, one of the techs let this goofy kid use their tools for the piddly things he did with customers cars. I noticed he never cleaned the tools, so I'd wipe them off and put them back. I told this to the tech a few weeks later, as I know how they'd prefer no one touches any tool, and he said he wondered about that, since his tools were clean and better organized. That got me permission to use his tools if needed.

Second shop I worked at I had access to some tools, as I was that goody kid doing piddly stuff.

Third shop there was a tech who would work on my beaters for me while I ran the register.

I wasn't really into working on cars at that point, just basic maintenance stuff, so all the time I could have used a lift, I never really needed it often.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  13. 65sporty

65sporty Old Man with a Hat

I never lock my tool box at work, so anything I have is free to use. There is only the owner, myself, another tech (my trans guy), a young guy who has some of his own tools, but he is going to school this coming winter semester and last is the other young guy who comes in for a couple hours each day in the late afternoon. He has a job, but wants to learn more about cars. He really needs to go to school also.
    I don't worry if someone needs something because it is pretty rare that they do. Specialty tools, the shop owns most of them and the young guy's if they need something will ask or go to the bosses tool box

• Like Like x 3
  14. cantflip

cantflip Old Jagoff with a Hat FCBO Gold Member

I have been the nice guy and the meanest old dick in the shop, as I gauged the situation warranted. It only cost me a few tools over the years to allow others use of my stuff, and I also gave away a lot of tools over the years. I always was in the market for a bulk deal, provided it had something in it that I felt made it worthwhile. A lot of extra air tools and crapsman sockets, or whatever, that I didn't need, and even a couple of smaller boxes.

What I wouldn't tolerate was having to look for my stuff, finding the drawers in disarray, or finding stuff covered in grease or blood. I've kicked a drawer closed more than once when somebody who was warned thought to help theirself, and have extended the invitation to "go ahead, put your fingers in there again". Sometimes I let a struggling kid back into good graces by cleaning and reorganizing, sometimes by applying another nice coat of wax to the box, but always under the terms that they learn a little more appreciation for the property of others.

Those who were doing well, but thought they didn't need to invest in their own tools, usually got a a visit from whichever toolman who showed up next... "Jeff said that you needed this". Most were surprised they could open their own truck account, and I vouched for several of them who the truck guy didn't think were good risks. "If the kid quits or gets fired, I'll take care of the repo for you". There was only one who I had to help clear his truck account before leaving the dealer. Tough love in the world of auto repair... I found in later years that there were some who had residual fear or resentment for my treatment of them. That surprised and even hurt a little, but I also had a bunch who thanked me and felt comfortable dealing with me as a peer, even a couple of parents who appreciated the help I gave their kid starting off.

I still don't know where all of the spare keys I issued over the years went, but it no longer matters. I'm at the point where I am working on what I want to thin out of the collection, starting with the giant space killer of a tool box. It's hard for me to reconcile in my mind that its been 14 years since I packed up the tools at the last shop. I still view most of them as my security if all else goes wrong in the world.

These days "tough love" is more like asking a serious underachiever if they really want to do this for a living, and most days I'm telling someone with zero confidence how much I believe in them. I've tried to explain to the few who are just way too arrogant, that on the shop floor I or someone like me would have them curled up in the fetal position, and sucking their thumb, before lunch... and that they need to dial back the attitude, not the confidence, to survive. It's not because their generation is so bad, its because so many from my generation pampered them, never owned tools for them to "borrow", and never bought them anything they could actually fix anyhow.

• Like Like x 2