1967 Monaco 383 oil pan drop

GJS

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm anticipating surprises here. I have to drop the pan off my 383. Thus far, I've disconnected the Y pipe, which actually gave me precious little more clearance as the driver side inlet to the exhaust rests on the t bar... I know I'll have to drop the center link off the idler and the pitman... still, looking at it, I can imagine that that won't be enough.

Any experience with this? Am I being too optimistic in thinking that I won't have to jack the engine?

I mean, whatever I gotta do, the pan has to come off to be straightened anyhow.

No reason to raise the engine. Get a extension and swivel socket to get some of the bolts out.

No reason to raise the engine. Get a extension and swivel socket to get some of the bolts out.
I'm not so worried about getting the bolts out as I am clearance of the crossmember. The pans rear lip sits close to the inspection cover on the tranny so I'm thinking that dropping it in the back won't leave enough room to clear the inspection plate while sliding out from between the block and the crossmember... not to mention the pickup being down in the sump.. it's bound to hang up in that I'd think.

Let me make sure I'm reading this correctly.
You have removed a big block oil pan from a C-body without raising the engine..
This includes the bolts attaching the front of the pan directly above the engine crossmember and slipping the pan past the oil pickup.

It will come right out. The pick up will not cause any issues.
Believe me, if I don't have to raise her, I'll be all the more happy. The main reason I'm not tearing it down entirely is because the bottom end seems fine AND I don't have the equipment, space or money to do a complete rebuild this year.
Guess I'll get the centerlink out and see where I'm at!

Let me make sure I'm reading this correctly.
You have removed a big block oil pan from a C-body without raising the engine..
This includes the bolts attaching the front of the pan directly above the engine crossmember and slipping the pan past the oil pickup.
Popcorn emoji thingy here.

I have done it before in my 65 Polara without dropping the center link. Would prefer not to do it again and it was a number of years ago so I don't remember exactly how I did it = I do remember it was in a gravel parking lot at a 7-11 type store with my travel tool box and a hydraulic bottle jack and also that it wasn't a whole lotta fun.

Yep. I done it numerous times on 68-73 B and C bodies big blocks. Drop the link take off inspection cover and unbolt the pan. Maybe if you have collapsed motor mounts there could be a issue. Probably about a half hour on a lift after draining the oil.

Alright... I'm taken with this concept and will document its process. Let's see if I can do this without going full bore drinkard.

I'll be interested in this one myself.

Synchronize your watches: Wednesday after work. You'll know by midnight... or by the painful scream heard round the globe, whichever comes first.
I'll be listening. Now I need to get my a$$ in gear and get out and finish swapping my Torque converter.

I remove the pitman arm from the box and take the idler arm off the frame but I have the tools and that is my preference.

Are you going to add a windage tray?

Back