'68 Fury w/318 oil pan gasket- any easy way to do this??

Hey Dave,
Is there any danger associated with the torsion bars with removing the steering linkage outlined here? Too, is removing the idler arm from the frame easier than just removing it from the center link (as suggested w/ the pitman arm)
thanks.

Torsion bars should be undisturbed, just don't nail them with any tools or the steering linkage. You do not want to ding or scratch the torsion bars. If you are paranoid about it, you can wrap the torsion bars with some shop rags or an old bath towel, even Several layers of news papers with some tape will work. As far as removing the idler arm either way will work. If the bolt thru the upper part of the idler comes out easily, that can be quicker, otherwise since you have the puller, removing the stud works fine too.

Dave

Torsion bars should be undisturbed, just don't nail them with any tools or the steering linkage. You do not want to ding or scratch the torsion bars. If you are paranoid about it, you can wrap the torsion bars with some shop rags or an old bath towel, even Several layers of news papers with some tape will work. As far as removing the idler arm either way will work. If the bolt thru the upper part of the idler comes out easily, that can be quicker, otherwise since you have the puller, removing the stud works fine too.

Dave
Thanks Dave! I will take care to not mangle/scratch the torsion bars. Is the idea that you don't want to introduce rust or wear?

Thanks Dave! I will take care to not mangle/scratch the torsion bars. Is the idea that you don't want to introduce rust or wear?

Torsion bars get their spring action by twisting, if the bars get scratched or dinged, a crack will develop later and the bar will fracture. The imperfection in the surface of the bar is flexed repeatedly because it is a weak point and eventually the metal starts to fail and a crack starts small and grows quickly until the bar fails.

Dave

Torsion bars get their spring action by twisting, if the bars get scratched or dinged, a crack will develop later and the bar will fracture. The imperfection in the surface of the bar is flexed repeatedly because it is a weak point and eventually the metal starts to fail and a crack starts small and grows quickly until the bar fails.

Dave
Wow, that's amazing. Any idea what type of steel they use for torsion bars?

Not sure about the steel. See www.arengineering.com/Tech/torsion-bar-tango/ for a good write up.

Dave
Hey, that's an interesting article. Great explanation for how torsion bars affect ride quality and handling. A quick search on the internet shows a lot of aftermarket torsion bars available for our c-bodies. Funny thing is (to me at least) most of them seem to offer aftermarket torsion bars with a focus on performance over the "land yacht feel". I think the land yacht feel is one of the main reasons I love my Fury so much!! Too, the land yacht factor makes my car float over washboard dirt roads just like that. Like you're coasting along in a boat.
I love the torsion bar suspension feel and God forbid I ever tighten things up with a stiff bar. I'm sure I'll have to cross that road someday though as we do a lot of dirt roads in the Fury.
Do torsion bars get worn out? Maybe not fractured/broken but just too soft/weak to do any good? It sounds like they're pretty vulnerable to damage.

Hey, that's an interesting article. Great explanation for how torsion bars affect ride quality and handling. A quick search on the internet shows a lot of aftermarket torsion bars available for our c-bodies. Funny thing is (to me at least) most of them seem to offer aftermarket torsion bars with a focus on performance over the "land yacht feel". I think the land yacht feel is one of the main reasons I love my Fury so much!! Too, the land yacht factor makes my car float over washboard dirt roads just like that. Like you're coasting along in a boat.
I love the torsion bar suspension feel and God forbid I ever tighten things up with a stiff bar. I'm sure I'll have to cross that road someday though as we do a lot of dirt roads in the Fury.
Do torsion bars get worn out? Maybe not fractured/broken but just too soft/weak to do any good? It sounds like they're pretty vulnerable to damage.

They usually retain about the same spring rate until they fail. They are worn out when they crack or break.

Dave

have you tried snugging up the pan bolts if it is in fact the pan gasket. just a thought

Late to the thread here...
There's always a fine line between snugging & squashing the remaining gasket...
Trust me, I know... LOL!:lol:

Back