1967 Monaco 383 oil pan drop

I think you need some better tools
Give it up, Cap. He should have raised the engine to save all the frustration and aggravation. I don't feel it was in his best interest to have him not lift it. And he paid the price.
I'd give the same advice again.

I have the right tools and know how so I don't get frustrated doing the job

And when you put it back together pack some strip caulk into the socket to hold the bolt so you can reach the hard to get areas

She'll get back together either way BUT I have to say this, the main hanging area is with the single exhaust. Now, I'm not certain my system is original to the car but considering the climate it lived it and the condition of the system as compared to the rest of the car, I'd say it is aside from the muffler. Dropping the y pipe, the pass side arm hangs on the t bar. In order to shift it over enough to clear the t bar, the starter has to come out.... the flange literally overhangs the positive post on the starter by a 1/4 of an inch.
It's a slight difference to be sure but it is different than a dual set up and a c*** hair more of a PITA for that reason.
No biggie. I'll take pics tomorrow n we can jab each other roundly on the subject!

I guess even Chrysler did not know how to get the job done lol
WP_20170521_01_43_42_Pro.jpg
WP_20170521_01_43_55_Pro.jpg

Two things you still need to do. 1. Remove the starter, you have to take it out to remove the inspection cover on the trans. 2. Completely remove the crossover pipe. There is a coupling in the pipe for this under the passenger seat, two bolts, and the pipe will drop right out.

Well, as long as you don't take the intake off and lay a towel over the valley to keep things clean below while you scrape gaskets and such - and follow it up by reinstalling said intake without removing said terry cloth towel, then you should be just fine. If, however, you should ever do what I just suggested not doing you can get very proficient removing that oil pan to clean lint from the pickup. I was a whole lot younger then and it took 3 times cleaning the pickup before I got frustrated enough to pull the intake and figure out what the cause of the problem was. And yes, it's still embarrassing to admit but I can see some humor now that 45 years have passed........... :(

For inquiring minds, a terry cloth towel will wrap itself around the end of a 383 camshaft very nicely without interfering with engine operation, but it will feed itself into the distributor drive gears and shred itself nicely then drop straight into the pan to be gathered in the oil pump screen. :(:rolleyes:

Well, as long as you don't take the intake off and lay a towel over the valley to keep things clean below while you scrape gaskets and such - and follow it up by reinstalling said intake without removing said terry cloth towel, then you should be just fine. If, however, you should ever do what I just suggested not doing you can get very proficient removing that oil pan to clean lint from the pickup. I was a whole lot younger then and it took 3 times cleaning the pickup before I got frustrated enough to pull the intake and figure out what the cause of the problem was. And yes, it's still embarrassing to admit but I can see some humor now that 45 years have passed........... :(

For inquiring minds, a terry cloth towel will wrap itself around the end of a 383 camshaft very nicely without interfering with engine operation, but it will feed itself into the distributor drive gears and shred itself nicely then drop straight into the pan to be gathered in the oil pump screen. :(:rolleyes:
Brother, that sounds like HELL.

Let's just call it a significant learning experience, shall we??
:rofl:
But, yes, with a little practice you can drop the pan in a gravel parking lot with hand tools.

Let's just call it a significant learning experience, shall we??
:rofl:
But, yes, with a little practice you can drop the pan in a gravel parking lot with hand tools.
Oh yea. Changed a transmission parallel parked in Vancouver... changed a PISTON parallel parked in Montreal. Carz are magic!

Ok, these show very little of what they were intended to show... BUT!
First, my perceived issue with the post on the starter was total bunk. Once the coupling from the y pipe to the rest of the exhaust was apart, the whole y pipe slides forwards and drops to the floor. THERE IS NO NEED TO REMOVE THE STARTER.
IMG_2585.JPG

Underneath, with the y pipe and the center link down, two bolt heads on the absolute bottom of the inspection cover are all the clearance needed to drop the pan.
IMG_2587.JPG

I can't say what all anyone would encounter on different varieties of CBodies, that, had I not had my head up my ***, was not so bad.

Back