1967 Monaco (assorted restoration questions)

> The interior of 67 and 68 Monaco’s in Canada were that of a (US?) Sport Fury (aside from the dash).

I'm not sure I follow that. Were the interior trim panels, arm rests or door handles different? Different patterns or fabrics for the seat covers?
The full sized Dodge that came down the Windsor Ontario plant shared the line with the Fury models.
The Dodges were built for Canadian market and Chrysler Canada still had to source Canadian parts.
So they intalled Fury door panels and seats in the Dodges.
Polara 500 got Fury I interior, Polara got Fury II Interior, Base Monaco,Fury III and Monaco 500 got Sport Fury.

Despite the signing of the Autopact agreement in 1965, it took a few years where it was feasible for car makers to build/send cars and parts across the border.
Even up to 1970, even some US built Monaco's were Canadian spec'd as per fender tag and got Fury interiors.
The Canadian car market was different that that of the U.S. at the time.
Here is an educational video on the Canadian car market.

Last edited:
Regarding the brake pedal operation or feel: While driving at say 35 mph and if I just lightly push the pedal it requires almost no effort and it's like something else is pulling the pedal down about 1/2 to 1 inch, I can feel the brakes engage very slightly, if I take my foot off the brakes the pedal stays there, it does not come up. If in that state I need to brake fully I'll apply more pressure and the brakes will respond but they are quite touchy and I don't have good modulation control (or as much as I'm used to). I have to be in the habbit of putting my foot behind the pedal and lifting it up when I accelerate after a stop to insure the brake lights don't stay on.

Now the car hasn't been driven in 20+ years so the brake linings and drum surfaces are probably still rusty and maybe the touchy part of the brake feel is because of that, I don't know.

All this is with a new master cylinder. I did change it, I posted photo's in another thread a couple weeks or a month ago.

It seems to me that a pedal return spring would be all that's needed, I have no idea if there actually was or is such a spring, but if not then what exactly restores the pedal back fully up?

I do have a vacuum powered trunk unlock and another vacuum powered switch for the rear flow-through vent, they work, I don't believe they leak but the trunk vaccum can doesn't seem to store much or any vacuum (haven't fully looked at this). Is the brake pedal behavior possibly connected to a vacuum booster issue or a vacuum accessory leak?

The full sized Dodge that came down the Windsor Ontario plant shared the line with the Fury models.
The Dodges were built for Canadian market and Chrysler Canada still had to source Canadian parts.
So they intalled Fury door panels and seats in the Dodges.
Polara 500 got Fury I interior, Polara got Fury II Interior, Base Monaco,Fury III and Monaco 500 got Sport Fury.

Despite the signing of the Autopact agreement in 1965, it took a few years where it was feasible for car makers to build/send cars and parts across the border.
Even up to 1970, even some US built Monaco's were Canadian spec'd as per fender tag and got Fury interiors.
The Canadian car market was different that that of the U.S. at the time.
Here is an educational video on the Canadian car market.

Thanks, CBarge. I was gonna put some flimsy pictorial up for him but you come correct with the history!

Thanks, CBarge. I was gonna put some flimsy pictorial up for him but you come correct with the history!
Thanks. Been doing research myself..
Why?
Coming soon....

20220828_115855.jpg

20220828_115510.jpg

So a Canadian Monaco was essentially a US Polara (even less if it came with a 318). I feel cheated...

What exactly differentiated a Canadian 67 Monaco vs Polara then? Not the tail lights nor the front grill. You had to get a Monaco 500 just to get the "right" tail lights and front grill? And still you wouldn't have the correct door trim panels? Should I feel better that at least I have the belt-line 1-inch bright aluminum trim strip?

I would love to see a Canadian '67 Dodge Monaco / Polara sales brochure.

When my dad bought the car, it had a radio, he told the dealer to take it out - saved him $150 (which wasn't chump change in 67).

Last edited:
So a Canadian Monaco was essentially a US Polara (even less if it came with a 318). I feel cheated..
Not neccesarily "the same as"
Different country, different vehicle appointments to suit frugal Canadian buyers.
If you wanted an American Monaco, or 1966 American 300 (listed as 300 sport) or an American Pontiac, you would have to pay heavy tarriffs and the bottom line would be the same cost as a well equipped Chrysler.
I have a Canadian 73 Satillite wagon. 3 on da tree, 2 seater vinyl seats.
No radio, no power steering no power nuthin but came standard with power brakes with frt. Discs.
Original owner who lived in Toronto was cheap!

So a Canadian Monaco was essentially a US Polara (even less if it came with a 318). I feel cheated...

What exactly differentiated a Canadian 67 Monaco vs Polara then? Not the tail lights nor the front grill. You had to get a Monaco 500 just to get the "right" tail lights and front grill? And still you wouldn't have the correct door trim panels? Should I feel better that at least I have the belt-line 1-inch bright aluminum trim strip?

I would love to see a Canadian '67 Dodge Monaco / Polara sales brochure.

When my dad bought the car, it had a radio, he told the dealer to take it out - saved him $150 (which wasn't chump change in 67).
First 67 500 I ever loved was Canadian. My first 68 was a Canadian Non 500 318 and I’ll miss that car till I die. Nothing wrong with some can con.

Back