1967 Newport Custom Reverse Light Issue

Bchboy33

Reaction score
Hello! I was told my reverse lights stay on while driving. I verified they stay on in every gear except park. I’d really appreciate it if someone can point me in the right direction to resolve this. Thanks!

What year car?

Bet you have a 1968 or newer car with a 1969 or later trans.

I actually the VERY SAME problem on my '67 New Yorker - I'm "all ears" on what others might say.

If the car still has its original transmission, get underneath at drivers side and the neutral safety switch only has 1 wire.
Newer trans will have a 3 wire switch.
The reverse lights operate separately from the trans in 67 Newport.
The reverse light switch is 3/4 ways down the steering column under the dash. There should be a tab that is operated by the shift mechsnism in the column.
Floor shifted models the reverse light switch is atached to shifter linkage under the PRND21 plate.
Sometimes that tab breaks and it can either be stuck on lighting the lights or stuck off and no reverse lights.
So take a looky and call me in the morning...lol

If the car still has its original transmission, get underneath at drivers side and the neutral safety switch only has 1 wire.
Newer trans will have a 3 wire switch.
The reverse lights operate separately from the trans in 67 Newport.
The reverse light switch is 3/4 ways down the steering column under the dash. There should be a tab that is operated by the shift mechsnism in the column.
Floor shifted models the reverse light switch is atached to shifter linkage under the PRND21 plate.
Sometimes that tab breaks and it can either be stuck on lighting the lights or stuck off and no reverse lights.
So take a looky and call me in the morning...lol
Geez.. I forgot that. I kept thinking the switch was on the trans... No idea why I thought that... I know better.

My bad.

Back