1967 RB 440 - TDC finding issue

You said you want to do it right. If someone replace the timing chain, they could have messed with the distributor gear also. The first order of business should be to find top dead center on #1 cylinder. Then pull the distributor and verify the slot in the distributor drive is parallel with the engine. (meaning straight in line front to rear) If not, take a big screw driver and turn the slot counter clockwise until it drops in the correct position. Then drop the distributor in and verify the rotor points to Number one plug wire. (should be at the seven o'clock position as shown in this thread #11) Then install the wires according to the firing order starting with the #1 plug wire.

Thanks for the reply and further operational information.

With the backfiring and flame-outs, it could well be that the distributor is 180 degrees out. That would be easy to check and especially fix. If the plug wires are "one notch off", that would take a bit more time, but easy to do.

I'm suspecting that you know that #1 cyl is the first cylinder by the battery/driver's side?

Take care,
CBODY67

Thanks for the reply and further operational information.

With the backfiring and flame-outs, it could well be that the distributor is 180 degrees out. That would be easy to check and especially fix. If the plug wires are "one notch off", that would take a bit more time, but easy to do.

I'm suspecting that you know that #1 cyl is the first cylinder by the battery/driver's side?

Take care,
CBODY67
I definitely know, yes... I got a hold of a 1-1/4" socket today so as to turn the crank, when it's warm enough out to do so... My garage isn't heated, it's 32 degrees today and I'm old... LOL

TDC found... Spark plug wires in on 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2... Starts and runs great. Thanks guys!

IMG_20231205_182658060.jpg

IMG_20231210_080524025_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231210_080429934.jpg

Back