1968 Chrysler 300 wheel question

T/A 392

Reaction score
Hello,

I just bought a 1968 Chrysler 300 convertible to go with my 70 convertible. I am looking at putting the new magnum 500 style wheels on it from american racing. I was wondering if anyone has already done this. Also wondering if a 17x8 wheel will fit without any issues. If you have put these on, what size tire did you use? Thanks in advance for your guys help!
68 garage.jpg

I'll be watching responses. I have the same wheels and have not got to try yet. From what I have studied in these forums, it should not be a problem with fit.

The original bias ply tire size 8.55-14 was 28 inches tall.
In a modern 17 inch radial 23560R17 is the exact diameter. Being a 60 series tire, the sidewalls will appear normal and not like the rubber band low profile tires.
(I hate the all rim no sidewall look on full size cars)
That size wil work on the 17x7 wheel with zero offset and 4.0 or 4.25 inch backspacing. No issues with fender skirts.
Hope this helps.

Unless you are road racing and need the little bit of added sidewall verticalness with the 8" wheel, the 7" wheel will work just fine with the referenced backspacing. Seems like the VN501s only come in 4" bsck spacing on as 7" rim width?

There is a bunch of people with these Magnum 500s including me. Just search for AR500, VN500 (2piece) or VN501 (one piece and cheaper). 17x8 with 0 offset (4.5 backspace) should be fine but I dont have a 68 so cant be positive.

Mike, you'll get to see your old ride again at the C Body Show this year at Volo.

You've always had a nice ride or two at any given time, just like your latest acquisition.

Here's my orphan, Bought it from original owner 49K miles L-82, last of the carburetor cars, every options except trailer tow
DSC06209.JPG

DSC06319.JPG

DSC06207.JPG

Back