1968 Fury Convertible Project

Well to be honest - no. I had never heard of left handed threads for lug nuts. So I guess it is/was possible - except one nut did come off with the impact gun. Oh well.

My impact gun will make right hand threads on left hand lugs......No joke. Thankfully I learned the whole left hand lug thing when I was young. My Polara was already converted when I bought it....thankfully.

Next up is drum brakes and front shocks.

Size. Wow. Major novice mistakes here. From my reading and looking at parts lists which seemed to show the same one for front and back – I ordered 11x3” sets. Wrong. I guess I really wanted to max out the stopping power and use the bigger 11x3” ones.

So I picked up some 11x2.5” for the rear. Wrong. I measured inside the drum and seemed plenty of room but not so where they are actually mounted. Who knew? Probably everyone except us.

Turns out 11x2.75” on front and 11x2” on rear (which is what the old ones were). Headslap.

Out with the old

DB2.jpg

DB3.jpg

Anyway son #2 learned how to do drum brakes in school so he has the lead for this part. We took them apart (one at a time) and rebuilt with new parts. New wheel cylinders. Springs. Brake lines (front).

We’ll eventually redo all the metal brake lines – but only after we get everything cleaned up and painted.

DB7.jpg

DB8.jpg

dB6.jpg

We decided to paint the drums mostly because I didn’t like the rust color and it might provide some protection.

DB15.jpgDB16.jpgDB17.jpgDB18.jpgDB19.jpg

DB16.jpg

DB17.jpg

DB18.jpg

DB19.jpg

DB15.jpg

That's a nice looking car......and crew too! LOL!

That's so cool when the whole family enjoys doing the car thing together!

You're a fortunate man!!!

:beerchug:

Keep up the good work, nice color combo. Your leaning the drums in gray or are you going to put on some semi gloss black finish over it ?

Keep up the good work, nice color combo. Your leaning the drums in gray or are you going to put on some semi gloss black finish over it ?

Actually depends on what color we pick for the car. This is not original nor in good shape so it will be redone. Fender tag says satin beige with red interior. It now has this light yellow color with a black/gray vinyl/cloth interior. After looking online at some pics I'm not sure I'm crazy about the satin beige - so maybe it ends up a black car (my favorite color for cars). We could eventually redo the interior back to original red as well. It'll probably end up a family vote.

Painting the drums is not a big job.....you can paint them to match the car now and repaint the drums later with what ever color you decide to paint the car.

Besides.......your Frau seems to enjoy painting the drums.

Looking good. By the way, you can see that some of the original studs are stamped with an R on the end. Those are right handed thread. The ones stamped with an L were left handed before you chopped them off. ;)

I would have never figured that out myself if I hadn't been told......

Looking good. By the way, you can see that some of the original studs are stamped with an R on the end. Those are right handed thread. The ones stamped with an L were left handed before you chopped them off. ;)

I would have never figured that out myself if I hadn't been told......

Yeah I need to dig through the old parts bin and check. They were on the drivers side - so from what I've read that seems likely. But like you I never even considered the possibility.

Anything else with unexpected left-handed threads?

Unusual color combo and you guys are doing great work, keep it up!

A night out on the town

Before we get to the really big projects I thought we'd have some fun with the car.

So - a night at the movies!

drivein1.jpg

drivein2.jpg

drivein3.jpg

drivein4.jpg

What'ya see? Last Saturday we went to the local drive in and watched "Its a mad, mad, mad, mad world". Didnt stay for the two new movies, but you look a hell of a lot younger than me.

Back