1968 fury Need help

Restoration

1. fury-maniac

fury-maniac New Member

I would like to know what was its original color ( interior and body paint ). any idea how ?
    The reason why I'm asking is that I think it's been repainted . I found 3 different colors while sanding the body. Orange, Green and gray .

2. fury-maniac

fury-maniac New Member

while sanding the body, I found 3 diffferent color, I guess it's been repainted. Any idea how can I find original color ( interior and body paint ) ?

3. fury-maniac

fury-maniac New Member

How did you find that information ?

4. fury-maniac

fury-maniac New Member

I want to find out how many fury convertible were made in 1968, since it's odd ball, should n't be many. My friend says that In U.S., customer could pick any combination back then. If it's true, is that mean that it could have slant 6 up to 2-4bbl HEMI ??? It's hard to believe.

5. cbarge

cbarge Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

The fender tag will show the original pain't code . this tag is attached to the left inner fender between the starters relay and master cylinder.
    If you can post a picture of it we can answer your paint inquiry.

The Hemi engine was never offered in the C body line.
    The slant six was available in the lower trim levels. Not offered in the sport fury.
    Hope this helps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ross Wooldridge

Ross Wooldridge Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

No Hemi was available in a Fury.

Others with better information may correct me here (my expertise lies primarily with 65 and 66 C body cars), but an automatic trans was always optional since the default trans was always a 3 speed column shift manual.

Slant 6 and 318 engines were available on regular Fury with the base trans being a 3 speed manual (not sure if a 4 speed was available for those engines in a C body), and 383/440 optional in two or three versions (single or dual exhaust, 2 or four barrel carb option on 383) with optional automatic or 4 speed trans.

I am not sure, but I believe Sport Fury only came with 383 or 440, with 3 speed manual as the base transmission, and 4 speed or automatics were an option.

Forgot to mention that the Fender Tag will have the colour and interior codes on it as well as well as other pertinent info. Post a picture and people here can decode it for you.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. 68 4spd Fury

68 4spd Fury Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  8. 68 4spd Fury

68 4spd Fury Well-Known Member

I don't have access to info right now but I believe the 318 was the base motor in the Sport Fury, with 383-2, 383-4 & 440 as optional. 3 speed manuals available in 318 & 383-2 only, 4 speed in 383-4 & 440, Automatic in all.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. fury-maniac

fury-maniac New Member

Does anyone have Factory Assembly Manual for 1968 sport fury ? I need a copy to restore my car, Please do not tell me that " just put back together the reverse way you took a parts " I'm not that smart, also at this point ,I have no idea what's missing.

10. Ross Wooldridge

Ross Wooldridge Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Fury440

Fury440 At my age everything's a good idea FCBO Gold Member

I've heard the term but have never seen a factory assembly manual. Seems to me I read somewhere that was a GM term.

12. SportFury70

SportFury70 Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your purchase. Looking forward to seeing your progress. Please keep us all updated. Unfortunately I have no parts for you though. If the car is a real 4 speed Sport Fury, you're talking very rare. Especially if it already has a history in Japan. The Sport Fury was higher up in model line and pricing than the Fury III. A Sport Fury came in a 2 door Hardtop, Fast-top or Convertible. 318 small block was the standard engine in one. The grille was different than previous years, it also got a full length side stripe on both sides.

13. cbarge

cbarge Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

Get a Parts Catalogue. Very helpful
    Barge on a Budget 108.jpg
    And
    There is no real "assembly" guide.
    Next best thing is the factory blueprints.
    Still no text,but a pictoral of parts and part numbers.
    Yet very helpful..especially if you took everything apart years ago and trying to figure out HTF to put it back together..
    thumbnail_20190413_191723_resized.jpg
    thumbnail_20190413_191740_resized.jpg

• Like Like x 1