1968 Fury wheels

68furysteve

Reaction score
I recently bought a 1968 Fury II, nothing rare about it really, just in nice original condition....my question is, I found the original broadcast sheet on the rear seat back, and was decoding it with the limited info available on the internet. The codes on sheet 2nd line from the top under category 43-44 tires show 53, on the 3rd line under category 58 show 1. There are two lines at the bottom of the broadcast sheet that I can find no reference charts whatsoever, either from the internet, or from Galen Govier, and I have his little Production Option Code Book that covers 1966-1968, and it doesn't even discuss the lower parts of the broadcast sheet. Now that that's said the code for the wheel on the next to the last line is 16B and the wheel covers 81. The decoding that I got from the top of the sheet says my original tires should be 8.25X14 whitewall from the factory, which of course means my rims should be 14's also. But I have 15" wheels and dog dish caps on this car that look original. Of course I know that they could have been swapped out at any time, but I wanted to make absolutely sure with the code for the wheel "16B". Does anybody know how to decipher the codes on the last 2 lines of these early broadcasts......any help would be greatly appreciated. I will include some pics of what my current rims/caps look like....

1968 fury.jpg

IMG_20140223_140646_040.jpg

My experience tells me those have been swapped onto the car.. Those arent Plymouth caps of 1968 AND would have been used on police cars, ..I believe ..

This is what is running through my brain, I am sure someone will chime in... I dont know the wheel codes of 1968.

That is an interesting car though, just the way she sits

Galen Govier not the most favorite person here, but whatever. I like the car the way it is too, looks like it might have a nice "patina" thing going which is nice to see for a change.

68_Fury0029.jpgmHYsjiIhRPdxU3D6D1FOvpA.jpg

Im not familiar with the 68 and older Cs to know for sure, but here is a sample of all the wheel covers and wheels available for 68 Plymouth with the exception of the Police Pursuit/15'' wheel and dog dish. According to the dealer date book your FURY II would have been standard with the black centered dog dish.
The style on your car now is 1975 thru 1989 Police dog dish.

68_Fury0029.jpg

mHYsjiIhRPdxU3D6D1FOvpA.jpg

I've always loved these .. I used to have a set but haven't seen them in a while. Hope they are still around somewhere.

attachment.php

Looks like you bought the 68 fury II out of Crockett Texas. Where is the car located now??

I recently bought a 1968 Fury II, nothing rare about it really, just in nice original condition....my question is, I found the original broadcast sheet on the rear seat back, and was decoding it with the limited info available on the internet. The codes on sheet 2nd line from the top under category 43-44 tires show 53, on the 3rd line under category 58 show 1. There are two lines at the bottom of the broadcast sheet that I can find no reference charts whatsoever, either from the internet, or from Galen Govier, and I have his little Production Option Code Book that covers 1966-1968, and it doesn't even discuss the lower parts of the broadcast sheet. Now that that's said the code for the wheel on the next to the last line is 16B and the wheel covers 81. The decoding that I got from the top of the sheet says my original tires should be 8.25X14 whitewall from the factory, which of course means my rims should be 14's also. But I have 15" wheels and dog dish caps on this car that look original. Of course I know that they could have been swapped out at any time, but I wanted to make absolutely sure with the code for the wheel "16B". Does anybody know how to decipher the codes on the last 2 lines of these early broadcasts......any help would be greatly appreciated. I will include some pics of what my current rims/caps look like....

1968 Fury II

Yes, you are very observant.....I bought it from Crockett, TX for $1200.00 It is on it's way to Houston, TX......thanks to everyone for their help and information......Steve

.... Does anybody know how to decipher the codes on the last 2 lines of these early broadcasts.......

The bottom two lines are the two or three digit part or assembly codes used to actually build the car. The top part is mostly sales codes, which apply across numerous makes and models. The build codes are the actual assembly parts used to meet the sales codes.

Sales code E62 tells you it was a 383-4bbl but it doesn't tell you which 383-4bbl assembly.
BUILD code ENGINE 725 tells you it was a 383-4bbl 330 Horse for a C body, automatic transmission, with A/C.
Sales codes tell you 'what'. Build codes tell you 'which'.

WHEEL 16B- I'm not sure which rim the 16 actually indicates but it's a 14" rim. The "B" indicates it was painted black, which would be appropriate with....
Wheel cover 81, That is Part Number 2881 781 or the one called "Deluxe" in the upper left hand corner of the wheel cover picture.

Here is the bottom of a build sheet from a CL43H8C. You may or may not find similar codes on your sheet.

CL43_Build_Codes_800.jpg

Actually, the proper term for the "..." is an ellipsis, and correctly used, you use just three periods...like this.

Back