For Sale 1968 Imperial Mobile director (not mine)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is a really impressive car. The mileage is believeable and with a good detailing, it would look awesome.

Loaded!
1968 Imperial Crown Coupe Mobile Director option - $10000 (Atwater) hide this posting
image 5 of 10
00l0l_7Q3Qnitxkve_600x450.jpg

01212_cOwYCQVuovW_600x450.jpg

00N0N_81EJya1Byi6_600x450.jpg

00X0X_7k0J0r1pfQY_600x450.jpg

00j0j_rmAmoo0KiE_600x450.jpg

00w0w_ftfjimmUywd_600x450.jpg

00I0I_agBPx5xXdKS_600x450.jpg

00i0i_1NZfje50I7f_600x450.jpg

00808_2eVJdynvtGg_600x450.jpg

00R0R_kASLXoYJq6t_600x450.jpg

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
(google map)

1968 chrysler imperial

condition: good
cylinders: 8 cylinders
drive: rwd
fuel: gas
odometer: 70000
paint color: brown
size: full-size
title status: clean
transmission: automatic

nice all original car with fully loaded options. with 70K original miles. 440 ci motor. Very good shape. any body who is interested contact me and I can send you pictures.

Wait a second, what’s this ‘68 doing with a hood ornament??? I didn’t think the ‘68s got one and then I search images and see that there are 1 or 2 other examples. I need to be schooled, anyone?

Wait a second, what’s this ‘68 doing with a hood ornament??? I didn’t think the ‘68s got one and then I search images and see that there are 1 or 2 other examples. I need to be schooled, anyone?

Honestly, I was thinking the same thing Matt, but then this isn't a fuselage, so I am not so well versed in the details. It just looked out of place to me on an other wise attractive car. I don't really have a use for hood ornaments, at least the ones that stand up.

I've never seen a 68 with a hood ornament before. As much as I love the bird, seems over kill to have the hood ornament just above the ornament in the grill. I'm doubting this was stock.

I do love the full vinyl roof though... of course my dream is a full vinyl Le Baron roof pillar Coupe! Ultra, Ultra rare and very desirable...obviously

from the imperialclub.com

Question from Joe (1967 - 1968):

I have 2 '68 Imperials, one with an eagle and wreath for a hood emblem and the other has none as it is with a smooth hood strip. Which year has the eagle with the wreath? My parts book for '68 shows none. I do not have a '67 parts book to confirm this. What I found while cleaning my biggest building is another eagle and wreath hood emblem in very nice cond with a hole at the bottom so as to be mounted with a spring loaded connection. I want to advertise it in the for sale section, but not exactly sure if it is truly a '67.

Replies:

From Mike:

The '67 hood ornament is a one year only item, and it is probably the most sought after and prized item for Imperials of this year. It is a gorgeous piece, consiting of a round crome ring, with a glass insert. The glass insert has an Imperial Eagle inside of it. Truly magnificent. Unfortunately, they are not spring mounted, they break off easily when subjected to prods by hood-lums (pun intended) and the glass tends to craze. For about $400, there's a company that will refurbish your old one...forget the name, its on the Vendors list at the website.

'68's should have no hood ornament. They simply have an Imperial Eagle at the center of the grille. The Eagle encircled with a wreath, as you have, is a 1970's vintage hood ornament. They are very common- I have one myself in a box. They bring about $10 to $20 for an average one. As such, they are often used to replace missing $$$ 67 ornaments, or to add an ornament to a '68.

From Chris:

I wholeheartedly agree with Mike on the beauty of the '67 stand-up ornament... Actually, it's lucite (clear acrylic plastic), not glass.

An eagle in a wreath (is it a wreath or just a circle?) is from a most likely from a late'70s or 80s LeBaron (non-Imperial), since the Imperial did not have a standup ornament from 1968 until 1974. The '90-93 Imperial used a
clear Pentastar on the hood, but a wreath around the eagle (in a new, more detailed design) on the trunklid.

I bought a bunch of emblems from a Craigslist ad a couple of years ago that included 2 nos ‘67 hood ornaments.:icon_fU:
They are pretty aren’t they??

B6C44B81-6CE1-4ED0-9B02-3F551A03FB2F.jpeg
2BBCFECF-363F-4325-B7F8-06F124073F87.jpeg

This guy would have had to change the hood Speer too but I guess it’s possible.

I would start collecting fender tag or VIN information . A late change may have taken place. It took, Fratzog Fred, myself and half a dozen others to bust the rear bumper emblem and the dash pad mysteries on the 70 Polara

This guy would have had to change the hood Speer too but I guess it’s possible.

I may have reached the point of talking out my ***, but I'd wager it's a '67 hood on the car. The '68 trim wraps down the front, I'm not sure if that part has a pin that goes into the hood, but if it does, it would have been filled in or it's a '67 hood with lingerie to match.

Ad was posted 2 months ago........
Why is it still there?

I may have reached the point of talking out my ***, but I'd wager it's a '67 hood on the car. The '68 trim wraps down the front, I'm not sure if that part has a pin that goes into the hood, but if it does, it would have been filled in or it's a '67 hood with lingerie to match.
All of the paint looks to be original though...

Nice collection Matt! You should sell me one of those ornaments! :thumbsup:
I needed 1 for mine and now I feel like the minute I sell the spare I’ll take a stone to the one on the car.:BangHead:
I also know I’ll never find another. I couldn’t pick up the phone fast enough when I saw the ad!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back