For Sale 1968 PLYMOUTH FURY Stock#: 18791679 VIN: PM43F8D1113530000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matt was joking about the rare option, somebody converted this car to suicide doors...
Alan
This car doesn't have suicide doors, it just has relocated outer door handles. The red arrow at the bottom of the pic is the trim you see on the other door, and the blue line is the leading edge of the door upholstery.

I hafta admit, the doorhandle relo is pretty ingenious, and the linkage is probably not terribly complicated. Need the original handle holes filled/painted of course.

And any 4-door car with suicide doors needs to still have a B-pillar post, as you cannot simply have the doors latch to each other edge-to-edge, that would be completely unsafe.
upload_2016-12-20_19-49-54.png

I changed my mind about the ingenious part, as that would be a really hard door to open from the outside, unless you used both hands. Ain't no opening that back door with 1 hand while holding a case of Shlitz in the other...

Once again another automotive term getting lost in translation.

For those who don't know a suicide door is simply one that hinges at the rear, the idea goes back to the beginning of car doors.
I personally think the term suicide originated with the 1955 Thunderbird with its Suicide Hood (hinged at the front), implying that in an accident you would be decapitated by the hood. A little later when Lincoln put reversed swinging door in the rear and the term was utilized.

Alan

Mopars had mass production suicide doors waaaaay before Lincoln.

Yup, as did other companies, I was more making reference to the term Suicide in reference to these, not so much to the concept. I do not think the term was used for the doors or the hood until the 55 T-Bird and when Lincoln later had the suicide doors the term was applied. The Lincoln might be the first car that people started calling the doors suicide doors, definitely not the first cars to have them.

Alan

I personally think the term suicide originated with the 1955 Thunderbird.

Rear hinged doors date back to the 20's and 30's. there purpose was to offer easier access while entering the vehicle. Much more dignified for the ladies who did not like to spread their knees to enter.
The term "suicide was coined because if the door was not closed and latched properly it had a tendancy to fly open at speed and eject the occupant.

I'll see your :rolleyes: and raise you a:p.

Following CudaJames69, those 2 modern cars have what is known as a 3-point latch on the rear doors, and the front latches to the rear. You can see it in the rear door of the car for sure.
What you are saying is that when the rear door is closed and latched to the body, that rear door becomes the B-piller for the front door...
:rolleyes::p:rolleyes:

Dummy me! I was wondering why someone concluded they were suicide doors without seeing them open! I just noticed the door handles! Duh! :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back