1968 Plymouth Fury Texas Highway Patrol

So Back in 1994 there was an ad in Hemmings for a 67 fury, 440-4-speed. The seller stated it was a former Texas State Patrol car. Special ordered by the head of the TSP. It had the radio and siren in the car. I know the hood scoops are not correct, as the seller stated the previous owner installed them. I have no way of knowing if it was a true TSP or not, but the car was a real 440 4-speed, the bumper guards look correct. This is all I have, if I remember correctly it was $5,500 which was a kinda a lot then, but super rare car. PS23L________ where is the car today?????View attachment 92069 View attachment 92071

I'm going to be honest - my first reaction to this picture is "could be".

Texas was testing many cars in 67-68 for pursuit vehicles. I know of a trooper in Lubbock who said he was given a fully marked two door Buick Skylark with the 455 engine to test as a pursuit vehicle in 1967 - so however unlikely it may be that a police agency would buy a car like this, it could've happened, in Texas, in that time frame.

That's definitely a Texas DPS bumper guard on the front - I've never seen them on any other vehicles, civilian or law enforcement.

Either way, great pics - thanks for sharing!

I'm going to be honest - my first reaction to this picture is "could be".

Texas was testing many cars in 67-68 for pursuit vehicles. I know of a trooper in Lubbock who said he was given a fully marked two door Buick Skylark with the 455 engine to test as a pursuit vehicle in 1967 - so however unlikely it may be that a police agency would buy a car like this, it could've happened, in Texas, in that time frame.

That's definitely a Texas DPS bumper guard on the front - I've never seen them on any other vehicles, civilian or law enforcement.

Either way, great pics - thanks for sharing!
That's pretty cool, but they didn't sell 455's in 67, 430 maybe?

I literally know nothing about them, just repeating the story:thumbsup:

He was getting pretty up there in years, so I'm sure some details were mis-remembered

TRW Pump rebuilt, repainted, and mounted this afternoon...Hopefully the A/C compressor and drier arrive next week - I got the DMT a/c box rebuild gasket kit today, guess I know what I will be pulling out this weekend!:thumbsup:

FullSizeRender.jpg
IMG_6075.JPG

Realized while looking at these pictures that I haven't repainted the water pump neck yet...it was done early one with the "new" Mopar Performance turquoise paint (P4120752AB) that was way too blue. Found five cans of this stuff hidden away in the back corner of a local dealership, now down to three
IMG_6082.JPG

So here's an interesting story, which may somewhat allow me to change the direction in which this vehicle is restored.

I was contacted by the seller of this Fury recently via snail mail, and given a big stack of paperwork relating to what I now realize is the very unique history of this vehicle. In this stack of paperwork were sales invoices, warranty cards, oil change slips and various other items - and a phone number to a salesman who sold the car to it's second (first?) owner. This is the story he told me, backed up by the paperwork:

This fury was originally sold to the Texas Highway Patrol as a pursuit car - with the 440 Engine, etc... The majority of Highway Patrol cars ordered that year had 383 engines, and the pursuit cars were ordered in smaller groups.

This particular car was ordered, delivered to and received by the Texas Highway Patrol (The equipment left on the car, and the certicard confirm it was ordered and outfitted by them). It was outfitted with their own Police bumper guards, siren, radio, etc... But shortly after taking delivery and outfitting the car, it was noticed that the L code 440 was in fact a 318 - a big factory error!

The car was brought back to the dealership, where they promptly ordered a warranty 440 and other related components.

But when complete, the Highway Patrol refused to accept the car -"we don't drive used vehicles" was the line the salesman told me.

So the vehicle's front doors were painted white, everything but the bumper guards and spotlight were removed - and there it sat on the lot, in a limbo of sort. This was due to it being a "K" code car, or in other words - sales tax exempt.

The car was said to have sat on the lot for several months, until about March/April of 1968 when an interested party (A ranched from outside of Houston), said if they added radio and a few other accessories he would purchase the vehicle.

Due to the sales tax exemption, a lot of paperwork shuffling and pleading the situation to chrysler had to be done in order for the sale to go through.

The rest of the documentation proves that this car has fewer than 60,000 original miles on it - as it was just used on and near the ranch.

=================

And that's the story. Somewhat disappointed that this car "is and isn't" a Texas Highway Patrol car - but honestly, I already have a real one with the '72 Polara that I'm still working on.

So that being said, I'm much less concerned with complete originality. I've been reviewing options - and as often as I travel there, I'm thinking I might go a more southeasterly direction with it:
1967 Fury.jpg

It's my understanding that these hubcaps were a fleet/police only item through most of the 60s. Required a special wheel with clips to hold the cap on.

View attachment 60314

View attachment 60315
Rims look the same as the rims the factory used on my 1961 Chrysler 300G, which were actually Dodge truck rims ... even though the Letter Car used a full wheel cover. Just sayin.

Both rear doors are frozen shut (rusty mechanisms) and will not open - suggestions before I tear something up?

Both rear doors are frozen shut (rusty mechanisms) and will not open - suggestions before I tear something up?
I had the same problem, I was able to look into a door on another 4-door Polara and see what moved. I coluld then see where I could stick a screwdriver and twist to move the linkage enough to open the door.

LOCKED.JPG

UNLOCKED.JPG

OPEN.JPG

I don't recall where I jimmied it from, I want to say the horizontal bell-crank in the middle.
As it was it only moved a little but was enough to kick the door open.

Alan

Lock mechanism is moving, but the door just won't budge. Guess I'll have to kick harder!

In other news, a few goodies showed up. It's the small things that can keep you motivated...
IMG_6285.JPG

IMG_6288.JPG

I just went through many of the pictures I have, and it doesn't appear so. From what I've been told, FHP was both strict on vehicle modifications and cheap on equipment in general. They originally only had red spotlights, transitioning to the single blue roof beacon in 1965 until the early 80's when they went to blue lightbars.

Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 4.56.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 4.56.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 4.56.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 4.57.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 4.58.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 4.58.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 4.58.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 4.59.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 4.59.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 4.59.41 PM.png

Great writer and car tester Tom Mcahill in a car????was there a atricle with him testing a police car?

Hi ZedR...just wanted to say I enjoyed reading this thread, please keep it going as work progresses. I am working on (well, haven't actually started yet) a '68 Polara Nevada HP car. Your info on the hubcaps and the special wheels with clips was great info, I'll need a set of those!

I love seeing the vintage cop car photos!

Back