1969-1970 Body Assembly Manual

Mr onetwo

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Is this reprint manual of any use or is it just a rehash of what's in the original FSM(which I already have)? https://www.faxonautoliterature.com...th-Dodge-Big-Car-Body-Assembly-Manual-Reprint

1969-70MoparCBodyRAMp3D.jpg

1969-70MoparCBodyRAMp3D-TOC.jpg

It is not the same as FSM. The body assembly manual contains additional information. A lot of it.

By the way, take a look at the pinstripe application instructions: there seems to be at least three ways to do it correctly. (I assume the two more rare shablons were cost-cut before they ever hit the assembly line.)

I had the B Body version and it's pretty comprehensive and way beyond the FSM for detail.

I didn't know that there was a C Body version though!

I’ve got the ‘64 ‘66 Imp version.:thumbsup:

I forgot about MyMopar.....there is a copy of the 1971 body manual over there...I wonder how many differences there are?:confused:

Take a look at the fine print before you buy, not sure how annoying this may be.

Please see the sample page image. All pages are watermarked with a background image like the sample page.

the print (like the print in original assembly manuals) is occasionally light. There are a handful of spots in the book where some of the words are unreadable.

This contradicts your previous post?
No, I just didn't word it correctly. Sorry for any confusion.

What happened with the FSM is they went from one book, containing body and chassis to two books, one for the body and one for the chassis. This happened when the cars got a little more complicated and rather than one giant think book, you had two books. For example, a 70 Chrysler FSM is one book. The '73 Plymouth FSM is two books.

Bottom line, it's not the assembly book that Faxom is selling. Again, more much more detail in the assembly book.

What happened with the FSM is they went from one book, containing body and chassis to two books, one for the body and one for the chassis. This happened when the cars got a little more complicated.....

Yep. My 2013 Vette had FOUR (thick) books. My 2020? No books, period. It's a CD!

Yep. My 2013 Vette had FOUR (thick) books. My 2020? No books, period. It's a CD!
I had a CD for my Ford Excursion. It was something I bought on eBay and it was a genuine Ford FSM, made for the dealer. One big catch... It had an expiration date (for lack of a better description) so the Ford techs were always using the latest and greatest.

To use it, I had to change the date, specifically set the year back on the computer to think it was 2004 so I could open the FSM.

Of course, that's why it was a quarter of the price too...

I had a CD for my Ford Excursion. It was something I bought on eBay and it was a genuine Ford FSM, made for the dealer. One big catch... It had an expiration date (for lack of a better description) so the Ford techs were always using the latest and greatest.

To use it, I had to change the date, specifically set the year back on the computer to think it was 2004 so I could open the FSM.

Of course, that's why it was a quarter of the price too...
That's interesting to know about the date thing to make it work. Clever you are!

I don't actually have the CD yet, as they're kinda bootleg and hard to get. GM had no intent of making a paper book (like the FSMs published for them by Helm) because they don't want anybody working on these cars except the factory trained dealer guys. The dealership has an online FSM that can be instantly updated by Headquarters, and that makes total sense. The bootleg (with hyperlinks, which is cool) is probably circa August 2020, which means it's a damn antique by now.

The good news for me is that I have a lifetime, 100% warranty, bestowed on my by GM due to a little snafu as I drove away from dealer delivery, which took them 5 weeks to figure out. The damn battery cable wasn't correctly connected to the main fuse panel (there are several other panels, BTW) when the car was built, and just a little road vibration (two miles) shut the car TOTALLY down. And when the engine shuts off, the dual-clutch trans goes immediately into Park. That was a noisy, skidding thrillride for a few seconds! I was the only car to have had this happen (and I'm VIN 11,174), so the techs and the factory guys had no idea what happened. Like I said, took them a long time to find it, and then it was a 30 second fix. All good. And that forever warranty. So....maybe for the first time in my life I won't have the FSM.

THREAD HIJACK--OFF :rolleyes:

Back on topic, is the Assembly Manual really that necessary? I could see if you're restoring a rust bucket to showroom concours, but for a decent car...how necessary?

As for the differences in an "Assembly Manual" and "Body Service Manual" . . .

The BSM is more specific on how to repair certain areas of the vehicle's body. Sometimes including particular wiring harness details and such. In some model years, the rear section of the FSM was the body section, by observation.

An Assembly Manual is what the factory assembly line people used to learn how to build the vehicle and the options it could have. When I got an assy manual for the 1970 Camaro, I was amazed at how detailed everything was. Each option and potential option had its own page(s), with drawings, details, "assembly numbers", etc. Plus any changes that were made to it as things progressed and if it was cancelled prior to production (and who signed off on each change and when they did that). Like the factory 4-speaker stereo set-up that was cancelled and replaced by just a front and rear speaker. The illustrations were very detailed, moreso than a GM parts book or other service literature. Additionally, each amount of any fluid that went into the vehicle on the line was detailed as to how many ounces of what! Quite an informative book.

I would suspect the Chrysler items woeuld be similar.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

The factory “Body Assembly Manual” should be the engineering drawings and documents on how to assemble the “body in white”; for line workers or factory authorized dealerships with Chrysler Co. authuroized body repair facilities. It is not the same book as the “Body Service Manual”.

Example; the factory “Engine Assembly Manual” is not same the factory “Service Manual”.

And if they are selling the “Body Assembly Manual”, but it’s really the “Body Service Manual”, then they are ripping you off.

Last edited:
The factory “Body Assembly Manual” should be the engineering drawings and documents on how to assemble the “body in white”; for line workers or factory authorized dealerships with Chrysler Co. authuroized body repair facilities. It is not the same book as the “Body Service Manual”.

Example; the factory “Engine Assembly Manual” is not same the factory “Service Manual”.

And if they are selling the “Body Assembly Manual”, but it’s really the “Body Service Manual”, then they are ripping you off.
The b body manual I had is exactly that, the factory documents on assembling the car compiled into one book. It's a great book of you are working on a project car and nothing like the FSM.

Faxon lit has been my "go to" vendor for FSM on cd for a number of years.

The b body manual I had is exactly that, the factory documents on assembling the car compiled into one book. It's a great book of you are working on a project car and nothing like the FSM.

Faxon lit has been my "go to" vendor for FSM on cd for a number of years.
Do the water marks interfere at all with the print? Looks like even the mustang manuals on eBay have “Ford Licensed Product” through out.

Do the water marks interfere at all with the print? Looks like even the mustang manuals on eBay have “Ford Licensed Product” through out.
No it doesn't interfere.

I don't have the book anymore so I can't look but it was very light and probably only shows if you make a photocopy.

I bought the same ’60-’70 Body Assembly Manual the OP showed in the first post. To me it looks like it was compiled for the assembly line workers. So thorough and detailed it is.

C892F9B0-7405-4112-9306-318261E1F19B.jpeg
A couple of images of random pages. It says ”Engineering drawing” in the lower right corner. That is ”blueprints” to me.

B2442642-C68A-4CC7-B69C-D6A13DD6A8B9.jpeg

Back