WANTED 1969-1970 Style Road Wheel Center Caps

Status
Not open for further replies.
The AMC piece will fit but is incorrect. The center cap is smaller, I believe the dome is more narrow also

20161018_164002.jpg

I just grabbed a correct set on eBay. Biggest issue I've found is what people call them. It makes it difficult so you have to be thorough. Thanks to Critter for ID'ing them for me before I purchased them.

I just grabbed a correct set on eBay. Biggest issue I've found is what people call them. It makes it difficult so you have to be thorough. Thanks to Critter for ID'ing them for me before I purchased them.

dont give away your secrets

Come to think of it; since those early style center caps are obsolete, and are going for silly money on the market, how come nobody hasn't come up with repros? I'd think it would be a relatively straight forward job to scan one, and to 3D print a batch. The cone is not a structural part, just a piece of deco on the steel wheel, so a plastic piece painted with chromium paint would do the job just fine.

Anything is possible and that sounds doable but I wouldn't buy plastic reppops.

BTW, thank you once again Mr C.

Screenshot_2016-10-19-09-12-12-459.jpeg

Last edited:
Bob Baker and I looked into repopping them, but the investment to make them (overseas was the only reasonable option we could find, and then several members here said they would not buy them if not made in the U.S.) was about $20 grand. We had a third partner interested, but ultimately got cold feet due to the lukewarm interest and disapproval of overseas parts given the investment costs.

Thanks, saforwardlook, for even testing the repop idea. 20 grand - I see. Now, I can perfectly understand the patriotic feelings expressed here on the Forum, about parts being Made in the USA. For my part however, I would buy those repop parts no matter where they were made (provided there would not be a US made part available), if the quality were top notch. And that is only a matter of supervising the production process while outsourcing.

But if a NOS center go's for $200 - 250 which makes a set of 4 a thousand dollar purchase. You'd almost think there would be a profitable market.....

But if a NOS center go's for $200 - 250 which makes a set of 4 a thousand dollar purchase. You'd almost think there would be a profitable market.....
I agree, but I think it would require someone who was willing to risk the investment and then be patient enough to see a return which I don't think would come very quickly.

I bought a set of driver quality RWs a while back
picture-1926-jpg.81262.jpg

I figured I wanted spares and this covers all my desires... You need to be ready to jump quick if a fair priced set or NOS comes along. All of mine have minor pitting, but I have seen way worse and for more than I paid... I will watch for these during my Florida car season (winter), but I bet I don't find anything better than I already have and for much more $$

I haven't run the wheels on the balancer yet to see if they are all straight, and one has a darker center... for my wants, who cares? The rings and centers put me ahead. I like the look of the newer domes better, but I couldn't do that to an Imperial... they have to stay looking correct.

It actually is remarkable how many of these are out there. I find C body trim rings frequently at swap meets because no one knows what they belong to.

I've sold off much of my stuff over recent years, trim rings being no exception

Has anybody fully restored a set?
The entire wheel would have to be blasted and then. chromed.
And the Dome. And the cap on the later ones The Domes would be especially expensive because they are usually pitted. And the retaining clips on the caps are usually iffy.
The trim rings polished.
Don't forget the new set of lugs. Painting the center, also.
I can see restoring being up to 2 grand. :wideyed:

And how do you justify that in a 25 hundred dollar car?

On a resto like the Critters. Yes, well deserved. Any NYB that I've seen, not so much.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back