1969 Chrysler New Yorker Booster and Master Cylinder

mickfl

Reaction score
Good morning, I hope everyone had a great Christmas/ holiday weekend.

Does anyone know of a new booster/master cylinder replacement for a 69 new yorker?

I purchased one that said it was a exact fit but I need to replace a portion of the brake lines to fit the master cylinder and modify the firewall to accept the new bolt pattern.

I read through the forum and found the Power Brake Booster Exchange | Providing Parts for Classic Cars which I'll check out - I was just curious if there was a combo out there for sale possible new stock?

Thank you

The 69/70 boosters are exceedingly hard to find. Exceedingly. The vendors like RockAuto and OReilly say they have them on their sites, but they don't, period. And Booster Exchange WILL NOT have one in stock or a rebuildable core, and neither did anyone else in the booster business when I was looking this past August. Send your unit to them and for $200 plus $30 to ship it back to you, you'll have a booster that will be nicely repainted and work perfectly for another couple of decades.

The overall subject is discussed here. Pics of "Booster Steve" rebuilt 69-70 8.5 inch dual-diaphragm unit.

NQJQ5840.JPG

The correct OEM-looking master cylinders (with a "thermometer" shape at the forward end of the casting) are also hard to find but not impossible. I scored an NOS with a fairly big price tag. I'm under the impression (no personal experience) that the incorrect aftermarket units typically bolt up and work fine. Not sure about the problem you have with your brake lines, but not surprised either if you're trying an aftermarket master.

PQPT8429.JPG

IMG_2115.JPG

How about some more information. Does your car have Drum or Disc brakes on the front? They are different masters and boosters. The lines are different for the front port so they could not be mixed up at the factory. Pictures help.

How about some more information. Does your car have Drum or Disc brakes on the front? They are different masters and boosters. The lines are different for the front port so they could not be mixed up at the factory. Pictures help.
Very good points, all!
I obviously was thinking that we were talking a disc/drum setup like I have, which was dumbassery on my part.

Very good points, all!
I obviously was thinking that we were talking a disc/drum setup like I have, which was dumbassery on my part.
Not dumbassary at all. This was the time when the transition was happening. I had a 1969 Newport that had drum front brakes. Being very young and stupid, I put the wrong booster on it. The accident was not pretty.

Well, some dumbassery. I see "Newport", I think "Big car, so it must have discs to stop". :D

When the OP responds, we'll have all sorts of info for him.

Back