For Sale 1969 dodge monaco 383HP CHEAP!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I was surprised by the info provided regarding the 335 and 330 horsepower 383's. I think I'm more confused now than before. From what I can tell, only the Super Bee and Road Runner were equipped with the 335 horsepower version. Charger, Dart, Sport Fury, etc. were all the 330 HP version but were marketed as high performance. To further confuse this, the 330 HP was referred to as HP, High Performance in the Parts manual for 1969.
INF-4.JPG

This topic peaked my interest because I purchased a bunch of parts from a 69 Sport Fury that was equipped with an E63 H code 383 and it had the unsilenced air cleaner and other marketing HP cosmetics.

For Fury, they list the 4 BBL 383 as Super Commando with unsilenced air cleaner and special cam but still only 330 HP.

So I'm concluding that if you bought a Charger, Dart, Sport Fury, Barracuda or the like they put the unsilenced or dual snorkel air cleaner and other cosmetics on it to look more high performance?

Fender tag.JPG
sport fury 383 E63 H.JPG
Fury Engines.JPG

So, I was surprised by the info provided regarding the 335 and 330 horsepower 383's. I think I'm more confused now than before. From what I can tell, only the Super Bee and Road Runner were equipped with the 335 horsepower version. Charger, Dart, Sport Fury, etc. were all the 330 HP version but were marketed as high performance. To further confuse this, the 330 HP was referred to as HP, High Performance in the Parts manual for 1969.

This topic peaked my interest because I purchased a bunch of parts from a 69 Sport Fury that was equipped with an E63 H code 383 and it had the unsilenced air cleaner and other marketing HP cosmetics.

For Fury, they list the 4 BBL 383 as Super Commando with unsilenced air cleaner and special cam but still only 330 HP.

So I'm concluding that if you bought a Charger, Dart, Sport Fury, Barracuda or the like they put the unsilenced or dual snorkel air cleaner and other cosmetics on it to look more high performance?

Prior to 68 and in 71, the term HP was used to distinguish the 383-4bbl from the 383-2bbl. Maybe that's where the term HP manifolds comes from. I don't know.

From 68-70, there was an additional 383-4 rated at 335 horse. The actual application, or what the 335 assembly was used for varies each year. For example, in 68 and 69, you could not get the 335 horse assembly with A/C. In 70 you could. In 68, the 335 horse was only available in the Road Runner and Super Bee with either transmission. (There was a variation for the A body rated lower due to restrictive exhaust manifolds.) In 69 ANY B body (Charger, Coronet 500, Sport Satellite, etc) with a four speed got the 335 horse. 1970 has it's own applications also.

From 68-70, all 383-4bbls have the H code in the VIN. In 68 the engine code is 62 and for 69 and 70 it's E63. These just tell you WHAT the car has; a 383-4bbl. It does not tell you WHICH assembly or HP rating comes with that assembly. (Yes, it's common to see the H code listed as HP. It's incorrect but making a sweeping claim is MUCH easier than trying to explain all of the various applications and nuances for the 68-70 383-4bbl)

Below is a picture showing the various '68 383-4bbl assemblies. All of these will code H in the VIN and all will code 62 on the fender tag but each is a unique assembly designed for a particular application. There are different HP ratings for the assemblies depending on application. The same concepts hold true for 69 and 70. (I'm just too lazy to put together the equivalent picture)

So don't look at the WHAT (H VIN or engine code on the fender tag) look at the WHICH or the assembly based on application. The actual assembly is listed on the broadcast sheet or the fender tag of a car built at the Lynch Road plant for model year 69 and later.

I don't think I've ever come across any factory documentation for a C body 335 horse assembly.
No 335 horse assembly with A/C in 68 or 69.
No 335 horse assembly in anything but a Super Bee or Road Runner in '68.
'69 B bodies with a four speed without A/C got the 335 horse. (so no 69 Chargers with automatics got the 335 horse. If you got the four speed, you got the 335 horse version.)
I need to brush up on my 70 applications.....

68_383-4_ALL_68_Dodge.jpg

Thanks for posting that, 69Coronet RT. I remember us having that discussion in the last few months.

I think some of my confusion comes regarding the camshaft. Don't the 330hp versions have a different cam than the 2-barrel versions? From my understanding, 383-2 and 350hp 440 have the same 256° camshaft. But I have seen some marketing info (different from teh ones above) wherein the 330hp 383 is listed as having a 'special' cam, and the 335hp version and 440HP as having a 'high performance' cam. I have no solid part# or FSM data to prove it, but I always thought the 330hp version had a bigger single-pattern cam than the 2-barrel engine, vs the 268°/284° cam of the 'true' HP engines. I also base this that I doubt you could add a compression, carb, HP manifolds and dual exh to a 383 2-barrel and gain 40hp thru the same 256° cam. But I dunno.

All I know is if my next car had the 330hp version of 383 I'd be happy.

And I would not call this subject car *cheap*, I see a car, albeit solid, that needs a lot of work all around. I think it's priced at exactly what it's worth.

Thanks for posting that, 69Coronet RT. I remember us having that discussion in the last few months.

I think some of my confusion comes regarding the camshaft. Don't the 330hp versions have a different cam than the 2-barrel versions?
And I would not call this subject car *cheap*, I see a car, albeit solid, that needs a lot of work all around. I think it's priced at exactly what it's worth.

The 383-2, 383-4 330 horse and 440-4 350 horse use the same cam.
69_Camshafts_800.jpg

69_Cam_specs _575.jpg

Man, you are awesome! I merely mention I have no FSM data, and pow! - there it is.

So take my earlier comment about adding 40 hp thru a 256° cam - now I'm flummoxed that the HP cam adds only 5 more hp? Something doesn't add up.

We might then say 'the 383HP is under-rated at 335', but I've read numerous places over the years that the 375hp 440 was correct, or over-rated a bit, so adding 57 inches to a 383HP to gain less than 40 hp to a 440HP doesn't seem right.

And what is the '.05" Raised Ring located next to Gear'??? That seems to be the deciding term in which cam the 383-4 got.

And what is the '.05" Raised Ring located next to Gear'??? That seems to be the deciding term in which cam the 383-4 got.

The APPLICATION (A, B, C body and sometimes the model i.e. RR or SB, A/C or not. Manual or automatic transmission) determined the ASSEMBLY (330 horse, 335 horse). The ASSEMBLY determined the cam.

Man, you are awesome! I merely mention I have no FSM data, and pow! - there it is.

So take my earlier comment about adding 40 hp thru a 256° cam - now I'm flummoxed that the HP cam adds only 5 more hp? Something doesn't add up.

Sure it does ;)

Ford GT 390 rated at 315 horse
AMC AMX 390 rated at 315
Chevy SS 396 rated at 325 horse
Pontiac GTO 400 rated at 335

Hmmmm... a Mopar 383, 17 cubic inches less, put out the same HP as the GTO and the RR was cheaper. Hmmm. Wonder how that happened????? :)

It didn't matter what it produced, it matter what it was 'rated' compared to the competition and insurance companies.

Do you really believe a Cobra Jet 428 put out 335 horse? A Hemi 425?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back