For Sale 1969 Fury III Coupe - I Love You

Status
Not open for further replies.
That red on the fuel tank is the original red oxide primer painted at the factory. My 1967 Fury has the same.
Hmmm, that's the first I've ever heard that, I'd like to see more info on that before I'd agree. Of the cars I've owned (or parted out) that weren't undercoated, none of them had any primer on the gas tank. If they had, I would've noticed it, especially on a non-red car (red oxide on a gold car, for example). That would also mean that these cars were primed after assembly, but I believe they were dipped for the primer stages, prior to assembly. Keep in mind that we know this particular car was repainted, and seller says it was thorough, so I believe what we are seeing is overspray due to car being painted with rear bumper removed. (just my opinion)

Hmmm, that's the first I've ever heard that, I'd like to see more info on that before I'd agree. Of the cars I've owned (or parted out) that weren't undercoated, none of them had any primer on the gas tank. If they had, I would've noticed it, especially on a non-red car (red oxide on a gold car, for example). That would also mean that these cars were primed after assembly, but I believe they were dipped for the primer stages, prior to assembly. Keep in mind that we know this particular car was repainted, and seller says it was thorough, so I believe what we are seeing is overspray due to car being painted with rear bumper removed. (just my opinion)
The ENTIRE underside of my 1967 Fury VIP was factory painted with red-oxide primer after it was completely assembled; the tank, straps, nuts, bolts, all 4 shocks, fuel and brake lines.. Everything. But please don't take my word for it, you can come see it for yourself sometime.

This 1969 had the same primer applied in the same way. That is not overspray, nor is it even the same color red as the body panels. The paint that looks washed away is exactly that, washed and worn from road splash up of road salt, water, etc.

And there is no green on the frame rails either. That's faded red-oxide.

Last edited:
Why is that specifically?

I guess its the bit of purist in me lol. It just bugs me. Went to all that trouble to re color, and “had the car apart”. They obviously had time to spray black on there. Why not the proper body color? Then start wondering, if he cheaped out there, where else might have been cheaped out on? Not saying they did, but makes you wonder.

The black firewall thing goes back to "he's a chevy guy". GM Cars were all black under the hood, so it is perceived that the owner that did the painting knows nothing about a Mopar. I bought a nice 73 318 engine from a guy that had painted the engine ford Blue. I asked him: what the hell is that? His response was: hey, I'm a chevy guy, I don't know the difference! HAHA true story!

It is a nice looking car. Black firewall kills it for me though.....
From what I am seeing on low mileage cars of the same year and model black was what they were painted. It would make sense that if you were going to pull the engine to paint it blue you would paint the engine compartment too but if the car was originally green then the engine compartment would be green too, based on that the engine compartment was always black, didn't have anything to do with chevy.

From what I am seeing on low mileage cars of the same year and model black was what they were painted. It would make sense that if you were going to pull the engine to paint it blue you would paint the engine compartment too but if the car was originally green then the engine compartment would be green too, based on that the engine compartment was always black, didn't have anything to do with chevy.

So what was incorrect?

All chrysler vehicles are painted body color on the firewall, from the factory No black. If there is black paint on the firewall (other then a black car) it has been repainted.

The all black under hood is a GM thing.

BF7E2FAA-B35F-481A-8FDA-7FBEFE3C1B6F.jpeg
B03B7964-AF39-4A4A-9721-EC0D77AEA855.jpeg

Like Monaco75 said:

All Cs have the cowl/firewall and radiator support painted body color.
Slabs have the inner fenderwells painted body color.
Fuseys have black fenderwells.
Of course the above rule is a little different if the car is black. No, actually, the rule still stands...

IMO a GM underhood is a little boring, it's a blacked-out maintenance area, while the Mopar underhood looks like it was meant to be admired a little. Compare our HP manifolds to some of the other companies - ours are a little more artistic in the execution, smoother, cleaner.

Last edited:
Not pulling an engine is a poor excuse to do a poor job on engine detailing.

Although the fenderwells and radiator support were removed for sandblasting on this car of mine, it could've been done quite nicely with them in place.
More to the point - this firewall was cleaned up and painted with the engine in the car.

It's a matter of removing some things, careful cleaning/prepping, and using a lot of masking tape, posterboard shields and aluminum foil. And having the car paint mixed into aerosol cans by a paint supply house.

upload_2018-4-15_21-11-31.png

This engine was re-detailed after a coolant hose blew and ruined the prior resto work. Took a full weekend to re-do it. Belt-drive stuff removed and painted, manifolds and everything below stayed in place. Sides of engine block still had the prior resto work, but you can't see that from above.
upload_2018-4-15_21-17-26.png

My point is - you don't need to pull an engine to do a presentable job. It just takes patience and determination. This thread's 69 Fury deserved a little better job underhood.

I sit corrected, this is an under hood shot of a really great car that I once had......

upload_2018-4-15_23-34-9.jpeg

upload_2018-4-15_23-35-10.jpeg

I also noticed that Fury has headers on it.

Last edited:
Well, all someone has to do is call the man and make an offer. This might end up being a 9-12k car.. Let's not let Lakeland Lash get it for the overseas flip at 22k.

Lets see if he bites on $12,000.00.....

Well guys I wrote to the owner and offered $12,000.00, but two days later I received a very nice email stating that after talking with his wife he would not negotiate a lower offer. He stated that of all of the classic cars he has owned he liked the Fury lll the most. Just thought I would put this out there just in case anyone had any interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back