1969 Fury lower control arm installation

jgchemie

Reaction score
I need some help with reinstalling my lower control arms, torsion bars, struts, and lower ball joint on my 1969 Fury. I recently replaced all the bushings and upper ball joints so the entire front end was taken a part. My challenge is re-assembling everything and getting the torsion bars to align with the hex opening on the lower control arm.

Do I install the lower control arm to the cross member (with strut installed) then align it with the lower ball joint, shock and brake assembly BEFORE I insert the torsion bar? Or, do I install the torsion bar into the lower control arm with adjusting bolt backed and simply hold the control arm up to a reasonable height?

I've tried it both ways. On the driver's side, I assembled everything then tried to insert the torsion bar but I cannot get alignment. On the passenger side, I inserted the torsion bar before completely connecting the other pieces to the lower control arm and now I'm concerned that I will not have enough adjustment on the torsion bar adjusting screw.

Any thoughts?

Did you (1) Remove upper control arm rebound bumper.?

The Factory Service Manual (FSM) is your friend.
This is from the 1968 FSM for the Fury, I doubt 1969 would be much different.

1968.Torsion.Bar.R.&.R.FSM.001.jpg

1968.Torsion.Bar.R.&.R.FSM.002.jpg

1968.Torsion.Bar.R.&.R.FSM.003.jpg

1968.Torsion.Bar.R.&.R.FSM.004.jpg

Some people 'index' the torsion bars before removal and think that is important but I think you are already beyond that point.

Good Luck...

Thank you! I read those directions but what they don't describe is my situation where I have completely removed the torsion bars (and upgraded them to bigger ones so you can't index them) and removed the lower control arm. Do I re-install the LCA, ball joint, strut and brake assembly, then try to get the torsion bar back into the hex fitting? The previously owner upgraded the exhaust and I cannot remove the torsion bars by pulling back out of the rear cross member. I had to remove the pulling forward after removing the LCA!

Remove your non factory exhaust. If you got the torsion bar out without doing that and the FSM way, just reverse what you did to remove the bar.

Sum'in tells me we are going down the make it hard highway here.

Everything has been hard with this thing! :)
I actually got the torsion bars installed without removing the exhaust. I should have been more clear about the location of the aftermarket exhaust. It is about five inches away so I can push the torsion bar back somewhat. When I removed the torsion bar originally I pushed it out with the LCA until it hit the exhaust. Then there was enough clearance on the front cross member to remove the LCA and shaft, and strut. Then I could pull the torsion bar forward and remove it from the car.

Installing in reverse order has been successful and the front end is back together (minus the new nipples on the upper ball joints- those are not treading easily!). I'm still a little concerned that I may run into problems down the line with the torsion adjusting screws but we'll see... now I'm on to finish the disk brake conversion so I can get my Fury back on the road!

Back