For Sale 1969 Imperial Crown Coupe - $1850 (McHenry Illinois)

Status
Not open for further replies.
200w.gif

I have the same car a 69 and in little bit better condition. I am flirting with putting up for sale. Same color but it is originally a light lima bean green color. I already have 2 Imperials up for sale both 73's and maybe thinking this one. Its a 2 dr lebaron. Pretty much exact car.

Wizard

Keep me looped in on the 69 please.

Gee look what just popped upView attachment 220102

Dang, that was fast. As Carmine noted, the seller had no idea what he had, evidenced right off the bat with the "Crown" claim. And I agree with BLIMP that it is still a good deal. Not as good as twelve hours ago, but early bird gets the worm! I even like the wide whites on it. Looks like someone was playing musical chairs.

Dual snorkel/dual exhaust was a RARE '69 option. Standard internals. Don't know what exhaust manifold were used, probably standard logs. 360 vs 350 HP

While a dual exhaust system was available on a Chrysler model, there was no such regular production option for Imperials. They were all single exhaust (with resonators) and the engines were all rated at 350HP (at least according to the 1969 Imperial data book). And the VIN indicates a "K" engine code, which is a standard 440 (in 1969 a 440 HP engine would have had the "L" engine code). That is not to say one couldn't have been special ordered with one, but not through regular channels. But I have never seen one.

Also, that Imperial was not a Crown model, but rather it was a Le Baron.

Also, is it possible to have a "disagree" response to a comment appear in black rather than "fighting" red? Joey listening?

Last edited:
Is there contact info for the flipper? I don't do the Facebook thing and didn't see any way to get in touch.

You're asking the wrong guy, I've never been on the facebook. I'm sure someone else here will help you out. Best of luck getting her, that one's worth the trouble. Also, I just noticed Vodka posted the facebook link at 2:21 A.M. So this thread was created after the deal actually went down. Chalk it up to the Craigslist poster not taking his ad down until the car is actually gone, don't blame 'em one bit.

Last edited:
While a dual exhaust system was available on a Chrysler model, there was no such regular production option for Imperials. They were all single exhaust (with resonators) and the engines were all rated at 350HP (at least according to the 1969 Imperial data book). And the VIN indicates a "K" engine code, which is a standard 440 (in 1969 a 440 HP engine would have had the "L" engine code). That is not to say one couldn't have been special ordered with one, but not through regular channels. But I have never seen one.

Also, is it possible to have a "disagree" response to a comment appear in black rather than "fighting" red? Joey listening?

Oh crap! Throwdown! No sides taken. I agree with the opinion on the red though. Seems like you're being graded by an elementary teacher.

Here's what I can say...

1) Red X doesn't bother me, lol. Hardly the first or last time I'll see one! Here or real life.

2) Obviously the ImperialClub.org is "the" reference point. Yet their info doesn't list the option. There is no doubt about what I'm describing showing up in '68, and a non-TNT dual does exist as an option for '69 T&C's which is still coded as an E85, not E86 (K vs L). Any other model requires the full TNT package for duals, so the lo-po dual package itself hung around for '69.

3) I swear that Imperial club site is missing a '69 catalog page that shows line-drawings of technical details, one of which mentions the engine. To pullout my copy requires too much digging, but I might have a service manual. (While there, I'll check out the '71 6bbl Fury and '72 6bbl they also mistakenly list, lol.)

4) Since the engine codes are the same, it would be great to see the tag or build sheet and find a code for whatever the T&C option was. Perhaps best would be an underbody shot with the remains of a second factory exhaust hanger! My gut still says this was a typical case of poor communication between marketing and manufacturing; which made the sales department say "Well this (unlisted) option didn't sell for worth a damn, let's drop it."

4) That car looks pretty untouched and the $1850 owner obviously didn't know enough to deliver the usual "375 HP hemi" drivel. Those '68-'69 air cleaners are pretty rare and pricey because of the musclecar crowd, so if incorrect, I'll bet it's been on there a long time.

5) You win this round my friend, and you shall earn your green check mark from me, but I would have gotten away with this if it wasn't for those meddling kids and their crime-fighting dog.

Last edited:
Here's what I can say...

1) Red X doesn't bother me, lol. Hardly the first or last time I'll see one! Here or real life.

2) Obviously the ImperialClub.org is "the" reference point. Yet their info doesn't list the option. There is no doubt about what I'm describing showing up in '68, and a non-TNT dual does exist as an option for '69 T&C's which is still coded as an E85, not E86 (K vs L any other model requires the full TNT package for duals) which is still coded E85, not E86.

For clarity, the 1969 Town & Countrys with the optional standard performance 440 (E85, the only version of the 440 available on the wagon) were all equipped with dual exhausts as standard. I have one of those.

For clarity, the 1969 Town & Countrys with the optional standard performance 440 (E85, the only version of the 440 available on the wagon) were all equipped with dual exhausts as standard. I have one of those.

Be sure you refresh my post... my phone keyboard went nuts and I had to post before I was done.

Be sure you refresh my post... my phone keyboard went nuts and I had to post before I was done.

Yes, I did see the refresh. I also have an original factory dealer showroom 69 Imperial catalog and you are correct in that it does contain a final page with numerous detailed drawings of engineering highlights that you mention, including the engine. But it does not show dual exhausts.

1969 Imperial Brochure Last Page.jpg

There were in fact a few ‘72 V-coded Chargers. I knew of one of them here in the area and I’m sure it hasn’t moved.

There were in fact a few ‘72 V-coded Chargers. I knew of one of them here in the area and I’m sure it hasn’t moved.

I know, there's a local RR as well.

...which is kinda my point about manufacturing often being the last to know, especially with carryover options.

Another source could be a '69 parts catalog, since I would think an Imperial would require a unique (longer) headpipe because if the wheelbase stretch.

Supporting Steve, the only available engine in the Imperial was the standard 440 with single exhaust. I guess this makes sense from a marketing point of view taking into account the average age of the Imperial buyer back then and his assumed lack of interest in sporty driving.

Here is the respective page from the 1969 Imperial data book:

69_Imperial_Models_options_0011.jpg

since I would think an Imperial would require a unique (longer) headpipe because if the wheelbase stretch.
Nope, the engine sits exactly where it would in a Chrysler, that is right in front of the firewall. The wheelbase stretch takes place in the stub frame, moving front wheels farther away from the firewall. So the radiator is farther away from the engine than in Chryslers. That's why Imperials have longer radiator hoses than Chryslers and also a longer (deeper?) fan shroud.

Supporting Steve, the only available engine in the Imperial was the standard 440 with single exhaust. I guess this makes sense from a marketing point of view taking into account the average age of the Imperial buyer back then and his assumed lack of interest in sporty driving.

Here is the respective page from the 1969 Imperial data book:

View attachment 220159

Nope, the engine sits exactly where it would in a Chrysler, that is right in front of the firewall. The wheelbase stretch takes place in the stub frame, moving front wheels farther away from the firewall. So the radiator is farther away from the engine than in Chryslers. That's why Imperials have longer radiator hoses than Chryslers and also a longer (deeper?) fan shroud.

Agree on WB stretch, mounts are in C-body position.

Don't agree on marketing thinking, since the option did exist in '68.

For what it's worth, youtube suggested I watch this... Wouldn't have bothered if not for the thumbnail!

I now draw this conclusion: Early production models were given dual snorkel air cleaners (but not exhaust, as in '68) largely for aesthetic reasons. Then a bean-counter squashed it.

IMG_20181013_150530.png

The description says, "Low restriction intake and exhaust..."
This doesn't reconcile with the air cleaner housing in the illustration, nor the fact that they had single exhaust.

Screenshot_2018-10-13-17-34-43.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back