1969 Imperial progress thread

Unfortunately, vanity plate are not allowed in germany.................... :icon_anal:

Last edited:
My buddy had a 68 Imp with holley he had nothing but problems with it also got another at a swap meet almost identical problems, both had internal fuel leaking problems like floats where too high changed levels but could never work this out. Seemed like metering block was warped didn't show this against straight edge, he ended up putting a aftermarket 600 holley that he had, I don't know if it was just a bad pair but strange that they both had same problems.

My buddy had a 68 Imp with holley he had nothing but problems with it also got another at a swap meet almost identical problems, both had internal fuel leaking problems like floats where too high changed levels but could never work this out. Seemed like metering block was warped didn't show this against straight edge, he ended up putting a aftermarket 600 holley that he had, I don't know if it was just a bad pair but strange that they both had same problems.

I have tried to rebuild perhaps 10 original Holley 4160 4 bbls over the years, and my success rate was 1 of them, probably because it hadn't seen much time on a car. The metering blocks to warp and you can never get them to seal. On the other hand, I have rebuilt scores of Carter AFB/AVS carbs and I think only one of them couldn't be made to run perfectly. I will never again try to rebuild an original Holley 4 bbl. The new Holleys might be OK, seemingly made of better metals, but I will stick with the original Carters. The Holley design seems overly complex and having sealing gaskets on vertical surfaces just seems like asking for trouble in terms of propensity to leak, and then the accelerator pump diaphragms are pretty flimsy - when they leak, they send fuel all over the engine, creating a fire hazard. And the Holleys are just plain stupid heavy. I will not keep one on any of my cars.

Hmm. That sounds not really motivating... I'm not sure if I should try it anyway. Are there striking benefits in using a new carburetor? Even if the stock carburetor work fine?

The Ignition lock cylinder and the door lock cylinder are both the same key (the Pentastar). You'll need the trunk lock cylinder for the round key.

Which is also the same as the glove box and console when so equipped.

Last edited:
The car have no keys anymore. The owner before Dan lost them...

I got my first parts today.
View attachment 23461

The car is still sitting in Dan's frontyard... But when it's here, first thing is to remove a door lock and the ignition lock, bring them to a locksmith that he can make new keys from the lock cylinders.

Where did you get the keys? Any left?

Hmm. That sounds not really motivating... I'm not sure if I should try it anyway. Are there striking benefits in using a new carburetor? Even if the stock carburetor work fine?

I like the old Carters and new Edelbrocks personally for the same reasons as saforwardlook

I was tried and true holley guy but in the last couple of years have been fine tuning/ playing/ learning with the eddys. As far as tuning for mpg the eddys are a better and easier for average dummy like myself, I still like the avs/thunder series just because easy to tune secondary air valve (spring loaded). I have switched my 70 Challenger over to a thermoquad was playing with it mpg definitely went up over the holley, but with so many fuel system problems hard to tell which I like better, I should have those worked out for this season and then we'll see. Vodka with your stock carb I would give it a shot (rebuild it) if it runs good/great nothing wrong with that, also from a picture previously with float the one pictured is a center hung you will need side hung for your carb if you need one at all.

Which is also the same as the glove box and console when so equipped.
Dan told me now, the trunk lock is there but broken and I need a new one. I have to check, how I can get a matching trunk and glove box lock with a new trunk lock.

I have some original holley carbs and can check them if you don't have the correct one
Thanks, but if the stock carb is unrepairable, I probably buy a new Edelbrock carb.

Where did you get the keys? Any left?
I bought them on Ebay, more available.
Here you go: http://www.ebay.de/itm/271154844876?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Vodka with your stock carb I would give it a shot (rebuild it) if it runs good/great nothing wrong with that, also from a picture previously with float the one pictured is a center hung you will need side hung for your carb if you need one at all.
Thanks, when I have the correct name, I am looking for the right parts!

Absolutely not... :angry8:

When they find a truck with driver and enought space on its trailer... From then on only 3-4 more weeks... -_-

Absolutely not... :angry8:

When they find a truck with driver and enought space on its trailer... From then on only 3-4 more weeks... -_-

I guess I'm a little confused as why this is taking so long. When I bought my parts car back in September, I went to UShip on advise from this forum and within 24 hours my car was on a single open carrier. This one is just going to a shipping terminal, correct? Are there special considerations involved for the driver?

I guess I'm a little confused as why this is taking so long. When I bought my parts car back in September, I went to UShip on advise from this forum and within 24 hours my car was on a single open carrier. This one is just going to a shipping terminal, correct? Are there special considerations involved for the driver?

I have no idea whats taking so long... It's the first time I do this. Carsten told me, one time he had to wait 6 weeks until they picked up his car for shipping because the car was located in the middle of nowhere, but my car is sitting in the middle of NY near by a few big highways...

I don't think the driver need special considerations for this job...

I'd be on the phone every hour....
You're putting a burden on a guy who went out of his way for you.
Since you say you've never done this before and don't know what to do, I'll say it by suggesting you do the same.
Just trying to move things along for everybody, Vodka.

Posted via Topify on Android

I called them twice a week until now and they tell me the same thing everytime... They are waiting for a truck.

I know what to do, but everything I do is not helping...

At the same time of hounding them, Id be using every availabe resource to find a carrier who can be there in 48 hours no matter how slim. It will keep you busy but at least it's more productive.

Posted via Topify on Android

I bought a "package" including the truck, the ship and all the paperwork and signed a contract. And I already payed a deposit... Unfortunately, I can't do this by myself anymore...

Question number one before shipping a car: Do you own your own trucks or are you a broker?

Sorry to pile on, I realize that it's too late.

Back