NOT MINE 1970 300 2dr TNT on Post Falls, ID (DR8 metallic dark red, console)

The roof looks very suspect to me. It's rusting from the inside.

On a side note the guy has a plethora of cornbinders. I have a soft spot for those.
I have similar rust scale on my TX9 and the '73 NYB I scrapped. As long as it's not perforated I think it's treatable.

It could be, and should be saved and restored. It needs a full rotisserie resto. Only it takes either deep pockets, or strong determination and serious talent to do it. It has been done, though.
I would love to see this one saved, but they all don't need to be rotisserie. This one could be made respectable without spending thousands of dollars, I'm doing it right now with my vert project, it just takes time and dedication.

And, according to testimony of more experienced members here, the HP engine only makes a difference when you are going really fast already. The regular 440 slowly suffocates above 100 (my experience from back in the day). The HP motor supposedly just keeps going.
I haven't experienced this difference as I don't drive my cars this way to find out

But, my police brothers/sisters made this observation to me many times about their "pursuit" rigs (E86, 440 HPs) vs. their non-pursuit 440s used in "patrol" work.

The HP cars could bring it/stay in a high speed situation "better/longer" than the "regular" non-HP cars (some was engine, other reasons likely HD content other than engine)

Either flavor, 440's were "comparable" in "normal" use I am told. Again, I have no "seat of the pants" experience to guide me.

I am sure there must be some fleet testing (Michigan State Police, e.g,) enthusiasts sources with data to confirm?

@ayilar, is this one still for sale, even though the ebay auction was pulled?
Yes, it is. I posted the photos with the approval of the seller. I don’t know him but I like his responsiveness and the way he answered my questions.

The CL ad is still up and running, as I mentioned yesterday. That ad has his contact info. He also has several HD videos showing more details.

To be clear, I am a law-abiding citizen and have only driven C-bodies in the States at highways speeds that will not land one in a US jail.
1660232999716.png

Nick's Garage has proven on the Dyno that a as built from the factory 440 Magnum can produce 400+ horsepower.
It has been well known going back many decades that the stock built Hemi properly tuned will produce 500 horsepower, this has been well documented by the car magazines eons ago.

Mopar (and many others) kept the horsepower ratings on a conservative side for insurance purposes.

The 2600.00 bid on ebay reflects the car's value based pn its overall condition.
U code or not, it will take a few good paychecks to bring this 300 back to a respectable ride.
Bodywork/paint..12 to 15k
Interior...3 to 5k
Engine and other mechanicals low as 5k and worse case 10k.
So in the end the cost will exceed its overall value so I hope whoever buys it to fix it does so for love.

Kudos to the seller being selective.
He probably knows that any B/E guy wanting a correct date U code 440 will pay for the car, rape its vital organs and get 2k back from the derby guys for the body.

Last edited:
Nick's Garage has proven on the Dyno that a as built from the factory 440 Magnum can produce 400+ horsepower.
It has been well known going back many decades that the stock built Hemi properly tuned will produce 500 horsepower, this has been well documented by the car magazines eons ago.

Mopar (and many others) kept the horsepower ratings on a conservative side for insurance purposes.

With due respect, I highly doubt that number (+400 horses out of a stock E86). With some enhancements to the respiratory system, yes that is doable. Easypeasy. But out of a stock engine, no, I don’t think so. - They made what the factory stated, and that was SAE gross. SAE net equalled to almost exactly the DIN number, which was 280 horses. With those a stock C-body would run low to mid 15’s in the quartermile at best, back in the day. Never in the 14’s even.

I know nothing about Hemi’s. 500 horses? Sounds plausible, but I suspect it was not a stock engine either.

With due respect, I highly doubt that number (+400 horses out of a stock E86). With some enhancements to the respiratory system, yes that is doable. Easypeasy. But out of a stock engine, no, I don’t think so. - They made what the factory stated, and that was SAE gross. SAE net equalled to almost exactly the DIN number, which was 280 horses. With those a stock C-body would run low to mid 15’s in the quartermile at best, back in the day. Never in the 14’s even.

I know nothing about Hemi’s. 500 horses? Sounds plausible, but I suspect it was not a stock engine either.
Ah yea the old crank vs rear wheel horsepower argument. What did the factory test at in the day? I always want to see Nick or anyone for that matter dyno test with all the accessories on the front of the engine with the air cleaner and full factory exhaust but here's Nick with about as close to that as we can get.

He has many other 440 pulls in the 400HP range, notice his talk about his Kowalski Challenger, I can't remember if he did any work on that motor like cam or other than stock intake but he has done many other 440's. There is also a option either on factory order sheets, fender tag or the build sheet for 'special camshaft', my 2nd PK21 with the HP Pursuit 440 and a stock small Holley, the secondary's would not even start to open up until the speedometer hit 120mph which I thought was odd, maybe it had a 'special camshaft'.

Interesting OT. No, I’m not referring to RWHP vs crank hp discussion. My sole point is that a stock E86 made 375 SAE gross horses at the crank, according to period factory sales literature. The same engine made 280 DIN horses at the crank when tested for the German TUV back in the day. The engine in Nick’s video is not stock. It has a very lumpy cam, which obviously helps in the upper RPM sector. Nick specifically points out that he does not know what else there is in that engine. - A PK21 with blueprinted HP engine, with small Holley? Very interesting. And proves my theory that a small holley (650cfm?) is quite enough for a pretty powerful engine. The two strangholds of a stock 440 BB are the factory intake, and the factory exhaust. Not the carb.

CM23UOC150529 must have sold, as the CL ad is gone. It will be great if someone here got it.

unless he sold it, there is still the original TX9 TNT from @Vinny.
The "for sale" thread marks CM23U0C223008 as "sold", but that is probably due to FCBO rules and a month of no new post: this superb all-black 300 went up on Craigslist with a few new pics and a lowered $27k ask four days ago. Here are a few more pics from the ad -- @69CoronetRT and @cuda hunter , the build sheet is here:

01414_qlZRIErjs3z_0ww0oo_1200x900.jpg

00R0R_axZNVAeauUvz_0oo0ww_1200x900.jpg

00202_8ACG2vTRBxUz_0oo0ww_1200x900.jpg

I think that is the most beautiful and desirable Fuselage I have ever seen.
Post pics if you want to prove me wrong.

Wow! Cant believe I missed this! Other then a SFGT, a '70-'71 U-code Chrysler is my other holy grail C-body. I hope it went to a good home because this is a diamond in the rough!

Last edited:
All the money spent on options but got a credit for ordering bench seat!

Slide on over honey as I hit the gas around this corner!"

Having had 2 E85s and 1 E86, my assessment matches what some other folks have said - at higher RPM the E86 pulls away. And while I am not a super-tuner, I think I can say that all 3 were strong-running vs the benchmark.

Interestingly, my white Fury avatar has a 69 K-code, and when it got 2-1/2" X-pipe exhaust and Hedman shorties, it seemed stronger than my stock E86.
But when the E86 got similar exhaust (albeit with HP manifolds) the tables tipped back again.

The roof looks very suspect to me. It's rusting from the inside.

I have similar rust scale on my TX9 and the '73 NYB I scrapped. As long as it's not perforated I think it's treatable.

I don't think Rusty's talking about the green arrow, I think he's talking about what's in red. That bottom piece of trim is metal in 1970, and it's rusting away, there is material missing. The exterior of the roof looks OK due to no VT, but I'd bet that the structure under the Dutchman has rust. A 70 300 I had was OK on the outside, but the laminations of metal for the rear window channel were puckered, and the under-dutchman had some rust-thru. You couldn't see it unless you were lying on your back inside the trunk where the spare tire would be.

1663103590267.png

IMO, this was a $4-5000 car due to lots of unknowns and obviously needing lots of $$ to restore.
We cannot tell whether it has good bones, or whether it merely looks like it.

But hopefully it will survive and be in a good home. Would look striking in a dark reddish color.

Back