1970 300 'Vert power locks

C Sickness

Reaction score
I just bought a convertible, and the power locks are dead. I have the SM, so I see the buttons, solenoids, relays, and wiring. I'm trying to understand if there are mechanical rods from the inner door buttons to the latches. If I lock the driver's door from the outside with the key, the inner button doesn't move. On the passenger's door, if I turn the lock with the key to lock, the button goes down. Unlock, and the button goes up. From the inside, pushing or pulling on the buttons is just a "rubbery" feeling, and if the switches, and other parts are being held on with loose screws. No positive detent feeling for "locked" or "unlocked".

Is the driver side missing, or maybe fell off, or is the driver's side built differently, without a rod?

It looks like the "key" to waking up the whole dead system is to get power to the #14 green wire that comes off the fuse block

The driver's side "lock knob" is not connected to anything except an electrical switch. It will not move with the key. The passenger side is connected to the latch and also operates a switch. It will move a little with the key and will feel like it's not really connected until the extremes of it's travel. Driver's door can be locked and unlocked via the key. From inside the driver's door can only be locked electrically. Pass side can be locked/unlocked via key and inside knob (long travel and rubbery feeling).

The driver's side "lock knob" is not connected to anything except an electrical switch. It will not move with the key. The passenger side is connected to the latch and also operates a switch. It will move a little with the key and will feel like it's not really connected until the extremes of it's travel. Driver's door can be locked and unlocked via the key. From inside the driver's door can only be locked electrically. Pass side can be locked/unlocked via key and inside knob (long travel and rubbery feeling).

Perfect. That's what i was guessing. I was suspicious of the two sides being different, but they are.

My 69 300 vert, both doors are identical. Door knob moves switch that activates lock solenoid, that operates locks. Look at my feed on fixing them

Back