1970 Cordoba del Oro concept

Homerr

Reaction score
Someone posted this on reddit, I'll repost here for discussion. Anyone have other pictures?

42aRSoN.jpguJtY58S.jpgXZV31LV.jpgckGjQ8E.jpg2rKD3aI.jpgJMM3C7f.jpggFhRqkD.jpgXewu487.jpghCdvHWo.jpgFSIHolD.jpg

Before Chrysler made a Cordoba to suit Ricardo Montalban, the Cordoba de Oro concept in 1970 was a radical statement of the “fuselage” look then popular with cars wearing the Pentastar (and its name corrected the Dodge Deora’s bad Spanish). More than a decade after Virgil Exner’s Norseman concept went down with the Andrea Doria, Chrysler stylists working under Exner’s successor Elwood Engel reprised Exner’s cantilevered roof with minimal A pillars.

All the publicity photos of the the Cordoba de Oro seem to have been in black and white, but this snapshot taken at the 1970 Chicago auto show explains the car’s surname. The interior featured novel adjustable pedestal bucket seats developed by Allied Chemical that had an integrated lap and shoulder belt system. The seats were trimmed in gold leather to match the car’s exterior. It’s not clear if it was of the soft Corinthian type. Another safety system tested on the Cordoba de Oro was an early airbag prototype. They even worked on a demonstration-purposes-only airbag that deployed much slower than normally, but for some reason that was never shown to the public. The Cordoba de Oro did have a common concept car gizmo that’s become a common feature on today’s cars, a camera and tv monitor that replaced the Cordoba’s conventional rear view mirror.
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...ncept-and-show-cars-part-two-chrysler-to-ford
http://www.coachbuild.com/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=50&g2_itemId=43728

42aRSoN.jpg

uJtY58S.jpg

XZV31LV.jpg

ckGjQ8E.jpg

2rKD3aI.jpg

JMM3C7f.jpg

gFhRqkD.jpg

Xewu487.jpg

hCdvHWo.jpg

FSIHolD.jpg

Very kool car I'm guessing doesn't exist anymore.

Saw this at the WPC Museum with Matt a few year ago....

DSC01931.jpgDSC01929.jpgDSC01930.jpg

DSC01931.jpg

DSC01929.jpg

DSC01930.jpg

It is regrettable Chrysler choose to scrap most of those cars. What a shame. What is there like 2 or 3 left in the world now?

The Cordoba show car must've been intersting to drive at speed. The way the front end is, it looks like it would not take much speed to get that front off the ground!

Would be cool to stand next to one running see run in real life, lucky you.

It sounds like a hair dryer while idling. Jay put a bottle of water on the turbine while it was idling to show how smooth it runs. The water didn't move. If I remember correctly, he said it idles at 30,000 RPM. That was a great day. I got to see the Turbine and I won my class: 300 and 300 Letter Cars.

It sounds like a hair dryer while idling. Jay put a bottle of water on the turbine while it was idling to show how smooth it runs. The water didn't move. If I remember correctly, he said it idles at 30,000 RPM. That was a great day. I got to see the Turbine and I won my class: 300 and 300 Letter Cars.

Awesome day !! You lucky prick ........

Back