SOLD 1970 Dodge Monaco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breaker1

Reaction score
Contact seller
Sadly, it's time to sell my 1970 Dodge Monaco Brougham. It's a 4 door hardtop, 383 2bbl, 727, pwr windows & locks, air, cruise, tilt steering. Pretty loaded car. Car runs & moves but needs work. Original Montana car, spent some years in Wisconsin, and has moved with us to Tennessee. I no longer have indoor storage, it's been sitting outside since May of this year, on a slab, tarped. I have included a pic of the fender tag to show all options.
Currently located in Riceville TN. Asking $3700 obo. Thanks

IMG_20211222_171524390_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211222_171542889_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211222_171559904_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211222_171623971.jpg

IMG_20211222_171635155_MP.jpg

IMG_20211222_171709485.jpg

IMG_20211222_171613152_HDR.jpg

@Breaker1 -- thank you for listing DH43T0D182130 here.

You say the car has a 383-2: if so, then the engine is not original. Your car's fender tag shows that it came out of the factory with a 440-4 engine. Could you please clarify and, ideally, post a photo of the engine bay.

What happened to the V1G gator grain vinyl top?

May I request also photos of the usual rust areas: cowl, door jambs, lower rear quarters, trunk pan, rear extensions, stub? As for the interior, pics of the rear bench, headliner, and door panels would help.

Thank you!

PS: the outside mirror is from a 1971+ car, can you tell us why the mirror is not original?

Hello ayilar. Thank you for your response. Yes, I will verify tomorrow along with the pics you requested. I'm new here & didn't know how many pics they would allow me to post. I bought this car many years ago, it was put on the back burner in storage and I never took the time to dig into it. I will tomorrow. Thanks again.

Hello ayilar. Thank you for your response. Yes, I will verify tomorrow along with the pics you requested. I'm new here & didn't know how many pics they would allow me to post. I bought this car many years ago, it was put on the back burner in storage and I never took the time to dig into it. I will tomorrow. Thanks again.

Did you buy this car from a guy near Beaver Dam/Fox Lake WI.? If I remember the story he pulled the motor when the car was in Wyoming? and put the 383 in it for better gas mileage. I sold him my 1980 two tone blue Chrysler Cordoba and the man lived in a mobile home on Hwy. 33.

Nice looking car!
On the engine, does the fender tag match the VIN?
Radiator Support panels are bolt in, so they can be swapped.

Wow Pete Kaczmarski, you are good! I don't see anything getting past you! This is that car bought from that guy. But I believe it was Montana, not Wyoming. I remember him being from Montana because he used to go elk hunting there when he lived there. After they moved to Wisconsin he & his family would take the Monaco back there every year elk hunting. He showed me a pic of a 700 pound elk in the trunk, hauled it all the way back to Wi. He installed a set of load springs and air shocks in the rear for that reason. Now that's a grocery getter.

Thanks 1970 FuryConv. I will be adding more info & pics after the sun comes up tomorrow.

Vinyl roof probably was eaten by "the weather", I suspect. An AutoTemp car? AM radio w/rear speaker?

Definitely "a save" car!

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Yes, I agree. Vinyl top was gone before I bought it. We are moving to a new house in a couple of weeks where we have no room for it. Trying hard to sell it before that. If it doesn't sell, I will try to find a place to put it until we get settled. I would love to get it road worthy again. The kids are begging me to keep it.

Short answer, not anymore: the MyMopar.com page is now behind a pay wall. But, happy to help -- I have included links for your perusal on dealer info re: various packages. Enjoy!

DH: Dodge Monaco ("High")
43: 4 Door Hardtop

T: 440 350HP 4BBL 8 CYL
0: 1970
D: Belvidere, IL, USA

182130: Sequence number

E85: 440-4 350HP 8 Cylinder engine
D32: Heavy Duty Automatic Transmission

BL1: Beige Exterior Color (Dodge speak; = Sandalwood at Chrysler dealers)
H7F8: Trim - High, Green Cloth & Vinyl 50-50 Split Bench Seats with Individual Armrests
EF8: Dark Green Int. Door Frames

C29: Scheduled Build Date: December 29, 1969 (she'll be 52 in less than a week!)
071195: Order number

V1G: Full Vinyl Top, Gator Grain

A01: Light Package
A04: Dodge Radio Group (lots of non-radio goodies included, too)
A35: Trailer-Towing Package (which makes your car really great, especially if you could get back the original 440)
A76: Brougham Package

C51: Bench Seat-Split 50/50 with Individual Armrests

F13: 60-amp Alternator ( DH43L0D181923 has a similar stamp on her fender tag)

G11: Tinted Glass (All Windows)
H53: Automatic Air Conditioning (AutoTemp)

L31: Hood/Fender Mounted Turn Signals
L35: Cornering Lamps

M31: Belt Moldings
M85: Front & Rear Bumper Guards

N88: Auto Speed Control

P31: Power Windows
P45: Power Deck Lid Release
R22: AM Radio with 8 Track (10 Watts)

S62: Tilt Steering Column

V01: Mono Tone Paint Treatment

Y05: Build to USA Specs

26: 26in Radiator

Merry Christmas!

Last edited:
Thank you ayilar! That was a nice Christmas gift! I really appreciate it.
Question: what are the (L35) cornering lamps, and what is the (V5X) body side stripes black? Is that a pinstripe? Thanks again!!

Thank you ayilar! That was a nice Christmas gift! I really appreciate it.
Question: what are the (L35) cornering lamps, and what is the (V5X) body side stripes black? Is that a pinstripe? Thanks again!!
You are most welcome.

V5X (X for black, V5 for side moulding vinyl inserts) is not on your tag and I have removed it. Copy/paste gone bad, sorry :rolleyes:

The L35 cornering lamps can be seen in the moulding between the front bumper and from wheel opening: they light up when you turn the steering wheel in one direction. Great option IMHO.

Nicely loaded. Wonder if the original 440 is sitting on a pallet somewhere tucked away in the barn?

That makes sense. The V5X must be part of the lower trim package. My dad's '70 Polara had that spear down the side in vinyl.
The L35 lights are cool, I never really paid attention to their function.
If I can't get it sold soon, I do have a 1970 440 I could put in it but it's a six pack motor. I'm selling my other toys so if this ends up being the only one left, I might just drop it in. Who knows.

I wouldn't know how to track down the original motor. It would be a stretch. The guy I bought the car from passed away years ago. I do know his cousin, so maybe.

Tried to get some pics of the undercarriage; rear frame rails, trunk extensions, torsion bar area. The sun affected some pics, sorry. If anyone needs any specific pics of anything, let me know.

IMG_20211223_161843069.jpg

IMG_20211223_161832099.jpg

IMG_20211223_162033376.jpg

IMG_20211223_162107192.jpg

IMG_20211223_162304123.jpg

IMG_20211223_162140397.jpg

IMG_20211223_162323148.jpg

Cornering lights come on just before the turn signal switch "locks in" upon application. On my DH43N0D, I learned that I could move the lever just a bit before it engages and the cornering light would activate without the turn signal working. Pretty neat, I thought!

There is only one Monaco moulding, which is the one on the car. Polaras had the single molding higher up on the body, which usually had a vinyl insert in it. n AFAIK

The pin stripe is just below the "peak" on the body side, runs from the front fender to the rear quarter panel extension (where the back-up lights are housed). It might have eroded/worn off with time. It is a painted pin strike, double-stripe in configuration.

What is the large, round "medallion" on the lh rr door panel?

The car has potential, even with a 383.

Happy Holidays!
CBODY67

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back