1970 Fury Convertible

I can finally say the magic words.

"Sorry. That's before my time".
4.gif

How Many

I had seen that one. I haven't decided on wheels or hub caps. Really. Like chrome reversed with moon face caps. How many of these things still are around?

The Standard Catalog of Chrysler 1924-1990 (page 411) states that 1952 of the 1970 Fury III convertibles were produced. Sport Fury convertible production ended in 1969, so 1952 is the total Fury convertible production for 1970. As to how many are left, Galen Govier in his Chrysler Corporation Production Option Code Book 1969-1971 (page 71)specs: "how may are left? 30% is the average survival rate." By his spec: there should be less than 600 left. However, his spec includes A,B, and E bodies. Because ill-informed people do not consider c-bodies as collectable/valuable, the number could be even less.

The Standard Catalog of Chrysler 1924-1990 (page 411) states that 1952 of the 1970 Fury III convertibles were produced. Sport Fury convertible production ended in 1969, so 1952 is the total Fury convertible production for 1970. As to how many are left, Galen Govier in his Chrysler Corporation Production Option Code Book 1969-1971 (page 71)specs: "how may are left? 30% is the average survival rate." By his spec: there should be less than 600 left. However, his spec includes A,B, and E bodies. Because ill-informed people do not consider c-bodies as collectable/valuable, the number could be even less.

the c body is definitely less sought after. It's amazing the number of b body guys talk about how heavy the car is. Kinds fun to prove to them it's only 200lbs heavier than a roadrunner vert.
I can account for of the 70 fury verts.

Hello, I also have a 70 convertible and am trying to install a 1970 sport fury grill. I think I may be missing some parts, but did not take the grill out of the original car so do not know exactly how it was installed. Can anyone offer some help or pictures of how the sport grill installed that I could use for reference? any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks Jay

I installed mine as an assembly with the front bumper. 3 wires from the underdash relay to the motor: one for open, one for closed, and one for ground. Don't worry about any other wiring downstream from the relay. All your current bumper brackets are interchangeable with the Sport Fury set up. The headlight mounts are different, but not by that much. You may be able to get your original mounts to work, just manually check clearance.

If you haven't got a 1970 Factory Shop Manual yet, I highly recommend buying one on ebay for understanding the underdash wiring. If you need more pictures just ask.

Grills 5.jpgGrills 2.jpg

Grills 5.jpg

Grills 2.jpg

View attachment 36312View attachment 36313

I live in Richmond, VA area. I have owned this fury 3 convertible since October of last year. Was originally a green/green 318/904 4 wheel drum car. Someone painted it white, which is my favorite color for convertibles. I have since converted the interior to white, except dash. I have converted to front disc 1969-72 type. I converted to Sport Fury Grill. Plans are for 440/727 8 3/4 conversion later. Other than a carb rebuild and some overheating problems that were corrected with a fan spacer and factory shroud, the car has been a blast to drive. Thanks for having me onsite. Ben[/ATTACH]

Good morning! My 1970 Polara 'vert, which is based about two hours away from you, tends to run hot in slow traffic. I was thinking of adding a shroud, something @71Polara383 suggested to me yesterday at Carlisle.

--> Would you be so kind as to share your solution? Thanks a lot in advance for any pictures, and for information on where you sourced the parts!

Last edited:
Welcome! My first vert was a '70 Fury. If she had been as nice as yours, I would have kept her...

Uh oh. What happened to the car?

Hello, I also have a 70 convertible

Guys, do you have pics of your cars' fender tags, and might you be willing to contribute them to the "Last of the Convertibles" registry?

Last edited:
Good morning! My 1970 Polara 'vert, which is based about two hours away from you, tends to run hot in slow traffic. I was thinking of adding a shroud, something @71Polara383 suggested to me yesterday at Carlisle.

--> Would you be so kind as to share your solution? Thanks a lot in advance for any pictures, and for information on where you sourced the parts!
Fan Shroud: I got the factory shroud off a parts car that I no longer have
Fan Spacer: used 2" fan spacer with stock water pump and fan, spacing 2.5 inches from rear of radiator.
My Error: car was originally alpine white paint, green interior
318 Fan 2 inch Spacer & Shroud 1.JPG

20140414 Fury Conv Photo 10 Avatar.JPG

Thanks for the rapid response!

I thought the 318 did not come with a shroud -- am I off-base? If I am, then I'll look for the right part number. If not, then what year was the parts car?

Thanks for the rapid response!

I thought the 318 did not come with a shroud -- am I off-base? If I am, then I'll look for the right part number. If not, then what year was the parts car?
I think you are right but I also added a shroud from an A Body. Still likes to get hot in stop and go summer traffic but now much better.

Thanks again. Well now Poppy sports a 6-blade fan with a shroud. Looks factory even though the 318s did not come that way. Will report on improvements once the heat wave if gone from the Eastern half of the country and I feel like driving the car.

Back