1970 Fury I stripper!

In this mess somewhere is supposed to be a good slant 6 core. They think. Maybe.

D2C90867-E14A-40F2-BC59-3B951956952D.jpeg

That crack t'ain't the end of the world. It could potentially be welded or pinned. Finding a welder who knows how to weld cast iron though....in 2022....that's the tuff part.

That crack t'ain't the end of the world. It could potentially be welded or pinned. Finding a welder who knows how to weld cast iron though....in 2022....that's the tuff part.
We are thinking that it’s a factory bad casting. It would explain the sludge that was in the oil pan and the rust in the rocker area, low mileage on the car, the replacement radiator, water pump. It might have started leaking right after the warranty was up, then they tried various stop leak, head gaskets, etc, until ultimately giving up, and parking it. It’s definitely a mysterious thing.

the mystery of the nastiness of that low mileage engine is finally starting to be solved, Colombo!!

the mystery of the nastiness of that low mileage engine is finally starting to be solved, Colombo!!
I’ve said it many times when I see a car, motorcycle or whatever with low miles. “They couldn’t keep it running long enough to put any miles on it.” I think that’s the case with this one.

I’ve taken the junkyard block to the machine shop. They will be checking it out next week. Just a heads up that rarely applies to the C-body crowd…
Slant 6 stuff is not as readily available as V8 stuff. Not to mention there’s a few different varieties. Steel crank, cast crank, solid lift, hydraulic, even oil pans and pump pickup tubes come in different varieties! I’m sorting through it all and will provide updates as I can.

Very interesting. I have a 71 exactly like yours. I decided to pull the engine to do a major engine bay detail and freshen up the engine. I lost interest and once the car is back together it's going to a guy in Florida who bought it from me.

Very interesting. I have a 71 exactly like yours. I decided to pull the engine to do a major engine bay detail and freshen up the engine. I lost interest and once the car is back together it's going to a guy in Florida who bought it from me.
Looks like the colors are inverted between them.
I’ve never driven mine but, I’d say it’s a workout. Especially for those used to driving today’s cars.

Eagle-eyed members might have noticed from the interior pics that this is indeed a 3 on the tree car. I didn’t call it a stripper for nothing! Under the hood is a Slant 6. Manual brakes, manual steering. Currently no brakes! Also the engine is locked up tight. It has a 8.75” rear axle though.

View attachment 566732

View attachment 566733
I was thinking it would have the new-for-'69 8-1/4 rear end. When was the first year, if ever, was the 8.25 used in C-bodies?

I was thinking it would have the new-for-'69 8-1/4 rear end. When was the first year, if ever, was the 8.25 used in C-bodies?
They definitely used them in C-bodies in ‘72, not sure when they started. In my experience they weren’t near as robust as they needed to be for use in heavy cars with V8’s

I’m still loving this color combo and the condition of this car. Not the best for sure but pretty good for original these days.

CCBFAAF9-F198-49E2-A675-F25EDED8EF35.jpeg

9D55CD5F-7C2E-46ED-AFFE-2B831CD9F8EC.jpeg

Back