1970 Fury/Sport Fury front bumper removal

70Tom

Reaction score
After spending much of the afternoon swearing and the service manual not helping a heck of a lot, I figure it's just best to ask. Rear bumper was easy. Front, not so much.

If anyone has any pointers/tips in how to get the front bumper removed without taking apart light assemblies, and everything else up there, please let me know. I think my issue at the moment is maybe the outer support or even the inner brace. Problem is accessibility to some of this stuff.

Here's the factory diagram:
1970_Plymouth_Service_Manual 1070.jpg

just take it all apart....will give you good access to everything else re touching up and cleaning up...not as bad as it looks...is good practice and youll be happy you delt with it...label everything

Disconnect all the wiring and unbolt the braces from the frame. The bumper is heavy though. Best to have a helper to hold it while the last couple bolts are taken out.

IMHO, it's easier to take the grille and light assemblies out while the bumper is still in the car, but much easier to unbolt the braces from the bumper with it out.

bottom line is easyer to get at bumper without grill and lights in...just went through it

Well, removal it is then. I mainly was hoping to not remove the front bumper because it's fairly dented in and I'm guessing it's going to need replacement. I need to get the rear bumper re-chromed first as it's flaking and rusty. Essentially, like everything, it comes down to $. Or lack thereof.

just leave front grille and bumper in place till you find another bumper then you can still move vehicle around if ya need to...if bumpers bent you may need to look at brackets as well...

er...what are ya after in there anyway?...just bumper removal?...as stated earlier is easyer to deal with without grill ect in there...

I'm painting the vehicle and those fender extension pieces are a b*tch to get out with the bumper in place. However, I did get the driver's side out without removal. I just removed the bolts from the big bracket and a few others and it allowed me to pry it far enough forward that I could get it out.

However, even if it works for the passenger side, I'm a little worried about reinstalling them once everything is nice and painted. Seems like a potential recipe for disaster.

if your going through that much trouble would just remove bumper ect and detail front and do up a nice proper job of everything.......

Critter is right that it will be easier to remove the bumper with the lights and grille out. If nothing else, it's lighter.

Are you trying to remove the bumper from the brackets? In other words, are you trying to unbolt the chrome bumper bolts? That would be hard to do on the car.

If it's like my Chrysler, there should be a couple bolts that hold the bracket to the each side of stub frame and a couple more that hold the bracket to the front of the stub frame. 8 bolts all together and the bumper should come off easy.

BTW, those chrome (actually stainless capped) bumper bolts can be hard to come by.

Back