For Sale 1970 Plymouth Fury III Convertible 440 AC

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_1369.JPG

I don't include the For Sale forum in my watched forum list so I didn't notice this car until Peter quoted me from another thread.
Boy, trying to sell something on this forum is a little like jumping into a snaked pit! Now you know why I don't look at the ads. :p
Anyhow, the VIN number is correct for a "T" code 440 '70 Fury III convertible and it is one of 8 that I know of. I have been searching for the last 21 years and until now have only found 7 cars.
The car appears to have lived an interesting life. The interior is trash, the radio cut into the center of the dash is "creative" to say the least. The repaint makes you wonder why it was painted and what is hiding under the new paint. Is the car numbers matching, ie both the engine and transmission both should be stamped with VIN codes. It looks to be in sad condition.
What's it worth?
Well it depends on what the buyer has in mind. If its a quick fix and drive it, maybe $100. One of the posts suggested a couple of weekends would get it on the road, well I seriously doubt that.
If however, the buyer has a hot desire to own a rare 440 convertible and is willing do a proper restore, then the asking price is pretty fair. After all, if you are willing to lay $50K on the table for your dream 440 convertible, you aren't going to argue over a couple grand to obtain the VIN coded body, engine and transmission.
Good luck with the sale. Hopefully the new owner will contact me directly and I'll add the car to my web site listing along with the other 7 "T" codes.
:thumbsup:

I don't include the For Sale forum in my watched forum list so I didn't notice this car until Peter quoted me from another thread.
Boy, trying to sell something on this forum is a little like jumping into a snaked pit! Now you know why I don't look at the ads. :p
Anyhow, the VIN number is correct for a "T" code 440 '70 Fury III convertible and it is one of 8 that I know of. I have been searching for the last 21 years and until now have only found 7 cars.
The car appears to have lived an interesting life. The interior is trash, the radio cut into the center of the dash is "creative" to say the least. The repaint makes you wonder why it was painted and what is hiding under the new paint. Is the car numbers matching, ie both the engine and transmission both should be stamped with VIN codes. It looks to be in sad condition.
What's it worth?
Well it depends on what the buyer has in mind. If its a quick fix and drive it, maybe $100. One of the posts suggested a couple of weekends would get it on the road, well I seriously doubt that.
If however, the buyer has a hot desire to own a rare 440 convertible and is willing do a proper restore, then the asking price is pretty fair. After all, if you are willing to lay $50K on the table for your dream 440 convertible, you aren't going to argue over a couple grand to obtain the VIN coded body, engine and transmission.
Good luck with the sale. Hopefully the new owner will contact me directly and I'll add the car to my web site listing along with the other 7 "T" codes.
:thumbsup:
Thanks for the input. I have accurately described the car in another post and you are right about a snake pit. Anyone who questioned my information can now relax. I would disagree with one statement. I could have this car ready to rock in a few weekends easily. That is a fact. I would also like to buy the other $100 440 verts you mentioned. Not everyone wants a complete restoration. I would price that at 6-12k my cost. If I wanted to just drive it, maybe 1200 dollars. I would drop the top and weld in some patches, tires, brakes, fluids, tune up and a 1/2 gallon of simple green. Boom. Cruising. Thanks for your input

largestar, you have to lighten up, and stop taking everything so personally; after all aren't you from the "show Me" State?

hi all, with Brother Gary's help, I'm glad to say I was able to get one of these. I do like mine, though I have to admit hearing the original color on this one made my ears perk up. A few of you know of my, uh, (I think obsession is too strong, or not) with R6 convertibles. that said, I'm happy to have my Green on green 440 Fury. I do also hope this one gets saved, no matter how many they made, I think we can all agree it was a small percentage, of an already small percentage of "any" 1970 Fury Converts. whomever gets her, keep us updated. Love to hear how she comes together. Dale

Gary and Dale's Big Adventure

Last edited:
I'm always fascinated by the "rarity" index imposed on old Chryslers. Many were made, few were saved, and this one I would consider definitely difficult to find and worth saving, but I'd have to echo Dave's comment, "why, just because it has a 440?". That made me chuckle and think again. There are dozens of '69-'70 Chrysler 300 verts for sale at any given time, at all price points and in various stages of condition, and ALL of them have a 440. To all of you obsessed with a particular model, style, engine, color, etc, all the power to you (LOL, I'm think of you Dale), but for me that's where the grief and aggravation reside. This one is an opportunity, and when opportunity knocks, don't complain about the noise!

I'm always fascinated by the "rarity" index imposed on old Chryslers. Many were made, few were saved, and this one I would consider definitely difficult to find and worth saving, but I'd have to echo Dave's comment, "why, just because it has a 440?". That made me chuckle and think again. There are dozens of '69-'70 Chrysler 300 verts for sale at any given time, at all price points and in various stages of condition, and ALL of them have a 440. To all of you obsessed with a particular model, style, engine, color, etc, all the power to you (LOL, I'm think of you Dale), but for me that's where the grief and aggravation reside. This one is an opportunity, and when opportunity knocks, don't complain about the noise!
hey there, thanks for the comments, but I don't understand the grief and the aggravation part (just asking) To me, it's interesting when one finds a Mopar that they (by simply looking at numbers) they made fewer of. Doesn't take anything away from a 318 Fury at all, which in and of itself is rare as well, but I don't see why it bugs some people when others draw attention to one that "survived" of which they didn't make many of, to me it's just interesting. Again, sorry if I'm reading your message wrong, just trying to clarify it. thanks.
Dale

guess i am more in the mind that rarity" as a desirable thing.

Whether "rare" equals "high value" is always a debate in a commercial transaction, I just like rarity in combination with age (houses, cars, bikes, trains, planes .. whatever) for its own sake.

I like to see old vehicles preserved, no matter how many were made. I applaud that known/unknown string of owners who were able to do that for things I would like to see survive.

But I tend to own things for which FEWER we made and even LESS remain. Just a personal preference and with no dissing of OTHER well-preserved specimens of similar vintage per what I said above.

I am old and just learned 70 Fury verts with 440's are "rare". If its one of eight, or 30, or 1,000 is worth knowing -- to ME. That makes me give this one a second look just for that reason. And I feel smarter and more on top of my hobby because I know that now. :)

Again, I hope it gets back on the road and lives on another 47 years.

Just to help clear up some confusion, according to the Hamtramck Registry, the vinyl bench seat with fold down center arm rest coded M4XA is black and charcoal:

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/colorAndTrim/1970/70_Fury0014.jpg

The body color is ER6 which is Scorch Red:

The 1970 Hamtramck Registry - 1970 Paint Chip Charts Slideshow

TX9 is the interior color given its location on the body code plate, in this case black:

MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - 1969-1974 Mopar Fender Tag Decoder

On closer look I see the R6 red paint code. Thanks. I'm not sure what would look best, red or black. But if restored, red would be the best choice on a rare car like this.

hey there, thanks for the comments, but I don't understand the grief and the aggravation part (just asking) To me, it's interesting when one finds a Mopar that they (by simply looking at numbers) they made fewer of. Doesn't take anything away from a 318 Fury at all, which in and of itself is rare as well, but I don't see why it bugs some people when others draw attention to one that "survived" of which they didn't make many of, to me it's just interesting. Again, sorry if I'm reading your message wrong, just trying to clarify it. thanks.
Dale
Sorry, Dale, I was just poking fun, and I thought of your search for the 1969 300, 440 TNT, red with white interior. :poke:

I don't have a problem with people searching out "rare" variations of a car, I just don't think there is a real definition or "Rarity Index" for our C bodies. (I'll make an exception to that rule for the Hurst vert, and the 440-6 SFGT, those really are in a class by themselves.)

My point is, a 440 C body vert is not rare or scarce or even in some cases desirable (think triple green 1970 300), until you start adding up options, and then where do you stop? Every one out there is a 1 of 1. When we start quoting numbers, we start sounding like the E body crowd, and I got out of that game years ago.

:soapbox::thankyou:

Sorry, Dale, I was just poking fun, and I thought of your search for the 1969 300, 440 TNT, red with white interior. :poke:

I don't have a problem with people searching out "rare" variations of a car, I just don't think there is a real definition or "Rarity Index" for our C bodies. (I'll make an exception to that rule for the Hurst vert, and the 440-6 SFGT, those really are in a class by themselves.)

My point is, a 440 C body vert is not rare or scarce or even in some cases desirable (think triple green 1970 300), until you start adding up options, and then where do you stop? Every one out there is a 1 of 1. When we start quoting numbers, we start sounding like the E body crowd, and I got out of that game years ago.

:soapbox::thankyou:
yeah, agreed it can be overdone, thanks for clarifying.....

This whole "rarity" discussion is a little silly when you really look at it. Who cares, other than maybe you, if you own something that is considered to be rare? The only time "rare" becomes of interest is when you set your selling price on something very hard to find and there are people with deep pockets willing to pay your inflated price. However, without a deep pocket banging on your door, "rare" plus $2 will buy you a coffee! Maybe it's a "King of the mountain" thing and "I've got something you don't". Whatever the motivation, all rare does is artificially inflate the value.:realcrazy:

My convertible cost a freaking fortune to restore and while I think it's neat that it's rare, that had zero impact upon my decision to restore it. My motivation was and remains nostalgia. I custom ordered the car and over the years brought all my kids home from the hospital in that car. It's my own personal time machine. It will never be for sale while I'm alive so who really cares what it cost or what it is worth. :rolleyes:

Truth be known, I didn't know much about the car until around 1996 when I started to get serious about restoring it. First thing I had to learn was, Mopar had "bodies" and the Fury was a "C". The second discovery was convertibles were few and far between and those with 440's almost non-existent. My third discovery, C-body people tend to trash everything they see offered for sale while considering anything they personally offer for sale to be "rare" and "valuable". "Buy low and sell high" is alive and well in this hobby.:poke:

Buying all the parts needed for the restoration was "interesting" and there were a few "don't worry about it, it's only money" discussions with my wife.

Enough about my car, back to the newly discovered 1 of 8 and the determination of worth. My earlier post divided the buyer pool into two groups, those with deep pockets willing to buy what they want and those whose pockets are either close to empty or have been sewn shut by their spouse. The deep pocket crowd are collectors and we all know they will spend to get what they want. Dan, out on the west coast, has pretty well cornered the "V" code Fury market and he prices his cars for the serious collector. When one of his "for sale" ads hits the FCBO the screams are epic, but Dan is in no hurry and eventually he will get his asking price. In this case the owner discloses the car must be moved, so there is an implied time constraint forces the price down as the dead line approaches.

I say to the seller, think about all this. If you really believe he car is valuable, price it higher and put it in storage while you find a buyer. If not, better unload it before the city tows it and charges you a bunch of cash you'll never see again. Realize that a very nicely restored '70 Fury convertible with a 318 or 383 can be had for $20K.
:drama:

Just think, the 440 production numbers are higher compared to that of 383-4 cars

This whole "rarity" discussion is a little silly when you really look at it. Who cares, other than maybe you, if you own something that is considered to be rare? The only time "rare" becomes of interest is when you set your selling price on something very hard to find and there are people with deep pockets willing to pay your inflated price. However, without a deep pocket banging on your door, "rare" plus $2 will buy you a coffee! Maybe it's a "King of the mountain" thing and "I've got something you don't". Whatever the motivation, all rare does is artificially inflate the value.:realcrazy:

My convertible cost a freaking fortune to restore and while I think it's neat that it's rare, that had zero impact upon my decision to restore it. My motivation was and remains nostalgia. I custom ordered the car and over the years brought all my kids home from the hospital in that car. It's my own personal time machine. It will never be for sale while I'm alive so who really cares what it cost or what it is worth. :rolleyes:

Truth be known, I didn't know much about the car until around 1996 when I started to get serious about restoring it. First thing I had to learn was, Mopar had "bodies" and the Fury was a "C". The second discovery was convertibles were few and far between and those with 440's almost non-existent. My third discovery, C-body people tend to trash everything they see offered for sale while considering anything they personally offer for sale to be "rare" and "valuable". "Buy low and sell high" is alive and well in this hobby.:poke:

Buying all the parts needed for the restoration was "interesting" and there were a few "don't worry about it, it's only money" discussions with my wife.

Enough about my car, back to the newly discovered 1 of 8 and the determination of worth. My earlier post divided the buyer pool into two groups, those with deep pockets willing to buy what they want and those whose pockets are either close to empty or have been sewn shut by their spouse. The deep pocket crowd are collectors and we all know they will spend to get what they want. Dan, out on the west coast, has pretty well cornered the "V" code Fury market and he prices his cars for the serious collector. When one of his "for sale" ads hits the FCBO the screams are epic, but Dan is in no hurry and eventually he will get his asking price. In this case the owner discloses the car must be moved, so there is an implied time constraint forces the price down as the dead line approaches.

I say to the seller, think about all this. If you really believe he car is valuable, price it higher and put it in storage while you find a buyer. If not, better unload it before the city tows it and charges you a bunch of cash you'll never see again. Realize that a very nicely restored '70 Fury convertible with a 318 or 383 can be had for $20K.
:drama:
hey Bill,

i think i get what you are saying, but to flip it over, (for some) "why not" care? I'm in to other things like old advertising. If i would happen to lucky enough to find a sign I know that there are not many of because people that have been collecting them, well that's kind of a "rush" to some collectors. That said, I like all signs, rare or otherwise, but not sure why it has to be one way or the other. As an example, did you read this recent story?

Second copy of Declaration of Independence discovered - CNN.com

that's interesting to me that there is actually another one, and it survived, hidden all those years. Of course we can't all afford to buy it, but to me it's interesting, and a part of history. so again, why not enjoy the rare stuff and the not so rare stuff, but concede that it's kind of an "extra buzz" for collectors when something "less seen or known to exist" comes along?

I understand what you are saying, where we differ is how we look upon rare stuff. Sounds like you have an interest in "owning" pieces of history, whereas I'm more an admirer and believe history should be properly preserved and protected in museums for all to enjoy. My car, with it's personal history remains a possession, but will probably end up in the Car Museum at Heritage Park here in Calgary.

I understand what you are saying, where we differ is how we look upon rare stuff. Sounds like you have an interest in "owning" pieces of history, whereas I'm more an admirer and believe history should be properly preserved and protected in museums for all to enjoy. My car, with it's personal history remains a possession, but will probably end up in the Car Museum at Heritage Park here in Calgary.
i dont have a problem with museums either, but owning something is nice too, again, why can't it be both?

huh? please clarify

The 383-4 wasn't as popular in the C bodies as the 440. People often leap frogged over the 4 barrel version of the 383 and went right to the 440.
Example : 79 440 1970 polara convertibles were built while 19 were built with the 383-4.
It's not about the rarity as much as the 440. If it was all about rare guys would be hunting down the elusive slant 6 C.

The 383-4 wasn't as popular in the C bodies as the 440. People often leap frogged over the 4 barrel version of the 383 and went right to the 440.
Example : 79 440 1970 polara convertibles were built while 19 were built with the 383-4.
It's not about the rarity as much as the 440. If it was all about rare guys would be hunting down the elusive slant 6 C.
ok, interesting. so, if you were to guess, how would the numbers stack up on original equipped 383-4 70 fury converts vs. 440 70 fury converts? sorry, had to ask....thanks.

i dont have a problem with museums either, but owning something is nice too, again, why can't it be both?
No reason provided you are willing to preserve and protect. Unfortunately, far too many "rare" items end up sitting in a corner slowly turning into dust. Take a walk through any salvage yard that has "Not for sale, I'm going to restore it" stock hidden in the back. Unfortunately, most turns to rust and is gone forever.
In the end, it's your coin and only you can decide what you use it for. As my Dad always said, "There are no pockets in a shroud so you can't take it with you". I'm following that credo and you know, it's fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back