1970 Plymouth Sport Fury V10 Swap Build Thread

As the V-10 has some roots in LA architecture, how are the side mounts in comparison to the B/RB or LA engines' mounting lugs? Might LA items fit the front of a V-10 block?

Just curious,
CBODY67

No the V10 mounts are bolted on flat to the block and are almost in the center. I will post pics when I get to fabricating them.

Awesome idea!
Can't wait to see more pics and learn something!

Since a 225 was available (six cylinders), I figured the five-on-each-side of the V-10 would be an advantage. But that intake and the water pump sure stick out there, don't they? It looks like you'll have the room, though. I wonder if there have been any other truck V-10 swaps done into other C-bodies out there??

There are a few V10 viper motors that have gone into Ebodies. All required modifying the trans tunnel. I'm curious if this Fury is going to have to have the tunnel modified.

There are a few V10 viper motors that have gone into Ebodies. All required modifying the trans tunnel. I'm curious if this Fury is going to have to have the tunnel modified.

Viper V-10s, yes. Only things they have in common with a V-10 truck block is displacement and overall size, that's it.

Yes I have seen pics of one C-body with a Viper engine and I heard about a Chrysler 300 with a V10 Ram engine but never seen it. I will be running the 47RE that was in the truck. I will be rebuiling it. Cool thing about the 47RE is it was the same auto behind the cummins so the diesel guys have upgrades to handle tons of torque.

I put a 518 OD trans behind a 440 using an ultra bell is a B-body once and had to cut the tunnel and modify the cross member on the body side to make it fit. It was alt of work but ended up with a 3:91 geared car that could cruise the hwy at 70 only turning 2200 RPM with OD on and lock up converter.

With the Fury I will have to modify the bolt it part of the trans mount and I may have to just dimple the tunnel in a few spots but I don't think I will have to cut it.

Only drawback on the truck motor is the cam and crank sensors are .no.longer available from anyone. Could be an issue.

Only drawback on the truck motor is the cam and crank sensors are .no.longer available from anyone. Could be an issue.

Depends on the year of the engine. 1996 and older are the problem years, and it's just the crank sensor that's an issue. I bet you could find something that would work. There's not a whole lot to those sensors. Usually just a magnetic pickup.

Jeff

Viper V-10s, yes. Only things they have in common with a V-10 truck block is displacement and overall size, that's it.

I have done a bunch of research on this issue and yes the Viper vs Ram V10's are lot different but do have some similarities. The Ram V10 also has some shared components with the 5.9L Ram. The V10 also has some similarities to the B/RB blocks.

The V10 Ram block is cast iron and has a 9.68 deck height. It shares the same bore as the 5.9 and the first gen viper. It shares the same deep skirt block design as B/RB big blocks. The head bolt pattern is the same as the first gen Viper however the coolant passages are different also the deck height of the Viper block is lower.
The stroke of the V10 Ram and Viper is 3.88 the stroke of the 5.9 is 3.58 however the rod length is the same between the V10 Ram and 5.9 and the viper rods are shorter due to the lower deck height. Even though the V10 Ram and 5.9 have different stroke they use the same rods and pistons because the V10 has a higher deck height than the 5.9.
Another difference I found between the Viper and Ram V10 is the cam bearings on the Ram are stepped down and the viper are all the same size so a viper cam shaft will not work in the Ram.
What I have figured out is you can build a higher performance V10 Ram using after market rods and pistons designed for the 5.9. You can use 1st gen viper heads if you seal the stock cooling ports and drill new ones that match the Ram block. You can also use a 1st gen viper intake or SRT10 intake with the viper heads but you need a spacer plate between the intake and heads because the V10 Ram deck height is higher than the viper. Similar to using a B block intake on an RB block. You can still get better cam shafts for the Ram V10 or even have a custom one ground. This is what I plan to do when I build the new engine next winter.

These are the viper heads and I’m pointing out the coolant passages that need to be plugged then new passages drilled next to the head bolt holes to match the block.

3F5B4F5C-7515-4453-B235-A84D1110DD7B.jpeg

Here is a picture of what the viper/Ram comb engine will look like with a SRT10 intake.
FYI I don’t have viper valve covers yet so I put the truck ones on to give it a more complete look. The value covers cost almost as much as the heads on feebay. Lol

0EFDEE4D-5C88-438B-8236-9CC010C7BA67.jpeg

B5422B7B-5A1E-47DA-A50D-D1E01B8103BE.jpeg

I did get the engine set back as far as I can and it clears the radiator but it looks like I will have to run electronic fans. Maybe have to mount them in front of the radiator.

4A64EDA6-74F3-4AD9-B9F5-7998B6DFD444.jpeg

Back