1970 Plymouth Sport Fury V10 Swap Build Thread

What pick up did you use ?..Fab ?

I had to fabricate one. I used part of the v10 one and part of the 383 one. I did it while I was making the pan so I could make sure it was pulling from the bottom of the pan.

Yes sorry I have not posted lately.

I finished the trans mount and got the engine bolted in.

57CB561C-ADEA-49AF-B115-493DE05CA929.jpeg

DF17A9DA-E6CB-490F-A8E0-262B4323BBDB.jpeg

078BA061-FFC0-4FFD-AFD6-F9DFB6FDAC33.jpeg

How do/ did you go about wiring the dash to have gauges?
Hi Ryan

I just started researching gauges. I will post when I figure out what I'm going to do. I think for now I'm going to hook up the gauges out of the Dodge truck just so I have tach, temp, oil pressure. I don't know if I could make a stock Dodge Ram cluster look good in the Fury dash but I'm going to play with it.

My stock panel looks similar to this.
upload_2021-8-9_13-47-23.png

and the stock Ram looks like this.
upload_2021-8-9_13-56-39.png

upload_2021-8-9_13-59-18.png

I could probably make it work if I made a totally new bezel.

I had to fabricate one. I used part of the v10 one and part of the 383 one. I did it while I was making the pan so I could make sure it was pulling from the bottom of the pan.
I seen where a guy put a V10 n trans out of a ford super duty into a P71 C.V and he had to use a "tone ring ????" attached to one of the rear wheels to tell ecu speed and other info it needed for shifting...will you have to do the same ?

If I use the stock gauges no problem. Most after market gauges will work with standard vss. The issue I have is the tack signal comes from the pcm so that might be more of an issue than the speedo.

Hi Ryan

I just started researching gauges. I will post when I figure out what I'm going to do. I think for now I'm going to hook up the gauges out of the Dodge truck just so I have tach, temp, oil pressure. I don't know if I could make a stock Dodge Ram cluster look good in the Fury dash but I'm going to play with it.

My stock panel looks similar to this.
View attachment 480112

and the stock Ram looks like this.
View attachment 480115
View attachment 480116

I could probably make it work if I made a totally new bezel.
That looks like a good way to go but I believe the dodge trucks have a speed sensor on top of the rear axle pinion

I’m working on this 67 Plymouth. That I will be putting a 94 Ram 8.0L into. Currently working on putting a fuel tank into to run the original dodge truck fuel pump. Than I’ll be moving forward on the lines. before I install the motor and trans. So I have room to work with.

35A836BC-E901-4903-BE09-DE6747741D0C.png

DDF122B2-AE89-4575-934C-CF0BEA38C3A6.jpeg

If I use the stock gauges no problem. Most after market gauges will work with standard vss. The issue I have is the tack signal comes from the pcm so that might be more of an issue than the speedo.
I believe the aftermarket gauges will work if they are the electronic ones. I was looking at a set of 6 on Amazon for 240.00.

That looks like a good way to go but I believe the dodge trucks have a speed sensor on top of the rear axle pinion

Let me say all my research is for a 96. I think the systems from 94 to 97 were pretty close, however I believe the 94 had some differences. I think the 94 has the PCM control one coil pack and a separate module control the second col pack......not sure about it thou. The auto transmission control is also different on the 94.

On my 96 the speed signal for the speedo and PCM comes from the VSS on the tail of the trans. It is in the same place the mechanical cable goes on a 727. The tone ring on the axle/hubs is for RWAL or 4WABS.

Allot of it depends on how you plan to do engine/transmission management. If you are going to use an after market computer you can keep your original gauges and speedo by using the '67 sensors and adapting them to your V10. You could use the stock speedo cable by using the mechanical hook up from a 727 on the trans tail stock.

If you have a 94 auto trans then you have it a little easier that me because the only electronics needed on the 94 is a signal for OD solenoid and torque converter lock up solenoid. The governor/line pressure is still controlled mechanically on the '94 year, just like a 727. You could simply hook up toggle switches to turn on the OD and TCC when you wanted to. I did this on a 518 that I adapted to a 440 in a 63 Sport. My '96 trans has the governor/line pressure, OD and TCC controlled by the PCM so that is one reason I decided to use the stock computer. Had I went with an aftermarket I would have had to change to an older trans, like yours, or I would have had to figure out a way to control the trans I have.

I’m working on this 67 Plymouth. That I will be putting a 94 Ram 8.0L into. Currently working on putting a fuel tank into to run the original dodge truck fuel pump. Than I’ll be moving forward on the lines. before I install the motor and trans. So I have room to work with.

View attachment 480166

View attachment 480167

AWSOME! I'm glad I'm not the only one to have this crazy idea. What fuel tank are you using? the one out of my truck is a long saddle type tank that would take up my entire trunk and look like crap. I started with the front and you with the back. Lets keep collaborating to save both of us some brain pain.

I believe the aftermarket gauges will work if they are the electronic ones. I was looking at a set of 6 on Amazon for 240.00.

Cool please post the link. Below are the specs for 94 to 96 gauge cluster. You must make sure whatever gauges you choose work in these parameters or you will get improper readings. Fuel Gauge/Low Lamp gets its input from the fuel tank module in the tank. Oil pressure gauge gets its input from the oil sensor just behind the oil filter. Speedo gets its input from the VSS. Tach gets its input from the PCM. Temp Gauge from the sensor on the thermostat cover. Volt meter from ignition switch in RUN position. Hope this helps.

upload_2021-8-10_9-12-55.png

Last edited:
AWSOME! I'm glad I'm not the only one to have this crazy idea. What fuel tank are you using? the one out of my truck is a long saddle type tank that would take up my entire trunk and look like crap. I started with the front and you with the back. Lets keep collaborating to save both of us some brain pain.
The fuel tank I am using is out of a 93-98 jeep gran Cherokee(ZJ).so that the stock pump will place in. No need to worry about correct line pressure if it’s factory. And I’ll most likely use the truck gauges because I currently can’t find the listing to the Amazon gauges.

Ryan you should start a build thread on the slab side years section. Looks like it will be a fun car when done.

What size tires do you have on the back of your car?

thanks

Ryan you should start a build thread on the slab side years section. Looks like it will be a fun car when done.

What size tires do you have on the back of your car?

thanks
What you mean by slab side year section??and they are old Hoosier dirt track tires I tossed on for rollers but are growing on me. They are 8.0/27.0-15

image.jpg

Back