1970 Plymouth Sport Fury V10 Swap Build Thread

“I can't use the stock speedo because it is mechanical and the V10 PCM needs to have the VSS sensor where the cable would go on the trans.”

I think that you have chosen. I don’t see it as a can’t…
Nice layout.

“I can't use the stock speedo because it is mechanical and the V10 PCM needs to have the VSS sensor where the cable would go on the trans.”

I think that you have chosen. I don’t see it as a can’t…
Nice layout.

I could take out the vss and install the cable so the stock Speedo would work but then the pcm would not control the auto trans correctly. If I had a pre ‘96 auto trans I wouldn’t have the issue because it was hydraulic control not computer control. ‘96 and up the line pressure is controlled by the pcm.

We just did a engine and trans swap on a 86 C-10 Chevy, customer went with a 4L60E. We needed to drive the mechanical speedo, the trans used VSS with a stand alone controller. I believe we used this one.
Dakota Digital ECD-200BT-1 Signal to Cable Drive Adaptor, Thread

I do like your new dash layout better though

Thats cool. I looked for something like that before deciding to go with the aftermarket gauges. I never found anything like this.This will help a buddy as he is doing a Hemi swap and wants to keep his stock Speedo. Thanks

I’m also going to use this interface adapter from Dakota digital as it will allow me to fine toon the speed and tack signals from the pcm to the gauges.
Dakota Digital SGI-100BT Universal Speedometer and Tach Interface

Last edited:
Total shot in the dark. May be able to use the setup from about a 1993 Dakota. IIRC, they had a VSS that screwed onto the speedo output, then the cable screwed on to that. Looked like an afterthought even when it was new. But if it works, it may be an easy way out

Total shot in the dark. May be able to use the setup from about a 1993 Dakota. IIRC, they had a VSS that screwed onto the speedo output, then the cable screwed on to that. Looked like an afterthought even when it was new. But if it works, it may be an easy way out

That is exactly what I was looking for but couldn’t find it, I couldn’t remember what vehicle or year it was used on.

I may have to reconsider using my stock speedometer.

That is exactly what I was looking for but couldn’t find it, I couldn’t remember what vehicle or year it was used on.

I may have to reconsider using my stock speedometer.
I'm not 100% sure on the exact year, but I do know it was used in that body style. My 1990 Dakota Convertible uses just a cable. I know the later ones went to using both. By 1997, it was all VSS. But at least it narrows the search down

IIRC 92 may have been the last year for a cable driven speedy meter. I need a new meter for my 92 Dakota and I was at the Pick n Pull a couple weeks ago and looked at a 94 and the meter was electronic.

I got some stuff done today. I installed the upper radiator hose and made an adapter for the mechanical oil pressure gauge. Tomorrow I’m going to finish the lower radiator hose and the transmission coolant lines.

First time using these metal coolant hose’s. Has anyone had experience with these hoses before?

B2B041C9-8BE8-4E38-A36C-023B51258756.jpeg

746408CC-9F1D-40DF-B83F-8D77E970BA39.jpeg

13193CDA-C65A-4B1F-B2D2-D2E644B8F3C4.jpeg

I got some stuff done today. I installed the upper radiator hose and made an adapter for the mechanical oil pressure gauge. Tomorrow I’m going to finish the lower radiator hose and the transmission coolant lines.

First time using these metal coolant hose’s. Has anyone had experience with these hoses before?

View attachment 508325

View attachment 508326

View attachment 508327
Those hoses are trash. Had one the constantly leaked at radiator end and another brand new that had a pin hole in one of the ridges. More than likely you will have nothing but problems with it. Go with traditional rubber flex type hose if you cant find something closer to the shape you need.

Don't have any heat in the shop so working on stuff I can do inside without the wife looking at me like I'm crazy.

So I wanted to make a custom gauge cluster. I already had a full set of autometer 2 3/8 gauges so I decided to use them. I bought some 1/8 inch ABS plastic sheet, some plastic epoxy & acetone. I cut two pieces of plastic one to fit over where the original switches and another for the original speedo. I think it turned out nice. I haven't bought the new speedo or tachometer yet so I didn't cut the holes for them.

cluster 1.jpg

cluster 7.jpg

cluster 3.jpg

cluster 4.jpg

cluster 5.jpg

cluster 6.jpg

cluster 8.jpg

So I got the temp and oil pressure gauges hooked up and got the radiator hoses installed so I could add coolant and run the engine up to temp.
So I started it and run till the thermostat opened and started circulating coolant thru the radiator. The oil pressure at cold idle was at 25 but after it warmed up it dropped to about 15 and the oil pressure lamp came on. When I increased rpm to about 2000 the pressure went up to 60+. I have had big blocks idle at 10 psi before and as long as it made good pressure when rpm increased I didn’t worry about it. I’m going to look up what the spec is for a V10 just for some peace of mind.

Just checked my 1996 Ram Manual, see below. I think I'm OK for now. What I can't figure out is if the spec is 12 to 25 at hot idle why is the light coming on when it drops below 20 psi on my gauge. Maybe the sensor is bad. I trust the auto meter gauge more than a 25 year old sensor.

1644204210605.png

I had to shorten my driveshaft by 5 inches to compensate for the 47re OD transmission.

So my project today was cut, grind and weld. Turned out nice.

282EB1F0-A533-47B4-ACC3-F8D7E5A9826C.jpeg

742F4AF4-EE29-4F7D-820D-9ABEEB7625E4.jpeg

So the day I was going to shorten my driveshaft I called my pops to get advise on how to make sure I did it correctly. I have seen him do it probably 30 times in my life and never had a problem with the finished product. I talked with him for about 30 minutes on how to do it and told him I loved him at the end of the call.

He passed away that night in his sleep at home. He was my hero and I will miss him every day for the rest of my life. A word of advise if you ever feel like you need to call your dad, DO IT, because you never know.

My condolences as well, it sure is great that you made that call. I'm sure he shared some excellent advice he had learned over the years, and it definitely provides a certain amount of sentimentality to your amazing build.

Back